PDA

View Full Version : Break-In Specific Lube?

Dionysusigma
01-18-11, 11:47
Something I've been thinking about for a long time has been the selection and specific use of various lubricants for firearms. There's been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of oil (and its many formulas), grease, moly, graphite, and other dry lubes.

Some swear by grease, like the slide rails of a pistol. Others say oil is enough. Some use nothing but CLP,and others say that Mobil 1 is just as good (if not better because of the price).

Thinking about engine break-in periods (specifically within the aviation field), I had learned that for newly-built or recently-overhauled engines, a straight mineral oil with no detergents and the like is required in order for the various interfacing surfaces to mate correctly, increasing the total Mean Time Between Overhauls and reliability of the engine.

Firearms share a lot of similar operating pressures, analogous parts, and temperatures with engines, and I was wondering if the same philosophy regarding engine break-in could be applied and be as beneficial in the world of firearms.

There are a few obvious differences, such as engines having a complete oil system with pumps and crank cases and oil pans, where firearms do not. Engines do not require stripping and cleaning after every use, which is generally accepted to be a necessity for firearms. Engines use filters for air, oil, and fuel to keep contaminants at bay, whereas firearms have none of these.

So, am I making this out to be more complicated than I should?

Or, if I'm onto something, what would be a good "break-in" lube for a newly-built firearm?

Littlelebowski
01-18-11, 11:51
You are way, way, WAY overthinking this. Get out and shoot!

Iraqgunz
01-18-11, 13:49
Only you can decide what is best. We have had at least a half dozen lube threads here in just the last year.