PDA

View Full Version : DD has 18" CHF 1:7 barrels for sale NOW

500grains
01-20-11, 11:49
Just checked the Daniel Defense website and came up with this:

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-inch-chf-barrels/18-5-56mm-s2w-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html

$275 + shipping

This makes me happy. In contrast with some items like the CHF 6.8 barrels which are listed but may not be available for many additional months, these CHF 18" CL barrels are available and in stock NOW.

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/8/18_s2w_stripped.jpg

Details

All Daniel Defense cold hammer forged barrels are made from start to finish in our state-of-the-art facility located in Black Creek, GA. In keeping with our heritage of not cutting corners, all cold hammer forged barrels feature a forged chamber and heavy phosphate exterior coating. They are all MP tested on-site and are available in multiple configurations which includes barrel only (stripped); barrel with Front Sight Base; barrel with Low Profile Gas Block; and barrel with Front Sight Base, gas tube, and delta Ring assembly (Complete). These barrels will prove themselves to be more accurate and last longer than a barrel that has cut or button rifling.
Warranty Statement

Our Cold Hammer Forged Barrels carry a 100% satisfactions guarantee against defects in original materials and workmanship. If your barrel shows evidence of such defects, Daniel Defense will make every accommodation to fix, repair, or replace your barrel in the most expeditious and inexpensive manner possible. Daniel Defense does not warranty products or damage caused to our products by the correct or incorrect installation of other manufacturer’s products. Be sure to retain your sales slip as proof of purchase date when making a claim.

Additional Information
SKU DD-09121
Barrel Configuration Stripped
Barrel Length 18"
Manuf. Process Cold Hammer Forged
Twist Rate 1:7
Muzzle Thread 1⁄2×28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
Material Chrome Moly Vanadium
Outside Finish Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate
Diameter At Gas Port .750″
Chrome Lined Yes
Barrel Extension A4
Profile Strength 2 Weight
Gas System Mid-length
Barrel Caliber 5.56mm NATO
Manufacturer Daniel Defense

m249saw
01-20-11, 11:54
Looks nice. Surprised they went midlength gas system and not rifle.

SomeOtherGuy
01-20-11, 13:08
Gee, that would explain why I was able to order an upper with one via Smartgunner back on 12/31/10...

I was also surprised by the midlength gas system. I was actually talking with a DD customer service person a week or so before I ordered, and was assured that the gas port size, etc. was such that it wouldn't be overgassed. I was not given any more detail or any technical info. My understanding is that three different gas lengths - mid, "intermediate," and rifle - are all considered acceptable on an 18" 5.56, with rifle seemingly the preferred for softest recoil, and intermediate providing a balance of recoil and reliability in sub-zero conditions. So I don't know how DD arrived at using midlength. If you visit the DD forum on this board, I actually posted a question for DD about that a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, it should be fun.

bp7178
01-20-11, 14:50
I traded a bunch of emails with them a while back on the S2W profile.

They have these in 16" as well, just not posted on the site yet. My take is that its a Colt SOCOM profile w/o the notch.

DD says they are heavier than the goverment, and the rep told me users report about 1.5 MOA out of them. Pretty accurate for a chrome lined 5.56 chambered barrel.

The same rep also told me user report 2-2.5 MOA out of the lightweight profile, which seems high to me.

RyanB
01-20-11, 20:04
No reason not to use a rifle port location on this.

blackbox
01-20-11, 20:23
really? they have been back ordered for months! i knew that this was going to happen especially since i just completed my build last week with a different bbl. i may have to purchase this and swap out the bbl's :rolleyes:

MitchK
01-20-11, 20:59
I traded a bunch of emails with them a while back on the S2W profile.

What's the deal with this profile??

SomeOtherGuy
01-20-11, 21:24
What's the deal with this profile??

This profile is basically a continuous taper from breech to muzzle, and as long as you view your rifle as a rifle and not a demolition prybar, it's a far smarter profile for stiffness and strength.

decodeddiesel
01-20-11, 21:27
Why the hell didn't they make this a rifle length gas system? Exactly what will this barrel get you that a 16" Middy won't?

What a waste.

SomeOtherGuy
01-20-11, 21:28
After some more thought, I'm wondering if the midlength gas port was chosen to allow a standard .750" gas block without having to change the intended taper much. I wonder if a rifle length port would have worked with the not too uncommon .625" gas block, however.

SomeOtherGuy
01-20-11, 21:30
Exactly what will this barrel get you that a 16" Middy won't?

Two more inches of acceleration which translates into roughly 50-75 fps?

As I mentioned, I already posted some questions about this barrel in the DD industry forum here. If anyone wants to contact them and ask them to login and post a reply, feel free.

bp7178
01-20-11, 22:02
I was thinking in a 18" I would rather see a rifle gas system, but DD could be playing with the gas port diameter too. You would almost need to see more specs to know one way or the other.

The goverment profile barrels always seemed weird to me, that all of the mass is at the end of the barrel.

The S2W seems just like a SOCOM profile w/o the M203 notch, which this day and age is usually getting covered up with rails, especially of civy guns.

I also think, and just my two cents here, these heavy(er) profiles are great for select-fire weapons. I don't know if they really have a place on semi-automatic guns. How much heat are you really building up?

Now according to DD, you can have better accuracy out of the S2W than their lightweight profile. The S2W just makes more sense, more meat by the chamber and running out the taper to the muzzle. Kind of the opposite of the goverment profile.

Its nice to see that DD is treading on new ground. I hope they keep the steam going. The products that I have owned have been great. If what I was told was true, 1.5 MOA from a chrome lined 5.56 chamber, that is pretty good. I don't know what ammo that was, but I would guess tuned handloads could chop that down.

Now only if they would stop over branding everything. I f'n HATE bolt carrier markings...

justin_247
01-21-11, 02:41
Why the hell didn't they make this a rifle length gas system? Exactly what will this barrel get you that a 16" Middy won't?

What a waste.

I completely agree!

[
]Now only if they would stop over branding everything. I f'n HATE bolt carrier markings...

This is something you basically have to do anymore if you're going to warranty anything. The problem is that people buy a BCG on Ebay or in some shady gun store that is claimed to be manufactured by a certain company, but when it breaks they call that company and send it back, only for that company to discover that it wasn't manufactured by them. Then they have to argue with the customer, who gets pissy and posts it on ARFCOM for all the brand-haters to brag about. I don't see anything wrong with it.

bp7178
01-21-11, 02:56
Justin, thats a very good point. I never considered that.

I still find myself wishing they came up with something more low key, or even logo it on the other side.

eternal24k
01-21-11, 08:41
I love the profile, but completely agree with you guys on the gas system, here is hoping for a version 2

500grains
01-21-11, 09:39
Now only if they would stop over branding everything. I f'n HATE bolt carrier markings...

If BCM would stop putting that huge logo on their BCG, I would have bought a couple already. Earlier DD BCG had no markings. They could mark them on the other side where it is not so prominent.

Robb Jensen
01-21-11, 10:07
If BCM would stop putting that huge logo on their BCG, I would have bought a couple already. Earlier DD BCG had no markings. They could mark them on the other side where it is not so prominent.

If you buy a BCM bolt carrier separate from a BCM bolt the carrier won't be engraved.

Joe at Daniel Defense (at SHOW) said that their making 10.3, 11.5, 12.5 and 16" barrels in 5.56mm, I like the new FSB Mk18 rail they have on display.

decodeddiesel
01-21-11, 10:26
I love the profile, but completely agree with you guys on the gas system, here is hoping for a version 2

If they released this barrel with a rifle length gas system I would order one and a rifle length URX tomorrow.

Wishful thinking I know...

clay7160
01-22-11, 17:35
Gee, that would explain why I was able to order an upper with one via Smartgunner back on 12/31/10...

I was also surprised by the midlength gas system. I was actually talking with a DD customer service person a week or so before I ordered, and was assured that the gas port size, etc. was such that it wouldn't be overgassed. I was not given any more detail or any technical info. My understanding is that three different gas lengths - mid, "intermediate," and rifle - are all considered acceptable on an 18" 5.56, with rifle seemingly the preferred for softest recoil, and intermediate providing a balance of recoil and reliability in sub-zero conditions. So I don't know how DD arrived at using midlength. If you visit the DD forum on this board, I actually posted a question for DD about that a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, it should be fun.

Mine has been on order since 12/21/2010, when i initially saw them on Daniel Defense's website, i asked Tommy to add them to his order list if possible and when got word the it was possible, i ordered. Can't wait.

Rypht
04-22-11, 19:01
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was curious if anyone that had plans on getting one of these barrels had gotten any kind of explanation from DD why they went with a mid legth gas system in an 18" barrel?

SomeOtherGuy
04-22-11, 20:05
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was curious if anyone that had plans on getting one of these barrels had gotten any kind of explanation from DD why they went with a mid legth gas system in an 18" barrel?

I have one of these, I've chatted with a DD rep, and I never got any explanation. I'm guessing two reasons:
1) My original guess "I'm wondering if the midlength gas port was chosen to allow a standard .750" gas block without having to change the intended taper much. I wonder if a rifle length port would have worked with the not too uncommon .625" gas block, however."
2) With midlength gas you can cover up the gas block with various DD rail options. If they had gone to rifle I don't think any of their existing rails would cover the gas block.

I actually have the FSB off of mine right now, and the gas port is bigger looking than I expected - but I don't have the tools to measure its exact diameter. I was assured by the DD rep that it is not overgassed. I haven't shot it yet.

An Undocumented Worker
04-23-11, 08:48

Finally got mine from DD built into a URG last week. I also put a battle comp on it and mated it up to a lower with the Vltor A5 reciever extension/buffer. It is the smoothest shooting AR I've personally shot. A basic rudimentary accuracy test using the TA-11 ACOG from my other AR allowed me to achieve just a hair over 1 moa at 100 yrds with federal gold medal match 69 grn open tip ammo.

I had them build it with a FSB and DD lite rail, I like to think of it as modernized version of the M16

Caeser25
04-23-11, 09:22
Finally got mine from DD built into a URG last week. I also put a battle comp on it and mated it up to a lower with the Vltor A5 reciever extension/buffer. It is the smoothest shooting AR I've personally shot. A basic rudimentary accuracy test using the TA-11 ACOG from my other AR allowed me to achieve just a hair over 1 moa at 100 yrds with federal gold medal match 69 grn open tip ammo.

I had them build it with a FSB and DD lite rail, I like to think of it as modernized version of the M16

Pics?

An Undocumented Worker
04-23-11, 10:52
No pics, don't have a camera. the setup is the 18" barrel, F marked FSB, DD 12" FSP Lite Rail, m4 upper receiver, DD BCG. DD A1.5 rear sight. DSA blem lower, GI lower parts kit/ FCG and grip, VLTOR A5 kit with emod, and a battlecomp

The center of gravity on this rig is somewhere right around the front third of the magwell.