PDA

View Full Version : Single mag pouches/shingles - options?

LOKNLOD
08-08-06, 08:07
Whats on the market right now for single M4 mag carriers? It looks like a lot of the "single" mag carriers actually hold two mags, but I just want one. I've seen the TT shingles and all different variations on that theme. Is there anything else out there? Ideally I'd like something with a flap (kydex or internal retention wouldn't hurt either).

I could swear I've seen an Eagle pouch with a kydex insert and a flap with velcro on top that pulls down to open, but I can't find it again. Am I imagining things?

Thanks.

Submariner
08-08-06, 09:21
http://triadtactical.com/tab1/store/category/a01f/Rifle_Mag_Pouches.html

Eagle MLCS Single M4 FB: Multicam

This pouch has a Kydex liner and will hold a single M4/M16 style magazine. Aftermarket magazines or magazines that have been altered, might prevent the flap from securing over

dubb-1
08-08-06, 10:20
Yep, Eagle. Also, Eggroll (Darrin) will make anything you want. The quality and service is certainly worthy of our hard earned dollars.

Hoplophile
08-08-06, 15:30
http://triadtactical.com/tab1/store/category/a01f/Rifle_Mag_Pouches.html

Eagle MLCS Single M4 FB: Multicam

This pouch has a Kydex liner and will hold a single M4/M16 style magazine. Aftermarket magazines or magazines that have been altered, might prevent the flap from securing over
I've been using the belt mount version of this pouch for a few years and I think it's great.

The MOLLE version was released in the past month or two and it's good too, but I find that I don't like the design as much when used on a chest rig/vest. The bulk of the Kydex 'box' makes hard to fit them side by side unless the surface carrier is curved. They're fine on the side of a belt that is wrapping around you but mounting them on the front of a plate carrier or chest rig may be tight. ETA: I have three of these in OD green that I'll be listing for sale soon.

I've used the TT single mag pouches and really like them.

I recently tried the Esstac shingles because I wanted something like the TT pouches but mounted two of them side by side. I liked some things about them better but didn't care for some things as much. I started playing around with making kydex inserts for them and I'm really happy with the results so far. The mags 'snap' in when inserted then don't come out until you pull on them and they slide right out. Still tweaking a few things but so far so good.

Mounted on the front of my MAV:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/EsstacKydex/EsstacKydexA5.jpg

Attached to a belt for a lightweight setup:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/EsstacKydex/EsstacKydexA6.jpg
The larger shingles don't work as well on a belt because they don't have as much flex. I just ordered some Esstac singles from SKD so I'll have a light belt rig for times when the heavier chest rig is too much.

Diz
08-08-06, 17:53
I think the Eagle M-4 Single FB's are about the best pouches widely available. After experimenting with many formats, I have found that open-top, single mag pouches, with kydex inserts, are the best pure gunfighting support gear.

KevinB
08-08-06, 19:38
I think the Eagle M-4 Single FB's are about the best pouches widely available. After experimenting with many formats, I have found that open-top, single mag pouches, with kydex inserts, are the best pure gunfighting support gear.

+1...

Submariner
08-08-06, 20:29
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/DasBoot56/EagleMP2-M4-4-45-FB1-MS-KH.jpg

We used these successfully at Pat's second Boone County class last month. Each pouch is kydex lined. It works well at about 10 o'clock on the body; too thick to mount in front and "comfortably" go prone. One piece construction so there is no side-by-side stacking issue. Each pouch also has a flap.

Snake RAH
08-08-06, 22:44
I like the Eagle FBs for both pistol and rifle, however, only wear one on the belt or vest. Even though there is kydex retention, I'm not a fan of running a bunch of exposed magazines. One, to me, is enough for that "oh crap" reload, while everything else will come from the flapped pouches.

A nice flapped pouch is the DBT tiered pouch, which holds 2.

Triad Tactical
08-13-06, 16:36
Submariner,

Nice photo, some of my best work! As far as I know, Triad is still the only place to get that pouch.

Submariner
08-13-06, 21:29
Submariner,

Nice photo, some of my best work! As far as I know, Triad is still the only place to get that pouch.

I bought 3 from you. Great service and no copyright on the pic so I posted it.;)

When are you going to have one for Grocks?

Hoplophile
08-13-06, 23:09
I bought 3 from you. Great service and no copyright on the pic so I posted it.;)

When are you going to have one for Grocks?

I doubt they'll the 2x4 for Glock mags, it'd be huge.

Eagle does make standalone double mag pouches for the Glock, I have a couple for my G21.

Submariner
08-14-06, 11:59
I doubt they'll the 2x4 for Glock mags, it'd be huge.

Eagle does make standalone double mag pouches for the Glock, I have a couple for my G21.

They are making a 1 X 2 for Grock 17's so why not? http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=29538&an=0&page=1#29538

Harv
08-20-06, 13:15
I'll throw my $3.02 in and say the Eagle FB style Single mag Pouch for the M4 Mags is the best one out there. I chased after that bad boy for like a year and finally snagged 2. You would be hard pressed to find one better.

For Pistol I went a different route and I'll tell ya why. I only shoot 2 pistols . A hight cap double stacK 1911 and a G17 Glock.

So I went with the Tactical Tailor 2 mag and 3 mag Pistol pouch with Kydex insert. It fits both mags with no problems so I can use them for both Pistols. I have yet to finnd any other Pistol Mag pouch that will let me use both types of mags. The only draw back is the Malice clips, which I have never been a big fan of. I like the Natick Style which is built into the pouch. But I'm starting to get over that hang up and they work fine. Here they are on my 1st line belt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_0948.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-28-06, 11:16
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/DasBoot56/EagleMP2-M4-4-45-FB1-MS-KH.jpg

We used these successfully at Pat's second Boone County class last month. Each pouch is kydex lined. It works well at about 10 o'clock on the body; too thick to mount in front and "comfortably" go prone. One piece construction so there is no side-by-side stacking issue. Each pouch also has a flap.

I still to buy a 2x4.

I wonder if the Glock version is ever coming out?

SuicideHz
09-12-06, 23:20
I've been using the belt mount version of this pouch for a few years and I think it's great.

The MOLLE version was released in the past month or two and it's good too, but I find that I don't like the design as much when used on a chest rig/vest. The bulk of the Kydex 'box' makes hard to fit them side by side unless the surface carrier is curved. They're fine on the side of a belt that is wrapping around you but mounting them on the front of a plate carrier or chest rig may be tight. ETA: I have three of these in OD green that I'll be listing for sale soon.

I've used the TT single mag pouches and really like them.

I recently tried the Esstac shingles because I wanted something like the TT pouches but mounted two of them side by side. I liked some things about them better but didn't care for some things as much. I started playing around with making kydex inserts for them and I'm really happy with the results so far. The mags 'snap' in when inserted then don't come out until you pull on them and they slide right out. Still tweaking a few things but so far so good.

Mounted on the front of my MAV:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/EsstacKydex/EsstacKydexA5.jpg

Attached to a belt for a lightweight setup:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/EsstacKydex/EsstacKydexA6.jpg
The larger shingles don't work as well on a belt because they don't have as much flex. I just ordered some Esstac singles from SKD so I'll have a light belt rig for times when the heavier chest rig is too much.

Where did you get the Kydex inserts for those mag holders? I'm looking to get similar carriers but would rather have the shorter ones with a little more bungee cord holding them in. I like the way yours look though. They look like there is just enough mag sticking out to grab onto unlike some of the other taller mag pouches. Doe the Kydex insert help keep them up out the top?

Hoplophile
09-13-06, 14:14
Where did you get the Kydex inserts for those mag holders? I'm looking to get similar carriers but would rather have the shorter ones with a little more bungee cord holding them in. I like the way yours look though. They look like there is just enough mag sticking out to grab onto unlike some of the other taller mag pouches. Doe the Kydex insert help keep them up out the top?
I am making the inserts. I had hoped to have some test samples out to some other people but I've been too tied up with my day job to get them produced.

The Esstac pouches are not designed the same as other shingles. They aren't a pouch so much as a sort of tube and the opening at the bottom is the same as at the top. There is velcro on the front and back and they come with a piece of nylon webbing that has velcro on the outside and the bungy cord is attached to the nylon strap. This makes the height of the mag in the pouches adjustable as well as allowing debris to fall out the bottom.

The inserts I'm working on fit into the pouch the same way the normal nylon piece does but it is rigid and provides retention without the bungy on top. They are also height adjustable but will work best at the standard height I'm designing them for.

I'm actually getting out of work early today so I can do some work on them. I worked out the size and shape based on the double shingles in teh pic above but I also ordered some singles and found that the internal size is much smaller so I need to tweak the design a little. I think I have it right but I need to make a new mold with the new dimensions so I can test it out.

SuicideHz
09-13-06, 14:17
I like the sounds of them!