PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Work?

thopkins22
01-20-11, 15:12
So I came across one of the S&W revolvers that I inherited from my father, and want to have some work done on it. I'm not sure what, that will no doubt become clear in discussions with whomever I select to do the work.

I know that I've seen work posted on this board, and I believe they both have representation here...but for the life of me can't remember who they are.

Can someone clue me in as to some go to places for this kind of thing?

The .357 Magnum in question...
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/3774b4f2.jpg
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/e34cf09b.jpg

lewis
01-20-11, 15:39
Joe B. at Superior Firearms does excellent work on Smith revolvers. He posts here as Mr. Smith and Superior has a forum in the industry area.

Mark71
01-20-11, 15:43
Randy Lee is also a forum member and works on S&W revolvers....

http://www.apextactical.com/

jasonhgross
01-20-11, 15:43
Does it need any work. Try some wolf springs, test for reliability with them, then shoot the shit out of it. I doubt after 500 rounds it will need anything.

thopkins22
01-20-11, 15:51
Does it need any work. Try some wolf springs, test for reliability with them, then shoot the shit out of it. I doubt after 500 rounds it will need anything.

It for sure needs a new firing pin installed on the hammer. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Thanks Lewis and Mark71, those are two of the guys I was thinking about but couldn't come up with the names.

rubberneck
01-20-11, 16:01
Ray Harms and Marc Morganti are two more to add to your list.

gtmtnbiker98
01-20-11, 16:30
Randy Lee of APEX, definitely.

DJK
01-20-11, 16:44
+2 for Randy Lee. Another excellent smith is Frank Glenn @ Accuracy Unlimited. I have or had carry and race guns from both.

okie john
01-20-11, 17:22
You can also send it back to S&W. The Performance Center offers several tuning packages at excellent prices, and the turnaround is fast.

Okie John

javentre
01-20-11, 17:31
Marc MorgantiI had a custom SP101 by Marc, it was a work of art.

Kevin P
01-20-11, 17:35
Grant Cunningham
Bowen Classic Arms-(they do alot of SA revolvers but they do modern guns as well)
Fletcher Custom Pistols
Cylinder and Slide

I don't know if the top 3 are currently accepting work.

Lucky Strike
01-20-11, 19:13
This past year I had Teddy Jacobson do work on two of my revolvers (Ruger GP100 and S&W 642).

His work was outstanding.

SWAT Lt.
01-20-11, 19:54
It's just fine the way it is. Spend the money on a set of grips and ammo and enjoy it.

thopkins22
01-20-11, 20:38
It's just fine the way it is. Spend the money on a set of grips and ammo and enjoy it.

It's not, the gun won't go bang....

Army Chief
01-20-11, 20:40
Joe B. at Superior Firearms does excellent work on Smith revolvers. He posts here as Mr. Smith and Superior has a forum in the industry area.

Highly recommended.

AC

Dienekes
01-20-11, 23:41
I doubt there's much wrong with it. I picked up what appears to be a tired and retired Model 19 police gun a while back with some end shake, etc. The most cost-effective thing to do with it was to send it into S&W for a check-out and tune-up. It still has substantial blue wear and nicks but mechanically it's now perfect again. Cost was around $120 and it's a fine shooter.

S&W's refinishing is prohibitive but mechanical issues are pretty much a slam dunk at a reasonable price.

dc202
01-21-11, 21:13
Marc has done an S&W and a Ruger for me. His work is impeccable.

.45fmjoe
01-21-11, 21:31
I bought an LNIB 5" Model 27-2 a year or so ago, it was my holy grail of N-frames next to a 6.5" 29-2. Unfortunately it had a really rough action, and when shooting magnum loads would bind to the point it wouldn't fire in DA. It was a victim of being assembled in the Bangor Punta era. I sent it to S&W and one of their gunsmiths, Gene, fixed it right up and barely charged me anything to do it. In my letter I asked to purchase a trigger job while they had it, and I stressed it sometimes sits on my nightstand so 100% reliability is what I'm after - just with a smoother trigger.

Gene didn't note anything about any trigger job, and he sure didn't charge me what S&W charges for a trigger job. The notes were "repair rough action." Let me just tell you, I have never shot such a smooth, sweet DA trigger that was of the factory pull weight before. It is absolutely amazing. I thought my well broken in Model 28-2's trigger was sweet until my 27-2 came back. Now the 6" Highway Patrolman's trigger just isn't what I thought it was! The S&W factory, in my experience, and what I've read over on the smith-wessonforum.com, does outstanding work for very reasonable money.

Ironnewt
01-23-11, 03:06
If you have not had your revolver repaired yet, contact your local PD and ask if their armorer has been around a while. If he hasn't ask about the guy who worked on the pistols in the "Pre-SemiAuto" era. I bet you a dollar to a dog turd he went to the S&W school and repaired more pistols than any 3 of the guys mentioned. I'm not saying they the 'smiths named are not any good (Heck I know they are) but that a typical Police gunsmith did nothing but repair S&W K or L frames until PD's went to Combat Tupperware. All day everyday.

CJ804
01-23-11, 12:33
it really depends on what you are wanting done. I use the three revos ive had trigger jobs on for competition, one for ipsa, one for icore, and one that i used in phase 1 and 2 of Oklahoma's Firearms Instructor School, which was a match 5 PPC course.

My pistol smith is Mike Carmoney, I have had nothing but complements when people feel the triggers that he's done. I have also heard really good things about Randy Lee and Mike will even say Ranyd's work is top notch, but Mikes turn around time is less than 2 weeks on average.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=192

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/chriscomer/th_IMG_0787.jpg (http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/chriscomer/?action=view&current=IMG_0787.jpg)

there is my 610 and 627