PDA

View Full Version : Rob Haught training - a couple questions

70extreme
01-20-11, 10:02
I saw some youtube videos of his shotgun training.

1. Does he have a website?

2. What LOP stock does he recommend for the 870?

3. Have you taken his classes? Do you feel his push/pull technique works?

Thanks.

subzero
01-20-11, 10:15
1. Not to my knowledge.

2. He'll recommend the Youth or similar length stocks but will show you how to work with a longer stock if that's what you have.

3. Yes. His method works amazingly well. And once you learn it, you'll never forget it. He gives you a set of simple drills to help maintain proficiency knowing most people don't like shooting the shotgun. He effectively demonstrates the capabilities of the push-pull to mitigate recoil. He knows what the gun is good at and gives you tools to use those capabilities effectively.

Seriously, if you want to use the boomstick, there's no good reason to avoid taking a Rob Haught class. Taking it caused me to seriously rethink my stance on the shotgun, not to mention completely changed the way I handled the gun.

ChicagoTex
01-20-11, 10:36
When tactical shotguns are involved, the shortest LOP that works for you is always the winner. I'm certain Rob would agree.

Unless you're a seriously big guy, my advice would be to try a 12" "Youth/Compact" stock, that seems to work really well for most folks, although some find that they have to take special care not to place their thumb over/around the top of the stock or it bops them in the nose under recoil, YMMV.

For bigger guys, like myself, 13" seems to be more the answer, but they are trickier to find. There are 2 1/2 solid stocks I'm aware of that come in at 13" LOP for the 870.
1. Speedfeed IV-S w/ R3 (the regular Speedfeed IV-S w/out R3 is 12", Note also this is a pistol-grip stock)
2. Remington Synthetic stock w/ R3
(Both of these are available from AIP Tactical, my recommended resource for all Remington parts)
and 2 1/2. You can buy a Hogue or Speedfeed 12" LOP stock and add a slip-on Limbsaver to reach approximately 13" LOP. If you elect to do this as a permanent solution, it would be wise to use some tape to secure the slip on.

TOrrock
01-20-11, 14:20
1. Not to my knowledge.

2. He'll recommend the Youth or similar length stocks but will show you how to work with a longer stock if that's what you have.

3. Yes. His method works amazingly well. And once you learn it, you'll never forget it. He gives you a set of simple drills to help maintain proficiency knowing most people don't like shooting the shotgun. He effectively demonstrates the capabilities of the push-pull to mitigate recoil. He knows what the gun is good at and gives you tools to use those capabilities effectively.

Seriously, if you want to use the boomstick, there's no good reason to avoid taking a Rob Haught class. Taking it caused me to seriously rethink my stance on the shotgun, not to mention completely changed the way I handled the gun.

What subzero said.

If you have a shotgun, you really should take his class. I learned more from his class than many other classes, because there is such a different manual of arms for a street howitzer vs. a carbine.

Have you read through some of the AAR's that have been posted here?

Dos Cylindros
01-20-11, 14:33
Where does one go to find out about class schedules and sign up for a class? I have always wanted to take one of his classes.

chris914
01-20-11, 19:17
Look no further than the Grey Group thread in the training section. He is coming to Virginia Beach in May.

Jager
01-21-11, 18:07
I've been through Rob's shotgun class several times, I highly recommend it.

70extreme
01-21-11, 21:22
How do you think the push/pull method would work for hunting/skeet ect..?

I have an 18" HD 870s and 28" 870s I use for hunting.

cfrazier
01-21-11, 23:52
The method will work for any type of shotgun sport or hunting. It is not just a system to be used for combat. In the Oct. class in Fuquay, Rob advised that he uses the method when shooting any type of long gun.

TN-popo
12-04-11, 07:24
The method will work for any type of shotgun sport or hunting. It is not just a system to be used for combat. In the Oct. class in Fuquay, Rob advised that he uses the method when shooting any type of long gun.

Necropost alert...

Thanks for mentioning that as I've been thinking about this lately.
I see the Push/Pull taught for shotguns...and was wondering why it's never discussed for carbines as well.
I realize the 5.56 doesn't recoil much, but I'll try any technique that increases my speed and recoil control.

More thoughts on this are welcome.
Thanks