PDA

View Full Version : Nicked barrel threads: Send off to a pro or use a barrel rethreader?

Meplat
01-19-11, 21:41
Alright, so I have a stainless steel BCM barrel, and while taking the A2 off and trying to install another muzzle device, it took a little tumble and fell off my bench onto the floor.
I picked it up to find that the threads had been nicked and damaged a little, and as a result it won't thread properly now.
The threading isn't totally ruined, but at the end of the barrel it looks to be in pretty bad shape.
I'm wondering if I should have it sent off to be fixed, or can I do it myself with a rethreading tool?

Hmac
01-19-11, 21:51
I'd send it off to a barrel pro so the crown could be examined, re-crowned if necessary.

Eric D.
01-19-11, 22:31
If the crown isn't damaged I'd just get a 1/2-28 die and chase the threads.

Marty916
01-20-11, 14:16
The first few starter threads are the most critical for proper die alignment. It's very easy to cross-thread with a die and really screw things up. I would highly suggest taking it to a gunsmith or trusted machine shop for repair.

MitchK
01-20-11, 17:55
If it were me...I would get a little triangle needle file and straighten out the problem. It will probably never be as good as new, but will good enough to thread on a flash hider.

Bimmer
01-21-11, 16:46
... it took a little tumble and fell off my bench onto the floor.

People laugh because I put a big piece of old carpet in my garage in front of my workbench, but it's really great to have it there at moments like this...

mpom
01-21-11, 18:54
Check in the yellow pages for a tool and die maker, or call around and ask for a precision oriented machine shop. Better to spend a few bucks and save the barrel ...

Mark

madcratebuilder
01-22-11, 10:46
If you have zero experience using a die or thread file, sent it out. Thread repair is not rocket surgery.

MarkG
01-22-11, 11:00
The first few starter threads are the most critical for proper die alignment. It's very easy to cross-thread with a die and really screw things up. I would highly suggest taking it to a gunsmith or trusted machine shop for repair.

Great advice...

Your best teacher is your last mistake.

01-22-11, 12:12
ADCO.

40Arpent
01-23-11, 07:11
People laugh because I put a big piece of old carpet in my garage in front of my workbench, but it's really great to have it there at moments like this...

As simple and obvious as this preventative measure sounds, I've never thought to so it. Thanks for the great tip!

Robb Jensen
01-23-11, 08:13
I'd suggest Drew at W.A.R. Rifles or ADCO. This is an easy fix for these guys.

Facepuncher
01-23-11, 11:37
If it were me...I would get a little triangle needle file and straighten out the problem. It will probably never be as good as new, but will good enough to thread on a flash hider.

This is the right answer. You can get a thread file at your local auto parts store and straighten the threads out yourself very easily.

HeavyDuty
01-23-11, 11:42
Not that this will help here, but I always keep a few 1/2" plastic thread protectors around. If a muzzle device comes off even for a few minutes one goes on to protect the threads. It's a habit my tool and die maker father beat into me to always protect threaded studs!

markm
01-23-11, 12:14
Cut off all the threads so you'll be ready for the next BAN of muzzle devices!!!