PDA

View Full Version : HK P30"S" Anyone shoot one yet?

nickdrak
01-20-11, 02:54
After seeing Ken Lunde's pics of the recently released HK P30S: (Frame mounted, non-decocking, ambi manual thumb safety with rear mounted de-cocking push-button), It has my interest piqued.

Basically it can be carried "Cocked & Locked" without the likely hood of de-cocking it during your presentation via inadvertently pushing the safety/de-cock lever all the way down. It instead has the rear mounted de-cocking button mounted on the rear face of the frame next to the hammer. I think it is the "V3" version?

Pic:
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5480/2011shotshow01182011391.jpg

Im interested in anyone who has experience with this specific trigger configurations impressions.

I dont want to hear about guys who carry the standard da/sa P30 cocked & locked who say they havent had any issue de-cocking the hammer when switching off the safety. I have tried on a co-workers P30 and it is pretty easy for me to push the safety lever all the way down and de-cock it while riding the safety during shooting.

I want to know how the single action trigger is on this new P30S. Thanks in advance.

variablebinary
01-20-11, 03:23
I want to know how the single action trigger is on this new P30S. Thanks in advance.

Same here. The standard DA/SA P30 trigger is damn horrible with one of the worst resets I've felt in recent memory.

Worse than old school P-Series SIG's.

FN has a nicer reset and single action pull in their FNP/X line. HK could learn something

P30 still has the nicest grip in the business

F-Trooper05
01-20-11, 03:59
I have a V3 and a V1. I plan on selling my V3 soon to pay for an MR556 if that's any indication of which one I prefer.

I hear people complain a lot about the DA pull on the V3, but it's actually not bad at all in my opinion. The SA pull, however, is nothing to write home about. There's a lot of pre-travel before the break, and the reset is long as balls. The light LEM (V1) for some reason feels like the reset isn't as long, but that might just be my imagination.

In any event, if you're looking for something to simulate a 1911, than I think going cocked and locked on a V3 will leave you very disappointed. The light, consistent trigger of the V1 is outstanding and is the one I recommend to people. Your milage may vary.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/DSCN0104.jpg

nickdrak
01-20-11, 04:37
In any event, if you're looking for something to simulate a 1911, than I think going cocked and locked on a V3 will leave you very disappointed. The light, consistent trigger of the V1 is outstanding and is the one I recommend to people. Your milage may vary.

Thats exactly how I was considering carrying a V3 if I got my hands on one. Your input is greatly appreciated and may likely save me from spending a whole bunch of money on a new pistol platform that isn't what I expected it to be. Thanks.

Army Chief
01-20-11, 05:39
I'm still less than clear on the preferred variant here, and I suppose that is the primary reason I haven't invested in a P30 series pistol. Where is one likely to find a competent breakdown on "the real deal" with respect to what you stand to gain or lose by going with a particular version or combination of parts from various configurations?

AC

montrala
01-20-11, 07:18
I dont want to hear about guys who carry the standard da/sa P30 cocked & locked who say they havent had any issue de-cocking the hammer when switching off the safety. I have tried on a co-workers P30 and it is pretty easy for me to push the safety lever all the way down and de-cock it while riding the safety during shooting.

Sorry, but this is not possible. Standard P30 does not have thumb safety so you can not do, what you described. This can be done (accidental de-cocking) on some versions of USP/USPc triggers, but never in P30. Also standard P30 in SA/DA (V3) can not be carried c&l. It only can be de-cocked by push button on rear of frame.

P30S is only P30 version with safety. And no, you can not de-cock P30S by riding safety, de-cocking is done by intentionally pushing button on back of frame. Also note that only version of P30S that is SA/DA is P30S V3

BTW Triggers on P30S are basically same (pull weight and feel) than on P30 only... P30S has slightly longer reset than P30. Given that P30 is not of shortest reset guns (quite contrary) it's not big issue, but worth mentioning.

01-20-11, 09:17
I would be very interested in a P-30S with the long barrel since I like my standard DA/SA de-cocker version very much. I very much doubt the reset will be significantly better, but I have adapted to it quite well. Keep in mind I like my old Beretta 92 also. Very, very interested, I would use it in competition in the SA mode.

YVK
01-20-11, 09:35
Definitely try to handle one - even if you can't shoot it - before buying. I've handled it a bit, and I wasn't sure if safety is conducive to a thumb placement. I kind of figured out how I would've tried to run it had I bought it, but it wasn't exactly the same was I'd run a 1911.

Magsz
01-20-11, 09:49
So...let me get this straight.

The P30S has a DIFFERENT trigger feel than a normal V3 p30?

Why the decision to go that route?

Also, does anyone know if the P30S will be available in LEM flavor, specifically V1 in 9mm?

If not, could one theoretically convert the P30S to LEM with the addition of factory parts? Ive heard that you can conver the standard V3 P30 to LEM but there will be a hole by the hammer where the decocker used to sit.

Im very interested in working a P30 this year but i would very much prefer an LEM variant with a thumb safety as i carry AIWB and the second level of security makes me feel a heck of a lot safer (my manhood thanks me as well).

Hopefully someone has answers to this question as i was unable to turn anything up on HKPro.com

montrala
01-20-11, 10:09
So...let me get this straight.

The P30S has a DIFFERENT trigger feel than a normal V3 p30?

No. Feel is same. Reset is technically longer, but you will notice it only if you will look for it and have P30 V3 and P30S V3 side to side to compare.

Why the decision to go that route?

HK needed to change geometry of firing pin safety lever slightly to let it work with safety.

Also, does anyone know if the P30S will be available in LEM flavor, specifically V1 in 9mm?

Technically yes. This is one of versions available from factory. However I doubt that HK USA will order another shipment of P30S with LEM (first batch that came to USA was made by mistake)

If not, could one theoretically convert the P30S to LEM with the addition of factory parts? Ive heard that you can conver the standard V3 P30 to LEM but there will be a hole by the hammer where the decocker used to sit.

You can, using same parts as for P30 - LEM hammer, LEM cocking piece, LEM hammer tension spring. If you will not replace sear for LEM sear, then de-cocking button will remain in place (like in V0 LEM). If you will replace it, small 1.5x10mm slot will be visible left to the hammer. This slot do not affect function, neither it allows more lint to come inside that it already can around hammer (I carry CCW with this slot open, I know first hand).

Im very interested in working a P30 this year but i would very much prefer an LEM variant with a thumb safety as i carry AIWB and the second level of security makes me feel a heck of a lot safer (my manhood thanks me as well).

I carry AIWB as well, with LEM. No additional safety, I just keep finger off the trigger and thumb over (it moves naturally ther to clear body) hammer during reholstering. Works good for my manhood and I do not rely on safety that I can forget to use.

Hopefully someone has answers to this question as i was unable to turn anything up on HKPro.com

Probably you were not asking right question or be patient enough for how search works on HKPro (I do not like search function there as well).

Kchen986
01-20-11, 10:12
IIRC Gtmtnbiker mentioned that future versions of the P30 will primarily become P30Ss

RE: What's Available

As of right now, AFAIK, the P30S's exist in

P30S V3 9mm & .40 S&W
P30LS LEM--limited run from a 'screw-up.'

I have a P30S 9mm V3 waiting for me at my gun shop. I'll post a range report as well as a comparison to my G19 in the coming weeks.

01-20-11, 10:15
Looking at the pics. One of things I like about my P-30 is the clean surface at the rear of the pistol, they put the decocker on the back. This allows me to get a very high grip, might the safety lever interfere with the thumb knuckle? I'll have to handle one first.

Magsz
01-20-11, 10:16
Montrala,

Thank you for the response, it is appreciated.

The search function over there just wasnt yielding the results, after a couple hours sifting through the posts that were coming up i gave up. :)

You answered my question very well so again, thank you!

Two more questions if you dont mind.

1. The P30S LEM's that were brought into the country were the L versions correct?

2. As it currently stands are there any P30S's in the states in 9mm or is this something that is coming in 2011? I have only personally handled a .40 in the S flavor.

Kchen986
01-20-11, 10:37
2. As it currently stands are there any P30S's in the states in 9mm or is this something that is coming in 2011? I have only personally handled a .40 in the S flavor.

The P30S 9mm V3s are of limited supply right now. Nelson Tactical gets one in stock every couple of weeks. But, a good amount of digging is necessary to find one. If I remember correctly, I remember seeing them popping up in November 2010.

Magsz
01-20-11, 10:53
Thank you!

Im going to go and see if i can handle some .40's with the safety this weekend to see if i dig it.

Otherwise its a standard LEM variant for me.

Thanks for answering these questions guys.

nickdrak
01-20-11, 11:07
Yeah, I saw that Nelson Tactical has a P30S V3 on GunBroker. Hmmmmmmmmm

SkyLine1
01-20-11, 11:32
I just bought a P30LS off of the EE and should be here this weekend, I may not be on par with the top tier on this site but will give my impressions of it after a range day. I do plan on it being a ccw. Thanks for the extra info in this thread, it has been very informative.

nickdrak
01-20-11, 11:39
Now after more research I come to find that Safariland doesn't even make a duty holster for the P30:( Nevermind a 6300 ALS holster to fit one with an X300 attached:no:

I will have to wait until Safariland starts making their ALS holsters for the P30 platform before I take the $900 plunge.

Oh well, Maybe next year....

F-Trooper05
01-20-11, 11:51
Now after more research I come to find that Safariland doesn't even make a duty holster for the P30:( Nevermind a 6300 ALS holster to fit one with an X300 attached:no:

I will have to wait until Safariland starts making their ALS holsters for the P30 platform before I take the $900 plunge.

Are you sure? I have a 6377 for mine.

nickdrak
01-20-11, 11:59
Are you sure? I have a 6377 for mine.

Who frikken' knows:confused: I just checked the safariland "will fit" chart and they didn't show anything for the P30 with a Surefire X300 mounted.

Vlobb
01-20-11, 13:19

The P30 does NOT decock via the saftey lever so I'm confused as to how you pulled that off. The DA/SA P30 pistols have the decocking lever mounted on the rear of the frame completely seperate form the saftey.

Are you sure about this? (underlined statement)

LOKNLOD
01-20-11, 13:49
Who frikken' knows:confused: I just checked the safariland "will fit" chart and they didn't show anything for the P30 with a Surefire X300 mounted.

I have an ALS for my P30 with no light for my firstline belt setup, but as of last check they don't make a SF holster for any P30's with lights. I do believe they make one for a P30L with an oddball light, probably a result of some contract in Europe or something.

GJM
01-20-11, 19:28
If you go to the "buy holsters" section of the Rogers Shooting School, and search Safariland for P30, they show a number of Safariland ALS holsters:

http://www.holsterops.com/

Also, I think you will find that a P30 and a Surefire fits into the same holster as an HK 45 with a Surefire -- as it does with my Raven Concealment HK45/Surefire and P2000/Surefire holsters. I know that Safariland makes holsters for the HK 45 and Surefire, as I have a 6004 on order.

kaltblitz
01-20-11, 20:06
Safariland does NOT make a holster that fits the P30 with a light attached. I've been trying to get them to make one for the last few months and had a meeting with Tom Campbell at SHOT about it. They need an order of at least 300 units to justify the cost of tooling (it costs around $30,000 to tool up for a single holster mold).

Safariland DOES make the a 6280 for the P30 LEM with NO light.

They also make a 6280 for the P30L with an M3X attached. These holsters were ordered as part of the Norwegian police contract.

I've heard rumors that you can use a P30 with X300 in a 6280 designed for Sig 226R with X200. I have not tried it myself.

I actually spent some time yesterday talking to Aker about making a duty holster for the P30 with X300 and it sounds hopeful. The sole security feature would be a thumbreak, but at this point it's a start.

nickdrak
01-20-11, 21:33
I was never a fan of the rotating hood on the 6280, etc. I am a hardcore 6300 ALS series devotee. I carry a 6377 for my current work assignment, or a 6360 on patrol. I am also not willing to give up my mounted X300. I will simply wait until they decide to make the holster I need for the pistol before I make the purchase. Thanks for all of the intel.

I was indeed mistaken. When I was talking about pushing the combo safety/de-cocker all the way down I was shooting a USP45 and a HK45 which I believe both of them had that configuration. There was also a standard V3 P30 in the mix during that range session which must have threw me off:o

S-1
01-20-11, 21:42
I am a hardcore 6300 ALS series devotee.

Same here. I was thinking about getting an HK45c, but Safariland does not make an ALS holster for it, so it's a no-go for me. I called them and asked if they had any plans to make one and they said "not in the immediate future."

GJM
01-20-11, 21:53
A P30 LS with an X300 definitely goes into the HK 45/X300 holster. Of course, this could be an omen to get an HK 45 with the medium LEM trigger, mount your X300 and carry on!

wesprt
01-20-11, 22:17
This may be enough to push me into a P30 eventually :eek: I just recently went back to a 1911 from a Glock because I prefer a thumb safety of some kind, especially one you can hit during the draw and ride while shooting.

Entropy
01-20-11, 22:29

Safariland website isn't always up to date with their latest holsters. Here's the 6360 series available for the P30 in LEM.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6360-selection.html

Optics Planet has always shown special order holsters, or holsters not listed on the Safariland website that can be ordered. If the 6360 isn't the model that you want, just do a search.

S-1
01-20-11, 22:36
Safariland website isn't always up to date with their latest holsters. Here's the 6360 series available for the P30 in LEM.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6360-selection.html

Optics Planet has always shown special order holsters, or holsters not listed on the Safariland website that can be ordered. If the 6360 isn't the model that you want, just do a search.

Optics Planet isn't showing a 6360 available for the P30 w/X300. NickDrak wants one that will accept the X300.

Entropy
01-20-11, 22:46
Disregard

nickdrak
01-20-11, 22:50
Safariland does NOT make a holster that fits the P30 with a light attached. I've been trying to get them to make one for the last few months and had a meeting with Tom Campbell at SHOT about it. They need an order of at least 300 units to justify the cost of tooling (it costs around $30,000 to tool up for a single holster mold).

Safariland DOES make the a 6280 for the P30 LEM with NO light.

They already have the 6360/6377 ALS holster available
for the P30 "DAO" listed on their "Will Fit" chart. How difficult could it be to add a portion to the holster to fit the most commonly used pistol lights on the market (Surefire X300, TLR1,etc.) today?

Shit, I would be willing to buy a 6360 and a 6377 ALS for the P30S V3 which I assume would fit most or all of the other variants of the P30. I would also bet we could get atleast 300 on a list if that's what they need to make it happen, but if they alreadt have the ALS mold, why the hell can't they make it happen?

nickdrak
01-20-11, 22:53
The OP stated that Safariland didn't make a 6300 series holster for the P30. Clearly, they do, and with this revelation in mind perhaps a P30 and Safariland holster combo without a X300 would interest him.

Nope. The ability to mount the Sure X300 is an absolute necessity for me.

kaltblitz
01-20-11, 23:33
They already have the 6360/6377 ALS holster available
for the P30 "DAO" listed on their "Will Fit" chart. How difficult could it be to add a portion to the holster to fit the most commonly used pistol lights on the market (Surefire X300, TLR1,etc.) today?

Shit, I would be willing to buy a 6360 and a 6377 ALS for the P30S V3 which I assume would fit most or all of the other variants of the P30. I would also bet we could get atleast 300 on a list if that's what they need to make it happen, but if they alreadt have the ALS mold, why the hell can't they make it happen?

It's not hard, but it wouldn't be profitable right now.

There are not many agencies that issue the P30 right now so there is not the demand. If 300 people all called Safariland as individuals and asked about a P30/light combo holster it won't make them tool up. They need an actual order.

Safariland's stuff requires a new mold to be made for each gun/light combo and the mold and tooling costs $30k. It's not whether or not they have dummy guns or real guns to use. They aren't gonna fork out thirty grand to make a holster for one or ten guys. To break even they need to be able to sell 300 units.

If you are able to find 300 people (me included) that want to buy a P30 with X300 then we could be good to go. Until there is a list with credit card or PO #'s attached it ain't gonna happen.

Quick Stick
07-07-11, 04:36
Does anyone have an update if Safariland has come out with a ALS with a X300 for the P30? Or even a 6004?

maximus83
07-07-11, 10:18
I'm still less than clear on the preferred variant here, and I suppose that is the primary reason I haven't invested in a P30 series pistol.
AC

Same here. I find that when I want a really accurate pistol with a great trigger, I still go to my 1911's. And when I want a lightweight hi-cap carry gun in a modern platform, my M&P 9's with the DCAEK kit actually have a trigger that I prefer to the P30's I've tried (after renting and test firing the P30 side-by-side against my M&P's).

nickdrak
07-07-11, 11:08
Does anyone have an update if Safariland has come out with a ALS with a X300 for the P30? Or even a 6004?

I've given up on the idea of investing in the P30 platform for this exact reason. I doubt anything has changed with safariland's HK holsters, but a quick search of their "will fit" chart will answer your question.

TomF
07-07-11, 16:04
Just an FYI if you guys need light compatible (or non) concealment holsters for the P30S. We can do them without issue, just let us know in the comments box that you have the P30S.

Take care,

Tom

Kchen986
07-07-11, 16:12
Just an FYI if you guys need light compatible (or non) concealment holsters for the P30S. We can do them without issue, just let us know in the comments box that you have the P30S.

Take care,

Tom

I have one of RCS's P30S holsters. It's superb. Conceals very well and holds my weapon very securely, even without a gunbelt.

nickdrak
07-07-11, 18:47
I have one of RCS's P30S holsters. It's superb. Conceals very well and holds my weapon very securely, even without a gunbelt.

No doubt. The RCS stuff is outstanding. I believe what the poster I was responding to was asking about is a retention holster with an x300 mounted for duty carry.

doughnut
07-12-11, 15:50
I can tell you from personal experience that a Safariland 6360 for the Sig 229R w/WML will work with a P30 w/WML. The Safariland model is 6360-7442. I've used this set up with both a P30v3 and P30v2 with a S/F x200/x300 and a TLR-1. It works great and locks up as well as the Sig does in the same holster. The hood comes close to the hammer on the v3 but it doesn't touch. I can't say if the P30S model will work or not as I have no experience with that set up. If the safety lever on the P30'S' is the same lever on my P30LSv1 I think it would work due to the lever being so thin. The only draw back might be the safety lever being located in the path of the ALS lever while the gun is holstered. Let me know if you want some pics and I'll try to post some up.