PDA

View Full Version : Buying surplus mags.

SoDak
01-19-11, 21:49
I found where I could pick up surplus M16 mags for about $5 a piece. Would it be worthwhile picking some up for that price or would I be better served sticking with new mags?

R.P.
01-19-11, 22:33
I found where I could pick up surplus M16 mags for about $5 a piece. Would it be worthwhile picking some up for that price or would I be better served sticking with new mags?

If the feed lips are not spread out, and the mag spring tension is good, I would say yes.
I bought one last month for $5. I was skeptical so thats why I only bought one. Mine works fine so far. I wish I would have bought several more for that cheap of a price. Mine will strictly be for range use only. If and when it ever does puke, I will probably mark it with red tape and use as a training mag for clearing malfunctions.

ucrt
01-19-11, 22:56

$5 sounds high to me. I bought 40 surplus last year for $100. Add a new spring $1.00, Magpul Follower $2, now you're at $7.00. Maybe...a big maybe for $4 if you could disassemble and hand pick them. Don't go by what is on the floorplate. Surplus mags get their floorplates all crossed up. Use the Cage # to ID them.

You can buy brand new D&H mags for $8 and $10 for one with a Magpul Follower.

Not enough discount to me versus a new one. :no:

But maybe it's just me...

Iraqgunz
01-19-11, 23:00
You need to inspect them very closely. Look for damaged feedleeps and dents and dings to the bodies. Check the spines and make sure everything looks and feels good.

If you can't inspect them first, then I would say buy them and use them for training only or hope that you get some good ones.

glock281
01-20-11, 06:57
I personally would go with MagPuls for $10.21 or D&H for $6.56 each (that is what I have been paying for the last couple of years)

Sry0fcr
01-20-11, 10:15
I personally would go with MagPuls for $10.21 or D&H for $6.56 each (that is what I have been paying for the last couple of years)

+1. I see no need to buy beat to shit mags when quality alternatives are so cheap. Unless you're stockpiling for 2012. :p

ST911
01-20-11, 10:15
I would buy new, and not bother. The investment in time and ammo to verify reliability eliminates any cost savings on the front end.

Those surplus mags, if manufactured before critical dates, may be of value to folks in ban states. Give them a lead and let them grab them.

TXBSAFH
01-20-11, 19:07
I like to buy new, magpul pmags.

cbr
01-20-11, 19:13
I would rather buy new ones for a few bucks more. By the way, where are you guys finding magpuls for $10.21?:confused:

EzGoingKev
01-20-11, 19:15
+1. I see no need to buy beat to shit mags when quality alternatives are so cheap. Unless you're stockpiling for 2012. :p
Or you live in a ban state like me.

T-TAC
01-21-11, 02:46
Buy 20 Fusil's at $8.99 for brand new top shelf.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar230stisoma.html

500grains
01-21-11, 09:47
You will shoot more than $15 in ammo testing out a $5 mag for reliability, so just buy a new $15 mag from magpul and be worry-free.

Or buy NEW C products 20 rd mags with the magpul self leveling follower for 7 bucks.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=14&name=AR15+type+Rifle+Magazines

SoDak
01-21-11, 10:14
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just stick to buying new mags for the time being. Besides I see the store I was looking to buy some from is sold out anyway.

You will shoot more than $15 in ammo testing out a $5 mag for reliability, so just buy a new $15 mag from magpul and be worry-free.

Or buy NEW C products 20 rd mags with the magpul self leveling follower for 7 bucks.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=14&name=AR15+type+Rifle+Magazines

I thought C-products mags were still questionable in quality.

ucrt
01-21-11, 13:57

==============================

Magpul Followers are not compatible with USGI 20-round mags. The Followers that C-Products use are not Magpul, they are C-Product's design. (Magpul copy?). C-Product magazines are not mil-spec. I've only had 4 C-Product mags and of those 4, one would not fit in my magwell and one would double feed at least twice every 20-rounds.

But maybe it's just me....

dravz
01-21-11, 14:37

That's a really good point

500grains
01-21-11, 14:48
I thought C-products mags were still questionable in quality.

Not as good as magpul, but a step up from the typical used milsurp mags that I have seen. I have had good luck with them, but as you can tell from the post above, that does not mean everyone has.