PDA

View Full Version : OCS Consideration

Travis B
01-19-11, 16:31
I am a Junior in college, graduating in August. Unfortunately, I wasn't informed about ROTC when I enrolled in college so I never had the opportunity to join. However, I'm considering the military after graduation and I feel the most logical path is Army OCS. I'm not really sure if there is a category where I can discuss the pros and cons of OCS so I won't ask it directly, but if you want to give me some pointers I would GREATLY appreciate it.

But the point of this thread is mostly for the PT aspect of the military. I can already do the push ups/sit ups/2-mile times necessary to get the 60 points per category, but I am miserably out of shape and was wondering if anyone had any pointers about how to increase my push ups and sit ups so that I can get a 100 in each of those categories (I'll be using my former XC training along with Militant's thread on Cutting time off of running (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71401) to get my running times better). I know that I need to just keep busting out push ups and sit ups, but how many days do you recommend I do each exercise? I don't want to overwork those muscle groups and figure there are other training exercises that will work the opposite muscle groups but I'm wondering what those workouts are.

Thanks!

13F3OL7
01-19-11, 19:08
Military Athlete has a program designed that's designed to help you max the APFT. It's pretty rough, but effective. To get to a level where you might feel comfortable putting yourself through that program, the Army's new PT manual, TC 3-22.20, would be a good place to start. It's what the Army is transitioning to instead of the old FM 21-20. Based off of what I was told during a class on it, units who have transitioned to it have shown decreased injuries and an increase in PT scores.

ETA: In the new manual it gives you a schedule with exercises, repetitions, and so on. It takes away a lot of guess work on what you need to do, when to do it, and how much to do. It also shows how to modify most of the exercises in case you do become injured.

Travis B
01-19-11, 19:14
Military Athlete has a program designed that's designed to help you max the APFT. It's pretty rough, but effective. To get to a level where you might feel comfortable putting yourself through that program, the Army's new PT manual, TC 3-22.20, would be a good place to start. It's what the Army is transitioning to instead of the old FM 21-20. Based off of what I was told during a class on it, units who have transitioned to it have shown decreased injuries and an increase in PT scores.

From football and basketball workouts to Dark Knight workout (with great results, I might add), I somewhat enjoy pushing myself to the max. That being said, I've never done Military Athlete, so I don't know how rough it actually is. I'll definitely look into the new PT manual. I'm taking a Military Science class this semester so I'll ask them if I can get a copy.

13F3OL7
01-19-11, 19:24
Here's a link to the new PT manual in PDF format.

http://sergeantstimetraining.com/files/TC_3_22_20_physical_training.pdf

SethB
01-19-11, 19:35
**** the new PT.

If you want to be in the kind of shape that the Army wants its officers to be in, you need to CrossFit or do the Military Athlete workouts.

13F3OL7
01-19-11, 19:44
**** the new PT.

If you want to be in the kind of shape that the Army wants its officers to be in, you need to CrossFit or do the Military Athlete workouts.

I agree with you on that, that's why I don't use it. It was merely a suggestion to try to bring him to a base level where he might be better able to complete the training sessions based off what was in the original post. CrossFit though still hard, would be the better of the two as it is scalable.

Gombey
01-19-11, 19:59
I HATE pushups with a passion. But there are two things that I do to keep my PT score up.

One is hard to explain, but it's called ladders. You do one pushup, go to your knees and (for lack of a better way to explain it) "raise the roof" then assume the font leaning rest, knock out two then go back to your knees again and raise the roof twice. I figure you get the point. But do that till you get to 8 then go back down to one.

The other one is a lot easier to do and explain. Do 10 pushups every min for 10 mins.

Once you improve you can add to the workout. I.e go to 10 on the ladders and do 15 for 10

Good luck mate

Travis B
01-19-11, 20:27
I agree with you on that, that's why I don't use it. It was merely a suggestion to try to bring him to a base level where he might be better able to complete the training sessions based off what was in the original post. CrossFit though still hard, would be the better of the two as it is scalable.

I found the APFT plan for purchase on miltaryathlete.com. That's the one you're referring to, correct? I'm definitely not ready for the Operator Sessions!

I'm thinking about working out with the ROTC guys so we'll see how that goes.

13F3OL7
01-20-11, 09:57
Yes. That is the one I was reffering to.