View Full Version : LMSdefense Carbine I AAR

Greyman09
08-28-07, 15:04
AAR LMS Carbine I
Fayetteville NC August 25-26, 2007

Instructors:
Troy Price
Tony Siciliano

I met Tony and Troy in January at another training class. We had dinner that night and some good discussion about their thoughts on training. I was impressed in that they were continuing to educate themselves. They understand that training evolves and they want to find the best way to train and teach. Throughout this class they spoke about the evolving nature of technique and training. The way they teach is a way not the way. They want you to test everything that teach you and make sure it works for you. They are both very professional and work hard to improve the students in the class.

Friday night most of the class ate dinner at Ryan’s, a family style buffet restaurant. It was good to get to know everyone and put faces with names. This was a good group of people and I looked forward to the next day of training.

Training Day 1

A lot of good information was given in a short amount of time. A safety brief started the day and an evacuation plan discussed. This class is about winning a gunfight. We had good discussion and practical application of each topic that the instructors presented. Every drill we ran was demonstrated to us by either Tony or Troy. It was always nice to see it done properly by our very capable instructors. Everything taught were tactics that have been used in combat and are being refined as I write in hot spots around the world. Topics covered the first day include:

- Function and Maintenance of the AR platform( all students were using this platform)
- Zero of Rifle
- Internal and External ballistics
- Gear discussion, Making gear selection on your given mission. This discussion was very helpful in making future gear purchases.
- Go Bags/ Bug out Bags
- Proper fighting position. Learning this was worth the entire class. It was the building block for future movement while shooting.
- Reloads
- Malfunction Drills
Saturday night was a group dinner with a good call for Ribs by J.L.

Training Day 2

It was cloudy in the morning and was a nice break from the North Carolina heat. But as soon as we started shooting the sun came out and it got hot quick. We jumped straight into today’s topic which was focused on shooting on the move.
Topics covered for the second day were
- Recap of prior day
- Shooting positions for use of cover
- Shooting on the move going in a straight line
- Shooting on the move changing directions
- Using Cover and Concealment
- Incorporating all of the above
- Touch on Team Tactics( this was something very new for me and I really enjoyed this part of the class)
- Using Communication for Team drills

Equipment

I ran a Stag rifle from Grant and GRtactical.com and he rifle ran great. Grant had inspected the rifle and preformed his reliability package to make sure the gun would function properly. Thanks for TimP I was able to give a SOtech chest rig a go and really liked using it for training. I am going to incorporate it into my future training. I ran Remington FMJ 55 grain and did not have a single ammo malfunction. This class did have some weapon problems and some ammo problems. One gun was very new and needed some round through it as well as being properly lubed. One gun experienced some problems and I do not think it was ever determined as to what needed to be done. My camelback was awesome!

Overview

This was my first 2 day carbine class and it was exceeded my expectation. I would recommend LMSdefense to anyone serious about learning to use your carbine in a defensive situation enjoyed training with both Tony and Troy. My fellow classmates were squared away guys that could shoot. I learned something from each of them over the 2 day as well. I think that everyone needs to know this is a fighting class. It is fast paced and moderately physical. We had one heat casualty on day one and it sucked he could not make it back on the second day. If you have the opportunity to train with Troy and Tony of LMSdefense do not hesitate. They are great instructors with real world experience that can teach the material. Check out the LMSdefense forums for some great training discussion and for future classes. I am looking forward to taking Carbine II and team tactics in the future.

Please let me know your thoughts on this AAR as it is my first one. Thanks

DKircher
08-28-07, 22:13
Good AAR, sounds like a lot of good stuff was covered and you got some good knowledge considering it was your first 2-day class. From all reports, LMS seems like a squared-away outfit.