PDA

View Full Version : And now, for something COMPLETELY different!

The_War_Wagon
01-20-11, 11:07
Since this still fall's under Jay's guidelines regarding "social" for this room, I think I'm ok here, BUT...

I am looking for a combat veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan in the Pittsburgh area, who wouldn't mind addressing a small church group (classroom setting), about how their Christian faith shaped them going into combat, & how they have grown by the experience.

This would be a one evening engagement - it's part of a larger class I'm preparing on The Christian, Self Defense, & Firearms. I'm going to have a local LEO speak on another night from that perspective as well, FYI.

Mindful & respectful of your service, this is not a poke & prod you for war stories sort of event - we're really more interested in hearing how your faith has grown through the experience. There will be sweet little church ladies in attendance, so I'm looking for a presentation you could basically do in front of your grandmother.

I would be happy to talk at length & in more detail with anyone wishing to participate in this further. I'm looking at late spring (after Easter) before conducting this class, so hopefully that's plenty of lead time. Drop me a PM or e-mail, and we can go from there.

Thank you ALL ahead of time for your service, and your consideration of this request.

Aray
01-20-11, 12:25
Great idea Rev. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Decon
01-24-11, 23:05
Since this still fall's under Jay's guidelines regarding "social" for this room, I think I'm ok here, BUT...

I am looking for a combat veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan in the Pittsburgh area, who wouldn't mind addressing a small church group (classroom setting), about how their Christian faith shaped them going into combat, & how they have grown by the experience.

This would be a one evening engagement - it's part of a larger class I'm preparing on The Christian, Self Defense, & Firearms. I'm going to have a local LEO speak on another night from that perspective as well, FYI.

Mindful & respectful of your service, this is not a poke & prod you for war stories sort of event - we're really more interested in hearing how your faith has grown through the experience. There will be sweet little church ladies in attendance, so I'm looking for a presentation you could basically do in front of your grandmother.

I would be happy to talk at length & in more detail with anyone wishing to participate in this further. I'm looking at late spring (after Easter) before conducting this class, so hopefully that's plenty of lead time. Drop me a PM or e-mail, and we can go from there.

Thank you ALL ahead of time for your service, and your consideration of this request.

You may find this book to your liking; Never Surrender by William Boykin. Good luck with your class

The_War_Wagon
01-27-11, 21:57
You may find this book to your liking; Never Surrender by William Boykin. Good luck with your class

Thanks! I'll start looking for a copy!

Decon
02-24-11, 20:01
Were you able to find that book?

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-24-11, 20:08
I actualy just did this for a few groups of Blue star mothers in the NY area. I was asked by the vets center here in western NY. I had a great time and the woman realy benifited from it alot. Asking things they did not feel they could have asked their sons or daughters, or maybe getting a diffrent perspective on the whole thing.

Jon

The_War_Wagon
04-27-11, 07:26
Were you able to find that book?

Not yet - is it of fairly recent vintage, or should I be haunting Books-a-Million to find a used copy? I would like to add that to the small militaria section of my library.

The_War_Wagon
04-27-11, 07:29
I actualy just did this for a few groups of Blue star mothers in the NY area. I was asked by the vets center here in western NY. I had a great time and the woman realy benifited from it alot. Asking things they did not feel they could have asked their sons or daughters, or maybe getting a diffrent perspective on the whole thing.

Jon

That's exactly what I'm HOPING to accomplish.

I've pushed this class back to the fall (after Labor Day), as I'm still looking for my military speaker. I also need to advertise it in a couple more places locally too. I hope to include a writeup afterward, although I'm not entirely sure where it would fit on M4C when done though! :blink:

Decon
04-27-11, 23:43
Not yet - is it of fairly recent vintage, or should I be haunting Books-a-Million to find a used copy? I would like to add that to the small militaria section of my library.

It's fairly new. I'd send you my copy but I kindled (Is that a word?) it.

Amazon.com

Good Luck