PDA

View Full Version : Cominolli Custom Glock Thumb Safety

Kchen986
01-19-11, 17:45
All,

Anyone have experience with the Cominolli Custom Glock thumb safety?

http://www.cominolli.com/ourproducts.html

Are Glock connectors still useable with the cominolli custom thumb safety?

Any drawbacks to this safety?

Looking for personal experience and other useful feedback.

Please refrain from saying something like, "My finger is my safety" or "If you want an external safety, buy another gun/M&P/HK/etc.." Or "Putting a safety on a glock is pointless."

I'm extremely happy with my G19 in terms of size, trigger, function, one thing that I would definitely want however, is a 1911 style safety.

Thanks in Advance.

AngeredKabar
01-19-11, 18:24
I think I see how it works. It raises a bar to block the trigger bar from traveling backwards. My eyes tell me you should be able to use whatever spring/connector you want.

CANDERSEN
01-19-11, 18:32
I have installed several and really like them - I am an old time 1911 shooter and am "hard wired" to push off the safety on my side arm.

Chris

Kchen986
01-19-11, 18:41
Awesome. Thanks for the responses so far. Does the safety 'click' off a la 1911, or is it a little mushy?

Thanks!

graffex
01-19-11, 19:08
Putting a safety on a Glock is pointless.

dsg2003gt
01-19-11, 19:14
Putting a safety on a Glock is pointless.

its already got like 3 to begin with!

Littlelebowski
01-19-11, 19:44
Let's see here. Take a proven design and add aftermarket, unneeded stuff to it. NO.

It's not that hard to shoot an M&P. The HK P30S is also out.

jmoore
01-19-11, 21:39
I have installed several and really like them - I am an old time 1911 shooter and am "hard wired" to push off the safety on my side arm.

Chris

I have a couple of glocks, and I shoot them better than the M&P (shoot the 1911s better than any of them:) If Illinois every went CC, I'd still carry the M&P over the glocks d/t to the lack of an affirmative safety on the glocks. Glad to hear there is a viable safety option for the glocks.

john

oldtexan
01-20-11, 10:38
All,

Anyone have experience with the Cominolli Custom Glock thumb safety?

http://www.cominolli.com/ourproducts.html

Are Glock connectors still useable with the cominolli custom thumb safety?

Any drawbacks to this safety?

Looking for personal experience and other useful feedback.

Please refrain from saying something like, "My finger is my safety" or "If you want an external safety, buy another gun/M&P/HK/etc.." Or "Putting a safety on a glock is pointless."

I'm extremely happy with my G19 in terms of size, trigger, function, one thing that I would definitely want however, is a 1911 style safety.

Thanks in Advance.

I have two G19s and two G34s, all with the Cominolli safety. I installed three myself and had one installed professionally. I used Cominolli's installation fixture; I recommend using it if you're installing the safety yourself.

The safeties seem to work fine with the various connector/trigger spring combinations I've tried, but i haven't tried all the available combinations.

The four guns have fired about 5k rds collectively with the safeties installed, with one stovepipe on one G19.

I am an old 1911 shooter with lots of muscle memory to facilitate operating the safety. If I did not have that muscle memory, I would not view the manual safety so positively.

The Cominolli appealed to me because I wanted to reduce the probability of NDs when reholstering and when retrieving the gun from the nightstand drawer in the middle of the night.

The Cominolli is somewhat "mushier" than a properly adjusted 1911 safety, IMO. Fortunately its stiffness can be adjusted to a degree. Initially i had some inadvertent movement of a couple of the safeties; they have been adjusted to be stiffer now, and don't move unless I move them.

The safety does affect the fit of Kydex holsters; can't speak for leather. I was easily able to mod my Ravens and Comp-tac to acommodate the safety.

I bought these Glocks and installed the safeties in 2008, before it became clear to me that the M&P would be prove itself to be a reliable durable handgun, and before I even knew of the H&K P30. If I had it to do all over now, I might just go with the M&P, or the H&K P30.

All other things being equal, I prefer not to put non-OEM parts on a defense gun.

bigghoss
01-20-11, 11:52
I'm of the opinion that if you want a gun with an external thumb safety then you should buy one that comes with that feature from the factory.

and if you really want a glock then you need to become comfortable with it's lack of an external thumb safety by studying it and becoming intimately familiar with the gun and how it functions. then you won't shoot yourself in the leg in front of a classroom full of schoolkids and wind up on youtube.:D

glocks are known for their reliability and are perfectly safe the way they are. best not to go mucking around inside with aftermarket parts that affect the function.

Gewehr3
03-02-13, 20:48
NECRO POST Bump

Does anyone else have first person experience with the Cominolli safety, and would like to share their experience with it? The ergonomics of the thumb ledge looks poor.

Since, Glock will add an OEM thumb safety for some agencies, and installation of the Cominolli safety doesn't void the warranty. Glock apparently doesn't think there is a reliability issue with it.

Thanks.

mkmckinley
03-02-13, 21:02
I handled a G19 in the shop that had one of these things installed. It wasn't very refined and it was pretty hard and uncomfortable to engage the safety. The good thing is that it looked easy to remove.

azeriosu85
03-03-13, 00:06
Ewww gross...

No Thanks

Littlelebowski
03-03-13, 05:47
Since, Glock will add an OEM thumb safety for some agencies, and installation of the Cominolli safety doesn't void the warranty. Glock apparently doesn't think there is a reliability issue with it.

Thanks.

Where are you getting this data?

Magic_Salad0892
03-03-13, 06:26
Where are you getting this data?

They did it for the Mexican police. There are pics online. There were reliability issues.

I think the British police had 'em too a few years back.

twistedcomrade
03-03-13, 08:37
Anyone have any pics of Glocks with these safties installed? The link is not working for me. I don't want one, I am just curious. I'm perfectly happy with my Glocks from the factory.

Airhasz
03-03-13, 08:39
Anyone have any pics of Glocks with these safties installed? The link is not working for me. I don't want one, I am just curious. I'm perfectly happy with my Glocks from the factory.

Google image is your friend..:p

ARaz
03-03-13, 09:13
Man-o-man. Another embarrassing solution to a nonexistent problem.

Gewehr3
03-03-13, 12:04
Tazmanian Police Glock w/ OEM thumb safety. It could definitely be more refined. A thumb safety would be useful for AWIB or other situations. Having options in never a bad thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/G22S.jpg

Littlelebowski
03-03-13, 12:16
Tazmanian Police Glock w/ OEM thumb safety. It could definitely be more refined. A thumb safety would be useful for AWIB or other situations. Having options in never a bad thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/G22S.jpg

**** that. There's better solutions out there like Todd Green's gadget.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DOA
03-03-13, 12:17
If you don't trust yourself, your holster or your pistol, please don't carry a firearm. The only safety is your brain.

High Altitude
03-03-13, 15:10
IMO I would pass.

The safety needs to be shaped and orientated more 1911ish to be used. Doesn't look like you can get a good thumbs forward grip with your thumb on the safety.

Go M&P or 1911.

samuse
03-03-13, 15:30
I ran a Glock 26 with the Comminoli a few years ago.

I didn't like it.

It didn't have a very positive engagement and the shape/location of the lever was somewhat awkward. The lever relies on friction (it drags on the frame) instead of having detents to hold it in the engaged/disengaged positions.

Since the frame and trigger housing on Glocks is plastic, and the trigger bar is a thin piece of stamped sheet metal, the trigger still has quite a bit of movement and the safety could be defeated by merely pulling on the trigger pretty hard (I'm guessing 20lbs or so).

c3006
03-03-13, 15:46
Am I really gonna get to be the first one to say " my finger is my safety" ?

Magic_Salad0892
03-03-13, 18:31

I agree. I would love to see them released.

BTW: That gun is the Mexican police gun, and British police gun I mentioned earlier.

(I don't think the British police use the thumb safety version anymore.)

Gewehr3
03-03-13, 20:13
I ran a Glock 26 with the Comminoli a few years ago.

I didn't like it.

It didn't have a very positive engagement and the shape/location of the lever was somewhat awkward. The lever relies on friction (it drags on the frame) instead of having detents to hold it in the engaged/disengaged positions.

Since the frame and trigger housing on Glocks is plastic, and the trigger bar is a thin piece of stamped sheet metal, the trigger still has quite a bit of movement and the safety could be defeated by merely pulling on the trigger pretty hard (I'm guessing 20lbs or so).

Thank you for adding info of actual substance to this thread. This was the type of info I needed.

Gewehr3
03-03-13, 20:17

Well, currently the Gadget is vaporware only. The existing Glock thumb and crossbolt safeties are lacking in excution but the concept has merit. Different storkes and all that.

Gewehr3
03-03-13, 20:22
Am I really gonna get to be the first one to say " my finger is my safety" ?

Pretty ignorant to base your safety on a line from some movie. I don't see Lamb, Vickers, Jeff Gonzales, or Howe removing the safties from their rifles. Shit happens. Good luck with that.:D

High Altitude
03-04-13, 12:36
Pretty ignorant to base your safety on a line from some movie. I don't see Lamb, Vickers, Jeff Gonzales, or Howe removing the safties from their rifles. Shit happens. Good luck with that.:D

Rifles aren't carried in holsters.

Littlelebowski
03-04-13, 13:37

OK, but the Glock has a safety on the trigger

Heavy Metal
03-04-13, 13:51

I would bet $50 when real Delta guys see that stupid line in the movie, they cringe......and not just a little.

Hollywood has to put their two cents into everything, no matter how contrary to the real thing it happens to be.

Heavy Metal
03-04-13, 13:52
Rifles aren't carried in holsters.

So that would make the holster and not your finger the safety?

D. Christopher
03-04-13, 14:15
I see enough people on the range dropping mags and having unexpected slide lock because they listened to some gun shop or internet expert and put an extended mag release or slide lock on their brand new pistol. Not because they learned through experience that they needed it, but because someone recommended it. These aftermarket safeties are more of the same.

An unmodified Glock is just as safe as a revolver in all aspects EXCEPT when holstering, due to the fact you can't block the hammer with your thumb to detect and prevent an accidental trigger snag. In all other modes of operation it is at least as safe, if not safer due to additional safeties that revolvers don't have. If you can't safely operate one without an additional safety installed you need more training, or you need a different weapon.

And all the problems the Mexican and British police were having with their pistols were traced back to a common cause. It's because the operators were Mexican, or British! :sarcastic:

DWood
03-04-13, 15:34
.............. I don't see Lamb, Vickers, Jeff Gonzales, or Howe removing the safties from their rifles.......

I don't see them adding after market safeties to their Glocks either.

Littlelebowski
03-04-13, 16:08
I don't see them adding after market safeties to their Glocks either.

Boom. Logic bomb.

DocGKR
03-05-13, 00:47
I am a big fan of having a manual safety on a pistol as I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... Likewise, I have witnessed Glocks inadvertently fire when the trigger got caught on a piece of clothing/gear, despite the shooters finger NOT being in the trigger guard. The availability of an ergonomic manual safety is one of the main advantages of the M&P over Glock--so much so that I plan on dropping my Glocks and going exclusively to M&P's w/ambi safeties.

kmrtnsn
03-05-13, 03:20
I am a big fan of having a manual safety on a pistol as I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing

I'm sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with you here as I find these to be horrible examples to favor the use of manual safeties. I find these anecdotal examples to be full of fail from the get-go. These same argument could be made for greater use of magazine disconnect safeties, as well as other mechanical devices other than safeties. Hoping that an adversary who somehow has the wherewithal to disarm an officer but will lack the capacity to figure out how to operate said handgun's safety mechanism as a justification for a manual safety is attacking the wrong end of the problem. I proffer that in these scenarios as you describe, said assailants were going to take a life and likely prevail whether these handguns functioned traditionally or were used as a blunt force instruments as there are a host of other more important issues at play there than the weapons manipulation skills of the untrained. The redundancy of a manual safety on said weapons was not going to alter the mindset of the assailants, never mind how these anecdotal situations came to be in the first place, which there most likely is not a mechanical solution for. On the majority of modern service weapons manual safeties are the equivalent of whitewalls on tires or vinyl covering on hardtops; some may find them aesthetically pleasing but in reality they serve no functional purpose.

domestique
03-05-13, 04:05
I prefer my striker pistols to have NO safeties, just another thing to get missed during draw under time of duress. The only handgun that I own that has a safety is my 1911, and I hardly if ever use that for concealed carry (rang/barbecue gun). I feel the same way about magazine disconnects. Spend some time doing force on force drills and you will see for yourself that just the added step of clicking off a safety under duress can get you killed.

There are a lot of guns on the market (Some of Ruger’s offerings) that make their safeties soo small, and soo hard to disengage that it no longer becomes a gross motor skill but a fine motor skill. I have no problem carrying a loaded, WELL MAINTAINED striker fire pistol in appendix carry with the barrel pointing at my manhood. In a well maintained kydex holster it should never go off.

I do see the benefit of law enforcement and having their service pistols in plain view and more susceptible to gun grabs, but I always questions stories like Doc’s with how the bad guy even got control of the gun in the first place. With retention holsters, retention techniques, and commanding the situation, no bad guy should ever get within bad breathe of your pistol.

DanjojoUSMC
03-05-13, 07:53
In discussions like the ones in this thread people seem to forget that everybody messes up at times. You are not less cool for having a pistol less likely to fire by unintentional trigger pressure.

Littlelebowski
03-05-13, 07:54
In discussions like the ones in this thread people seem to forget that everybody messes up at times. You are not less cool for having a pistol less likely to fire by unintentional trigger pressure.

Nor are you less cool for not modifying a perfectly safe factory pistol or seeking training.

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 09:11
I am a big fan of having a manual safety on a pistol as I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... Likewise, I have witnessed Glocks inadvertently fire when the trigger got caught on a piece of clothing/gear, despite the shooters finger NOT being in the trigger guard. The availability of an ergonomic manual safety is one of the main advantages of the M&P over Glock--so much so that I plan on dropping my Glocks and going exclusively to M&P's w/ambi safeties.

I can understand the concern for an officer, in certain cases. But in my opinion, as a civilian who carries concealed, that's not a likelyhood for me. If somebody is close enough to gain control of my pistol, they're getting stabbed.

DocGKR
03-05-13, 10:29
In the incidents I have witnessed the officers had NO way to mitigate the threat prior to losing the pistol, despite adequate training and retention holsters. The manual safety gave officers a brief respite to neutralize the suspect using disarming techniques, access back-up weapons, and allow cover officers the opportunity to react and engage. I am not suggesting anyone modify their Glocks; I am stating that having used a variety of pistols on military and LE duty, as well as for CCW over the past 30 years, I now strongly prefer pistols with a manual safety based on my direct experiences with both types. Other individuals will have disparate experiences and will make different choices.

jonconsiglio
03-05-13, 18:12
I can understand the concern for an officer, in certain cases. But in my opinion, as a civilian who carries concealed, that's not a likelyhood for me. If somebody is close enough to gain control of my pistol, they're getting stabbed.

That's easy to say... But even with a decent amount of hand to hand and edged weapons, that's not a claim I'd personally make.... though I would like to think is a possibility.

Shit happens fast and hard, usually with us trying to first figure out what the hell is going on, then after we figure it out, we need to react. We are at an extreme disadvantage in that regard.

Personally, I carry Glocks (again), but I certainly see the advantage in a thumb safety when it comes to buying yourself precious seconds.

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 18:19
That's easy to say... But even with a decent amount of hand to hand and edged weapons, that's not a claim I'd personally make...

Point taken, and you're right that it's probably an arrogant thing for me to state, but I think that against an untrained attacker I'd be able to offer a fair resistance.

That said, I'm going to be carrying a 1911 as soon as the one I'm working on right now is finished. I want to be trained with both types of weapons, as I feel as though it helps me grow more as a shooter.

(Scored a 1991 commander, never fired, for $750. Gunbroker is great.)

domestique
03-05-13, 20:47
As a non-LEO CCW holder (who isn't in vulnerable positions such as cuffing a suspect etc.) I find the likely hood of me drawing and fumbling with a safety under stress a higher chance than having my weapon taken from me and the safety saving my life.

I choose no safety, but it's nice to see companies offering different products to those that want a safety. I personally would go Doc's route and just buy a M&P with a safety already installed than modify an existing pistol with an aftermarket part.

Airhasz
03-05-13, 21:56
I agree with others 'train with the existing trigger safety, it will soon feel normal.

Steve S.
03-06-13, 00:17

Good trigger finger discipline will only only save you from NDs, not ADs. The holster is a HUGE reason why handguns are acceptable to run without safeties. The other biggest reason IMO is the trigger pull weight vs weight of the firearm.

The danger of carrying long gun with no safety is gear can snag the trigger, and the weight of the firearm exceeds the weight of the trigger pull.

High Altitude was correct. The trigger finger is the safety against NDs, and the holster is the safety against ADs. Long guns don't go in holsters to protect the trigger, so they have an external safety.

Steve S.
03-06-13, 00:21
In the incidents I have witnessed the officers had NO way to mitigate the threat prior to losing the pistol, despite adequate training and retention holsters. The manual safety gave officers a brief respite to neutralize the suspect using disarming techniques, access back-up weapons, and allow cover officers the opportunity to react and engage. I am not suggesting anyone modify their Glocks; I am stating that having used a variety of pistols on military and LE duty, as well as for CCW over the past 30 years, I now strongly prefer pistols with a manual safety based on my direct experiences with both types. Other individuals will have disparate experiences and will make different choices.

I'd love to hear the circumstances of these gun grabs that defeated an active retention holster.

^^ Not confrontational. It's hard to tell tone on the Internet. I'm genuinely curious about the events.

domestique
03-06-13, 00:56
I'd love to hear the circumstances of these gun grabs that defeated an active retention holster.

^^ Not confrontational. It's hard to tell tone on the Internet. I'm genuinely curious about the events.

IIRC, One that I heard of before was a female LEO that was attacked by a crazy man. She lost control of her gun but when he went to shoot her the safety was on I think a 1911) and he stumbled with it allowing her to pull a back up.

I believe Massad Ayoob has written articles about it in a Guns & Ammo "Handguns" article.

jonconsiglio
03-06-13, 01:15
There's a few dashcam videos out there of gun grabs as well. Even though it's rare, there certainly have been documented cases where the officer's gun was taken, but the safety bought him the extra time to regain control.

There's also a larger percentage of gun grabs where the officer did not regain control.

The one time I had an officer actually ask for my gun, I was carrying a 1911. He nearly put a bullet into my car as he was trying to figure out how to get the round out of the chamber. At one point, he put his finger on the trigger almost as if he wanted to drop the hammer like he was field stripping his Glock. Another officer grabbed it from him before things got worse. The whole time he never disengaged the safety.

D. Christopher
03-06-13, 03:02
About 4 years ago an officer on duty in Nashville had his Glock taken away and while wrestling for control with the BG the officer was able to hit the mag release and dump the mag and maintain enough directional control of the weapon so that the 1 round left in the chamber was discharged in a safe direction, and didn't strike anyone. I believe there was another officer there with him and together they regained control of the situation.

In this instance I'm not sure if the BG grabbed the Glock from the officer's holster or if the officer had drawn his weapon and then lost control. Either way the officer was very lucky that time.

DWood
03-06-13, 06:21
In this instance I'm not sure if the BG grabbed the Glock from the officer's holster or if the officer had drawn his weapon and then lost control.

The answer to that question plays a huge role in the context of the discussion. If the gun was drawn by the officer, the safety should have been disengaged and the safety buying time is a moot point.

If the gun was taken out of his retention holster, Steve's question about how that happened is the question that needs answering.

D. Christopher
03-06-13, 09:03
The answer to that question plays a huge role in the context of the discussion. If the gun was drawn by the officer, the safety should have been disengaged and the safety buying time is a moot point.

If the gun was taken out of his retention holster, Steve's question about how that happened is the question that needs answering.

The pistol was a stock Glock. There was no thumb safety to disengage, so it didn't play a part in this instance.

High Altitude
03-07-13, 23:46

No, it is the reason why rifles must have an external safety compared to pistols.

DocGKR
06-15-13, 13:41
As previously noted, I have long preferred having a manual safety on my pistol, as I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing --I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc.... In the incidents I have witnessed the officers had NO way to mitigate the threat prior to losing the pistol, despite adequate training and good quality Safariland retention holsters. All the DT/retention techniques in the world do not help when an officer is on the ground unconscious/semi-conscious. A manual safety can give officers a brief respite to neutralize the suspect using disarming techniques, access back-up weapons, and allow cover officers the opportunity to react and engage.

I have also seen several Glocks inadvertently fire when a piece of equipment inadvertently depressed the trigger, despite the shooter’s finger being outside of the trigger guard, straight against the frame--an engaged manual safety would have prevented these accidents.

In addition, for those carrying pistols AIWB, a manual safety is a prudent precaution.

The availability of an ergonomic manual safety is one of the main advantages of the M&P over Glock--so much so that I frequently contemplate dropping Glocks and going exclusively to M&P's w/ambi safeties.

Given the above, I have always been interested in the Cominolli Glock safety (http://www.cominolli.com/), but did not like the poor ergonomics...until now. Former LE officer and current noted gunsmith Dave Lauck of D&L Sports in Chino AZ (http://www.dlsports.com/) has developed a modified safety lever for Cominolli equipped Glocks that has much better ergonomics, similar to a 1911. We decided to give them a try, as shown below:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/TwoDLGlocks_zps2cbff91f.jpg

Keep in mind that the Cominolli safety does NOT work for left handed shooting, as there is only a safety lever for the right thumb.

The D&L Cominolli safety lever works in the same direction as that on the 1911 or M&P—up is on, down is off to allow firing:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/Safetypositions_zpsa09d3551.jpg

Dave recommends using the Ghost forward bullet slide release ( http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_BFS_BLK/Ghost-Bullet-Forward-Slide-Release-Combat-Black.html) with his enhanced Cominolli safety lever, as shown below:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/DLSafetyandGhostRelease_zpse853079c.jpg

The Ghost Glock forward slide release is positioned in about the same location as safety levers on 1911’s and has proven to work very well—so much so that I’ve now installed them on several other standard Glocks without the Cominolli safety.

The D&L safety equipped Glocks did not pose any problems fitting into a wide variety of holsters, including the superb Safariland 6354DO ALS duty holster.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/DLsafeyin6354DO_zpscede631d.jpg

A couple of tight fitting kydex CCW holsters required some minor trimming or gentle heating and re-shaping, but this was easily accomplished.

While at D&L, Dave also installed his stainless steel G17 barrel with sand cuts ( http://www.dlsports.com/custom-sand-cut-glock-pistol-barrels.html):

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/Barrelgrooves_zpsbbbfc8d1.jpg

Dave believes that the flutes give dirt and grit somewhere to migrate to, instead of grinding between the barrel hood and the inside of the slide, allowing pistols to run smoother and longer when used in dirty conditions.

Initially I was a bit slower getting my first shot off, but as I’ve got used to the D&L safety equipped Glock over a few thousand rounds, my times are getting back to normal on standardized tests like the 10-8, FAST, LAPD SWAT qual, 99 drill, etc... Accuracy was not effected in any way by the addition of the safety. Each of these D&L safety equipped Glocks has now fired over 2000 malfunction free rounds without any cleaning.

I am not suggesting anyone modify their Glocks; I am stating that having used a variety of pistols on military and LE duty, as well as for CCW over the past 30 years, I now strongly prefer pistols with a manual safety based on my direct experiences with both types. The D&L/Cominolli safety equipped Glocks are an option that appear to work well. Other individuals will have disparate experiences and will make different choices.

CANDERSEN
06-15-13, 20:08
I am a long time 1911 shooter and my muscle memory is such that under stress and immediately before engaging I am looking to push down the safety - since I carry both a 1911 and a Glock 19; depending on the assignment, I have found the addition of the Cominolli Safety on my Glock as being very beneficial.

I found this out the hard way several years go when involved in a shooting and found my self "searching" for the non existent safety on the Glock I was carrying that day. The lack of a safety actually caused a split second delay in getting my first round off.

I believe that "gross familiarity" is extremely important with your weapon systems and that they should all operate in a similar manner - its also nice that the safety on a AR15/M4 works in the same direction as the 1911 and Cominolli safety.

Under high stress your body is going to do what ever you programmed it to do (via all of those thousands of repetitions).

The Cominolli has worked well for me and this enhancement by D&L Sports certainly has merit.

How much is Dave charging for the part?

DocGKR
06-15-13, 20:41
I believe it was around $250 for the parts and full install.

Gewehr3
06-16-13, 00:46
It's good to see that someone thought to improve the ergonomics of the Cominolli safety. I'm surprised they the Cominolli wouldn't release an improved version themselves.

sr71plane
07-21-15, 20:25
Just had a Cominolli safety installed on my old Glock Gen 2 model 23. It amazes me how the OP specifically asked for nothing more then a review of the safety even asking all the non external safety Glock fans to stay out of it, and all the Glock Fan Boys have to still give their two cents on why it is not needed. Anyway, I think it is awesome. I had mine installed by a Glock Armorer, because I did not trust myself to make a professional looking cut in the frame. It looks like it came installed from the factory, and works perfect. Positive click up and down and the slide can be racked back and forth with the safety on when trigger is in the foremost position. I highly recommend them. Comoinolli safeties are under development right now for the new Glock 42 and 43's.

ritepath
07-21-15, 21:21
It amazes me how the OP specifically asked for nothing more then a review of the safety even asking all the non external safety Glock fans to stay out of it, and all the Glock Fan Boys have to still give their two cents on why it is not needed.

Nothing should surprise you about glockers...most believe there's only one brand of handgun and if you're dumb enough to buy anything else you're not a real gun owner. Then comes along someone wanting to add a safety feature and it's like punching baby Jesus in the face to them.