PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on This Doublestar Rifle.

hmbeal
01-18-11, 17:19
I have been reading through the post and have been trying to make a educated decision on my first AR rifle purchase. I am budget controlled by the boss of the house and Colt, Daniel Defense, and BCM are not in my allowed spending budget. I'm also not prepared to try and build my own rifle as I really know nothing about AR rifles but would love to try it at some point just not with my first rifle. I found this rifle and the boss has given me the approval to order it but this is the max I'm allowed to spend and she is not overly exited about it. But anyways I was hoping for some feed back on this particular rifle. Thanks

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411542008

Mr. Biggles
01-18-11, 17:24
I have been reading through the post and have been trying to make a educated decision on my first AR rifle purchase. I am budget controlled by the boss of the house and Colt, Daniel Defense, and BCM are not in my allowed spending budget. I'm also not prepared to try and build my own rifle as I really know nothing about AR rifles but would love to try it at some point just not with my first rifle. I found this rifle and the boss has given me the approval to order it but this is the max I'm allowed to spend and she is not overly exited about it. But anyways I was hoping for some feed back on this particular rifle. Thanks

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411542008

Or,

Click this link, and get a fully built lower, and add your own upper.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BLT-LWR

lethal dose
01-18-11, 17:32
Dude. Did you REALLY read the threads? If that's all you can afford, you certainly won't be able to afford to shoot it. No logic there, bro. Save a little longer or pass.

dennisuello
01-18-11, 17:44
Save a little longer or pass.

another $100 or so and you can get a basic BCM rifle.

Iraqgunz
01-18-11, 17:56
I can only assume that you skimmed through those threads and didn't read them.

Unless you have 100% proof that a gun ban is going into effect next week then just wait. Even with the carbine that is pictured you will still need a rear BUIS.

You will also need lubricant, ammunition and magazines. If those aren't in the budget either then you may as well just buy a Glock pistol or a shotgun.

You can buy a complete BCM upper for about 510.00. Add a Mapgul MOE handguard and you are at 545.00 or so. Then add in a decent quality lower and a rear BUIS and you will be close to the price of the DS. You don't need to build anything. You simply drop the upper onto the lower and push in the pins. I know for a fact that there is a website that has complete LMT lowers for for 310.00. So for about 100.00 more you can have a better AR.

hmbeal
01-18-11, 18:01
I guess I was hoping for someone to give me some info on this rifle not save more money and get another rifle. Its not about not having the money, I'm not going to spend more than 800 on a AR for my first rifle I would really like to know more about this particular rifle if someone has any input.

RTA
01-18-11, 18:09
I guess I was hoping for someone to give me some info on this rifle not save more money and get another rifle. Its not about not having the money, I'm not going to spend more than 800 on a AR for my first rifle I would really like to know more about this particular rifle if someone has any input.

Would you buy a [crappy car] if a [car of your dreams] was only 200 more?

There you go. What other answer do you need? No one is going to tell you to go ahead, get it, it is good enough...which is what you're fishing for. Because it isn't.

Your tone needs work as well, you're coming here asking for help. No one owes you help.

SpankMonkey
01-18-11, 18:09
I'm not one to pick on people but your thread stands out. I just completed a complete DD (Daniel Defense) carbine build for my kid. Total cost including a new action block and wrench was $736.00

I waited and watched the EE until I found what I needed. Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. You can do much much better than a Double Star rifle. There are so many things wrong with Double Star I really don't know where to begin.

Whatever you decide good luck.

3 AE
01-18-11, 18:12
:stop: The lowest price Bravo Co. rifle on their website is $1025.00 and that doesn't come with a rear sight. That will run you @ $50 to $100. Plus $35.00 shipping and $25 to $35 for the FFL transfer. So your up to $1135 to $1200 for a quality rifle. Colt and other top tier rifles are a little more. I don't know how long it took for you to save up $800 but double it to get to $1600+. You'll want some spare magazines, $75 to $85/6 and 1000 rounds of ammo/$300-$350. It took me an extra year to save the extra amount but in the end I was confident in knowing I wouldn't have any regrets. Be patient and do it right the first time. Your boss will love you for it. :D

GermanSynergy
01-18-11, 18:14
We're not telling you to save for another rifle to be jerks, it's just that DoubleStar isn't known for making quality kit.

Many of the guys here run carbines for a living, or shoot tens of thousands of rounds per year in training classes.

What you're doing is trying to rationalize the purchase of a substandard weapon, against the better advice of folks that know carbines in and out.

Iraqgunz
It's your money, buy what you want. Read the threads and look att he information that has been compiled or posted here.

There is alot of info. Bottom line is that Double Star is not a weapon that I would trust my life to.

You are getting 1x9 which is not as good as 1x7 for real shooters, you are not getting HP/MPI tested and inspected barrels and bolts. There are many other things but I am not going to list it all.

Do the research and then come back here and let us know what you decided. If you want us to simply give our stamp of approval it won't happen.

Kentucky Cop
I know most will not agree with me, but if you HAVE to buy a rifle for less than $700 I would look at the Accurate Tool rifle thread that is going. Just use the search it using the button between FAQ and Calendar at the top right of the screen. Much better for the money.

Again, if you just have to have one at that price but I agree with the posters above. Save a few more and at least get a entry S&W or BCM for cheap.

KC