PDA

View Full Version : Should I or Shouldn't I

jwfuhrman
01-20-11, 13:29
So, when I get some extra $$ I was debating on changing out the barrel on my Bushmaster 10.5 build to a Daniel Defense 10.3

This Bushmaster barrel is the only thing other than the lower brand that is still bushmaster on the gun. I only used this barrel(had it cut down to 10.5) because it was in my parts bin, along with the original A2 gas block it came with.

The gun has gone from being a "KISS" SBR to a Mk18 Mod 1 clone(well, as close as I could come with the financial restraints I put on it).

Its a 1/9, and Im not entirely sure its a true 5.56 chamber, its marked 5.56 but you know how that is with the "low end" guns.

Im gonna leave it as is for now, but Im really debating on just getting a DD 10.3 CHF barrel for it in a few months so I know I have a true 5.56 chamber, and so I have 1/7.

Just wanted to run this by you guys, as I can only run it by myself so many times before I make myself nuts.

Supermoto
01-20-11, 13:41
If a new barrel makes you happy then get it. Nothing worse than resenting your rifle

5pins
01-20-11, 14:53
How many rounds have you shot through it? You may be able to pull it off, sell it and recoup some of your cost.

jwfuhrman
01-20-11, 16:42
its got probably close to 3000rds thru it. I bought it in 2005, was the first AR I ever bought..... then I found this site, and the barrel came off the upper and i started building other guns(BCM based).

Would love to go with a BCM 10.5 BUT they dont make them lol.

Belmont31R
01-20-11, 16:49
I would change it out if:

1. You want to shoot heavy bullets.

2. You're having reliability issues due to the chamber.

3. If your OCD is driving you nuts having a Bushy 1/9 barrel.

I would also look at the Centurion CHF 10.5" barrels.

Terry
01-20-11, 19:11
If you are asking the question, you will.
Personally, I would.
I guess the reasons being the chf bbl, 1/7 twist, and the peace of mind from knowing your chamber is a true 5.56.

strambo
01-20-11, 19:22
I'd shoot the snot out of it and swap it out after another 10-15K rounds. That's just me.

R3V3LATIONS
01-20-11, 19:29
I would say "it depends when you purchased your rifle"
In my opinion, Bushy hasnt always been crap. Thats something that has gradually come about more or less. My friend has a 90's Bushy rifle and suprisingly every thing is decent on it. May have just been luck, but coming full circle, I would not change it just becuase its a bushy. If your not sure if its a true 5.56, have it looked at for verification, and replace it if it really is not the true spec 5.56 or defunct in some other way. That is just my .02 though, best of luck regardless.

(and before I declare the range hot on myself, I am aware that DD is, has been, and will be a far superior manufacturer to bushmaster, and am in no way trying to say otherwise.)

seb5
01-20-11, 19:31
Is it a range toy or used for serious stuff? If a toy and it works, who cares! Would you get anymore enjoyment out of it because it has a different barrel?

Pappabear
01-21-11, 00:45
kinda like asking "are my pants too short", if you have to ask, they are too short. Change it or your going to be running around looking at your ankles. :D

pb

jwfuhrman
01-21-11, 07:58
definitely not a range toy, thats for sure. Each of the AR's I have is built to fill a specific role.

I think Im going to run with it for a while, Ive got to finish my 3gun upper first, but I do believe a Mk18 RIS and a DD 10.3 are in my future

panzerr
01-21-11, 08:51
I think Im going to run with it for a while, Ive got to finish my 3gun upper first, but I do believe a Mk18 RIS and a DD 10.3 are in my future

Good call. I would shoot your current barrel out, then replace it. You won't notice a difference in performance.

11B101ABN
01-24-11, 20:17
Good call. I would shoot your current barrel out, then replace it. You won't notice a difference in performance.

Beat me to it.

Shoot it til it breaks. Enjoy.

dcs12345
01-24-11, 21:32
I am willing to bet that if you change out the barrel for the DD one, sooner or later the bushmaster barrel will grow another upper receiver.

Upper receivers are cheap compared to barrels....maybe down the road you will want a light KISS carbine again.

jwfuhrman
01-25-11, 16:53
kinda what Im thinking actually. May just convert this upper back to a KISS and build the Mk18 upper just fine

Magic_Salad0892
01-25-11, 17:08
I'd go Centurion for the barrel.

Daniel Defence if you were just going to buy it as an upper receiver group.

markm
01-25-11, 18:31
Is it a range toy or used for serious stuff? If a toy and it works, who cares! Would you get anymore enjoyment out of it because it has a different barrel?

Indeed. Two of my range guns have bushmaster barrels. They get all the nasty duty like silencer shooting and such.

Magic_Salad0892
01-26-11, 03:06
markm where the hell have you been?