PDA

View Full Version : Defective Disconnector?

hunter123
01-18-11, 16:53
I just received my new Spike's Battle Trigger today and the disconnector seems to have cracks in it?Has anyone ever seen this?The black lines that you see are actually grooves.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/jeffy351/2011_01180007.jpghttp://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/jeffy351/2011_01180004.jpg

SpankMonkey
01-18-11, 18:21
You need to call them. That is not good.

Marty916
01-18-11, 18:26
It looks like defects in the base material. The machining probably just exposed these voids. You should contact the manufacturer.

Dionysusigma
01-18-11, 18:45
Thirded. My Battle Trigger assembly has nothing of the sort on it. :confused:

SA80Dan
01-18-11, 18:53
Interesting.....as I also recently got one that looked just the same. I took similar pictures to what you have done, and emailed them to Spikes - and they me sent a new disconnector within just a day or two - thumbs up to them for the Customer Service. They will make it right for you - I suspect they have had a bad batch.

hunter123
01-18-11, 19:13
I bought mine from AIM.I sent them pics and am now waiting to hear back from them.

SA80Dan
01-18-11, 19:15
I bought mine from a third party vendor too....just decided to go straight to Spikes about it.

hunter123
01-20-11, 13:16
I contacted Spikes directly and they are sending me a new one.

carbinero
01-20-11, 13:46
Typical with several CMT/Stag/CMMG, etc. I have seen personally and in another thread a few years back, re: stag vs Colt LPK. Inexpensive to swap out. The one installed on my AR functioned fine, but obviously looks disconcerting.

hunter123
01-20-11, 19:17
I am a little dissapointed with purchasing this trigger group.It is supposed to be high quality but how did a disconnector like mine get shipped out.It should have been thrown away.You hear good and bad about spike's products.This is the first Spike's brand AR parts that I have bought.

tracker722
01-20-11, 19:33

SA80Dan
01-20-11, 19:39
I am a little dissapointed with purchasing this trigger group.It is supposed to be high quality but how did a disconnector like mine get shipped out.It should have been thrown away.You hear good and bad about spike's products.This is the first Spike's brand AR parts that I have bought.

To be honest with you, I think it is more cosmetic than anything else....although I agree (and hence why I raised the issue with Spikes too) that this is supposed to be a premium trigger group and you shouldn't have to put up with shoddy toolmarks like that. At least they quickly replace it to make it right - and you can keep the old one as a spare.

I wouldn't be dissapointed until you have gone out and put some time in with that trigger - I have mine in my M&P15-22 and the thing just keeps getting smoother with use - all in all, happy with it for the price.

hunter123
01-20-11, 19:46
Just a thought...since they were all purchased through a third-party vendor, any possibility they were swapped out by the vendor to get rid of bad stock knowing Spikes would make it good?

I'm not sure.Mine was in a sealed bag with a spikes label on it.I'm just looking forward to shooting it.I have heard good things about it.

SomeOtherGuy
01-20-11, 21:22
Just a thought...since they were all purchased through a third-party vendor, any possibility they were swapped out by the vendor to get rid of bad stock knowing Spikes would make it good?

The "battle trigger" has a nickel-boron coating, in fact that's the main thing special about it - it would be extremely obvious if someone substituted a disconnector without that coating, and I don't think you could simulate the coating in any convincing way.

I installed one of these in a build two weeks ago and really like it so far. My disconnect seems to have similar marks, which I didn't really think anything about. I guess I'll call Spike's and see about a replacement too.

Jimbo45
01-21-11, 07:47
I've seen and used many connectors over the years, that looked just like that. I always considered it cosmetic only, and still feel that way, since none of them failed to work properly.

Negolien
01-21-11, 08:24
Hey all,

Not sure how QC could let something like that slip thru unless it was on orders from above. That was someone in QC either doing their job or not doing their job seems to me that didn't "slip" thru on accident. To say it's "only" a cosmetic blemish is a cop out and I' am sure anyone at the company would agree. Kudos on their CS getting things hammered out asap though.

hunter123
01-21-11, 11:13
Hey all,

Not sure how QC could let something like that slip thru unless it was on orders from above. That was someone in QC either doing their job or not doing their job seems to me that didn't "slip" thru on accident. To say it's "only" a cosmetic blemish is a cop out and I' am sure anyone at the company would agree. Kudos on their CS getting things hammered out asap though.

My thoughts exactly.

ST911
01-21-11, 11:16
Several discos like that were seen in a batch of DPMS guns. They ended up being soft, too.

carbinero
01-21-11, 16:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10093

I think the only pics are in posts #1 and 38.

hunter123
01-26-11, 20:07
I received my new disconnector directly from Spikes and it has cracks in it also.:mad:

carbinero
01-26-11, 20:27
Might ease your mind just to order a Colt from SAW or LMT from G&R. It's not a terribly expensive part. I bought a Colt from a local shop for $5.

outrider627
01-26-11, 22:54
Hunter, did you also post this in the Spikes Industry Forum on TOS? There's a thread there with similar looking disconnectors.

SA80Dan
01-27-11, 08:07
I received my new disconnector directly from Spikes and it has cracks in it also.:mad:

FWIW, the replacement I got back also had some marks in it, but not anywhere near the contact surfaces (like my first one), so I'm not concerned.

hunter123
01-27-11, 13:18
This one is not as bad as the first one.I'm going to install it and run it.

HeavyDuty
01-27-11, 21:55
IMO those aren't cracks - they're a result of the stamping process used to produce the part. Still not desirable, though.

Mac5.56
01-27-11, 22:03
IMO those aren't cracks - they're a result of the stamping process used to produce the part. Still not desirable, though.

Agreed they do not look like cracks, but folds rather. Not saying they are a good thing, but they may not be as big of a deal as you are thinking they are.

HeavyDuty
01-27-11, 22:29
Exactly - you see these same work marks when some kinds of sheet is sheared.

SA80Dan
01-28-11, 08:28

I agree - its only potentially an issue if they extend onto the contact surfaces. Unfortunately, that does seem to be happening with a few of these. My first one was one of these - there was a stamping mark/groove right through the hook.

ST911
01-28-11, 10:39
I'd be interested in hearing from metallurgical guys on this one. What's up with these, what's the process that causes them, and what are the likely problems associated?

In the interim, I note that these discos are being found in good-as guns, but not appearing in the GTG guns. I think that's telling me something.

jklaughrey
01-28-11, 13:25
Go with a Colt LPK or one from Grant. BCM's and DD's are also good. Everything else, well...cross your fingers.

SomeOtherGuy
01-28-11, 14:14
Go with a Colt LPK or one from Grant. BCM's and DD's are also good. Everything else, well...cross your fingers.

I don't think BCM sells their own LPK. For a while all they had was DPMS (yay), recently it seems they are selling Stag/CMT LPK which is likely much better. Whatever they put in their complete lowers, unless it's one of those two, apparently isn't something they sell as a LPK.

jklaughrey
01-28-11, 14:16
TY God no more DPMS. At least Paul and his guys check whatever brand(probably CMT) before they ship it. That is more why I say BCM due to QC and CS.