PDA

View Full Version : FN SLP reliability/operation vs Benelli M4?

Entropy
01-18-11, 13:52
The extent of my experience with autoloading SGs is the 11-87 which I've found to be finicky about ammo, and starts to have problems with a little dirt in the action. So, for many years now I've been using 870s.

However, my duty options have resently expanded to the Benelli M4 and FN SLP. Unfortunately, my agency will not purchase these weapons for me and I must aquire them as civilian legal SGs on my own dime.

I've shot both shotguns, and either one will fill my needs. I kinda like the FN, but I was curious as to other user's experiences with this shotgun. I haven't field stripped the FN or Benelli, so I am curious if both share a similar gas operating system. From what I've read, the M4 will be the harder use SG and maintain good reliability under the harshest conditions, but I'm wondering just how far behind the SLP is. For those you that have run your SLP hard, how does it do? Does the operating system handle a pretty wide range of ammo? I want a top performer, but if I can get a $900 SG that will do the same thing as the $1500 SG, I'll have more money left over for ammo and training. Thanks.

arizona98tj
01-22-11, 22:17
The extent of my experience with autoloading SGs is the 11-87 which I've found to be finicky about ammo, and starts to have problems with a little dirt in the action. So, for many years now I've been using 870s.

However, my duty options have resently expanded to the Benelli M4 and FN SLP. Unfortunately, my agency will not purchase these weapons for me and I must aquire them as civilian legal SGs on my own dime.

I've shot both shotguns, and either one will fill my needs. I kinda like the FN, but I was curious as to other user's experiences with this shotgun. I haven't field stripped the FN or Benelli, so I am curious if both share a similar gas operating system. From what I've read, the M4 will be the harder use SG and maintain good reliability under the harshest conditions, but I'm wondering just how far behind the SLP is. For those you that have run your SLP hard, how does it do? Does the operating system handle a pretty wide range of ammo? I want a top performer, but if I can get a $900 SG that will do the same thing as the $1500 SG, I'll have more money left over for ammo and training. Thanks.

My review of the FNH SLP Mark1 (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/fnh/slpmk1/slpmk1-1.htm).

I've ran mine at Front Sight. I've put a couple of thousand rounds through mine since getting it....a diet of 1oz. birdshot, 00 buck, and 1 oz. slugs. I use the same gas piston for all three rounds. It also has a heavy piston (designed for rounds over 1.5 oz.). Reliability is very good and I've had no broken parts.

It currently sports an EOTech holo sight. I like that a LOT! Using it is almost like cheating. :D

Another good source of info on the SLP is the Brian Enos forum. It has a pretty good following in the 3 gun competitions and comes up pretty often in those discussions. I'm sure the Benelli is included there as well. You'll get a good idea of how well they do when they get run hard....some of those guys average a pretty high monthly round count between comps and practice.