PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts for Children?

Buckaroo
01-19-11, 14:57
I have an 8yr old daughter who is interested in martial arts training.

I have no background or knowledge in this area but am interested to help her pursue this urge. She is quite athletic and plays soccer at the club level.

Where do I start (other than the phone book).

What would be good for a young child and would be able to hold her interest for a number of years?

What should I avoid? What are the traps in this type of training/sport?

Thanks in advance!

Buckaroo

panzerr
01-19-11, 20:14
Hello. I am a shodon in Matsumura Kenpo. I helped teach the kids class at our dojo in Northern MN for a year or so before I moved out of town and on with my life. I would encourage you to get your daughter into a style at a small, not for profit dojo or a community ed class. I would suggest staying away from for profit dojos as in my experience these are the dojos that tend to encourage their members to put their sights only on obtaining a 'black belt' instead of what really matters -learning the discipline required to put you on the road to mastering your own body and mind. Check your community education booklet and find someone that teaches their year in and year out and doesn't have any affiliation with a for profit dojo.

obucina
01-19-11, 21:14
I started at 8 in American Kenpo. My mom found a small dojo run by an instructor whom I still talk to, 21 years later! He runs a specific schedule for children and is very good with them.

There are a few "chain" dojos in town that remind me of the Randy Couture/American Top Team places..as they literally are black belt factories...just a thought.

panzerr
01-19-11, 21:20
There are a few "chain" dojos in town that remind me of the Randy Couture/American Top Team places..as they literally are black belt factories...just a thought.

I know exactly what you mean...one for profit chain dojo near my house emphasized to their kids class, i say again their KIDS, that the whole point of them training was to 'aqiure' a black belt.

Yeah, I walked out the door when I heard that.

signal4l
01-19-11, 21:48
I attended a Tae Kwon Do class at our park district with my 5 year old son for a few months. He didnt like it. Neither did I.

The class was very much a traditional Korean style. Much emphasis was placed on learning the terms/counting in Korean. We had to bow to the Korean flag at the start of each class. The class was also mixed- adult/children. My son was a bit intimidated.

I will wait a few years and get him involved in American Kenpo.

My suggestion is to get your child in a class that cater to children. Make it fun. Keep it safe and age appropriate.

brantley65
01-20-11, 00:18
My kids have been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 8 months and love it. Their instructor does 3 weeks of BJJ and then 2 weeks of striking whether it be Muy Thai or some other MA striking system. Their instructor is 25 year student of BJJ and received his blackbelt from the Machado (Carlos) BJJ school. I highly recommend it

variablebinary
01-20-11, 01:30
Judo and Jujitsu are very child friendly.

I took many years of Kyokushin, and it was not good for kids due to harsh full contact training. You had to be a sadist nearly.

User Name
01-20-11, 01:42
I am in the process of getting my 9 year old girl into Krav. Hope she never needs it but I will feel more assured if she keeps at it. By 16 watch out!

QuickStrike
01-25-11, 03:46
Depends on your kid's personality. I recommend Muay Thai (kicks at the soccer ball vs. leg kicks, not too different hehe).

There is a pro fighter at this local gym who could absolutely hang with her male training partners. She is truly inspiring, and I pity the fool that messes with her kids!

Find a place that trains active MT or MMA fighters, and see if they have a kid's program. Sign up for the class 2 times a week at first, so she doesn't burn out in interest. Kids tend to lose interest when things become a chore and not fun anymore.

http://www.muaythaionline.org/images/woking180508/wokingfront.jpg

Awesome! :D

Armati
01-25-11, 07:15
For kids....

I recommend traditional sport Judo. Look for a club that actually takes the kids to competitions.

Judo teaches the right mix of traditional respect and discipline, physicality, and is effective self defense without being too violent. It gives kids a good outlet to push and shove each other without anyone really getting hurt.

Judo also transitions naturally to Jujitsu should they decide to say with it.

The striking centered martial arts teach the kids the wrong lesson. It teaches them to square off and pound each other. This is usually not the best idea. You may run into someone who who really knows how to fight. For most school settings, a little kuzushi can be used to great effect to control the situation and embarrass your opponent. Check Youtube for 'kuzushi' but from this video I think you will see how this sort of material would be perfect for kids in most settings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xMVNCY1Gho&feature=related

I would also argue that most grown fighters would do well to learn a little traditional stand up Judo. Kuzushi with outer ankle leg sweep will turn your opponent 90 degrees in mid-air at waist level and drop him on the ground - use your imagination after that. I have used this technique many times in the real world.

In the teen years, you may then want to look at Jujitsu and/or Muay Thai.

Hizzie
01-25-11, 12:03
I took Judo many years ago and still have love for it. Shopping for a Dojo is like buying a car. If the "sales person" oozes out from around a corner and you feel the sudden urge to shower after speaking with him go elsewhere.

QuickStrike
01-25-11, 18:24
IMO, a little kid would probably benefit more from a strike the balls and run game plan, then trying to tie up, or throw (lol) an attacker. Especially a large adult attacker.

Of course if self-defense isn't important then it's not an issue.

superr.stu
01-25-11, 19:08
My sister did Tae Kwon Do for about 6 years and Judo for 2, before she focused more on running. She had very bad ADD growing up, and martial arts really helped her a lot. She learned a lot about focus, control, and she could probably kick my ass. Within a month or two of getting into martial arts she quit taking her medication, and went from a C student in middle school to an A student in HS and College.

Martial arts are kinda like the song "Convoy" by C.W. McCall, It'll change your life!

jklaughrey
01-25-11, 21:59
I didn't start any formal MA (Aikido) till I was an adult. But I started boxing at 8. But I would say boxing is very good for kids, Akido not so much. Still working on my 1st Deg Black, Brown took 3 years!

01-25-11, 22:28
For a child, if you can find a quality Judo dojo, it would be great. Covers all aspects of fighting unlike many MA's. Most fights, especially for children, end up on the ground and knowing what to do is invaluable. Girls can do well. As an aside, while training BJJ, we had a 110lb. girl train with us that rolled well. Leverage and manipulation are key, not necessarily size and strength; though they obviously play a role. Judo covers strikes, clinches/throws, and ground work.

Sensei
01-31-11, 22:37
For boys, the answer is simple: BJJ + Muay Thai or boxing. They can pause the BJJ and transition to wrestling in middle and high school, then pick it up after the season. Many girls hate the ground game, but others do very well.

Krav Maga, Judo, Kali, JKD, and Escrema are also a reasonable choice for both sexes if you don't have access to a good grappling program, or if the kid hates the mat.

I tend to avoid most TKD, aikido, and traditional karate schools.

Gunfighter 9
02-02-11, 12:07
I don't think style is so much an issue as the attitude of the instructor and the dojo. I took Judo as child and teenager and the instructor was very much a mentor to me. He taught me lessons about life as well as martial arts. However, I would stay away from the chain Tae Kwon do places. Most of them are just "black belt" factories. In the end you may need to try a few diffrent styles until the child finds one that fits their particular needs and abilities. Good luck with your choice.

Buckaroo
02-02-11, 18:33
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am watching this thread daily.

Since she is deep into soccer we will have to carve time for MA but I think it will help her to become a better person and that is the goal.

She has a friend who's father teaches. He seems like a great guy and pretty low key. I am going to check out his class. The YMCA also has classes for kids so that may be a starting point for us as well.

Thanks!

Buckaroo

xtremejc
02-02-11, 20:10
Judo or BJJ for sure... My 7 year old is doing both and it's amazing how fast they pick it up and how flexible he is... Finding a good sensei is a different story !!! Good luck in your quest...

kartoffel
02-02-11, 22:40
+1 Gunfighter9

I would shop around based on how the instructors carry themselves and what kind of values the program focuses on. Kids are very flexible and honestly, they won't care if it's taekwondo vs. karate vs. BJJ or anything else. The main thing, especially for any kids of mine, is that the program has good values. Sportsmanship, honor, integrity, etc.

If your kids want to go out for wrestling then yeah, pick something that will train grappling skills. I'll second the recommendation for Judo.

lewis
02-06-11, 20:18
I would recommend BJJ in general and the Gracie Bully Proof program specifically if you can find it in your area.

Winter
02-14-11, 18:46
+1 for Judo or BJJ with emphasis on Judo if possible. These are great for kids because it helps them get comfortable knowing their bodies and how to utilize them and strengthen them. I had an ex that was a 2nd degree Shodo Kan black belt and competed all the time and while I'll be the first to admit that she could kick my ass, she didn't know what to do when I charged her and/or took her to the ground because those disciplines are focused on distance work and a more traditional Karate stance. I know that the gym I go to works great with the little ones to keep their attention and help them have fun, at my gym its not possible for a little one to attain black belt status, they do no submitting but do roll. Once they get older is when chokes and submissions are taught.