PDA

View Full Version : Best stock for Balance?

Cvolin85
01-20-11, 17:56
I'm a first time AR15 builder. and I'm building a 14.5" build with a 12+ FF tube. I've heard the UBR is better for this setup. But I'm not much for the looks is there something compairable?

Felix
01-20-11, 18:00
Check out the VLTOR EMOD, the LMT SOPMOD, and the Magpul ACS.

Cvolin85
01-20-11, 18:17
Check out the VLTOR EMOD, the LMT SOPMOD, and the Magpul ACS.

Thanks man!

Icculus
01-20-11, 18:41
Maybe this helps some

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations

Cvolin85
01-20-11, 19:33
Maybe this helps some

Thanks man! that was actually very helpful. But It does't say anything about a 14.5" Midlength? or does that matter?

I'm doing a 14.5" Midlength with a 12.37" Samson Evo FF rail. I see the rail is somewhat lighter then others so will the Emod work for this in your opinion? Because I'm really digging the Emod stock, But I want that balance if ya know what I mean.

Thanks for your help with the Link. I've got to send that to a few guys I know with Goofy setups. (ACS on a 18" midlength w/13.2" Larue)Yikes it's front heavy!:no:

strambo
01-20-11, 19:36
I would think the Emod would balance well with that setup. It almost balances my heavy as crap MRP with 16" piston barrel. It is tail-heavy with the 10.5" barrel in it. A 14.5" with a lighter rail/receiver would likely be just right.

Cvolin85
01-20-11, 19:40
Cool Strambo! I can't wait to start building. :thank_you2:

Col_Crocs
01-21-11, 02:46
Yup. Another vote for the Emod here. Im a ctr person but Ive been reconsidering that thought since handling the Emod. Very good balance and ergonomics. If you decide to opt for the Emod get it with the A5 buffere system.

Cvolin85
01-21-11, 03:51
Yup. Another vote for the Emod here. Im a ctr person but Ive been reconsidering that thought since handling the Emod. Very good balance and ergonomics. If you decide to opt for the Emod get it with the A5 buffere system.

What's the A5 buffer system all about? is it longer?

Bushmaster-M4A3
01-24-11, 00:23
It's really a matter of what you have up front that determines the balance. For me, I like the standard stock. The MOE stock works too.

BlueOvalFan
01-24-11, 01:28
On my 16" SS Noveske (heavy) Barrel w/12 DD lite rail I have a UBR. It balances the rifle well and I very much like it.

On my Centurion 16" w/9" DD lite rail (light weight M4 clone) I have the CTR. It too balances well with the lighter barrel.

Both are killer setups and would work well for you.

BTW: You know you can take the cargo door off the UBR and IMHO it improves the look greatly.

Cvolin85
01-24-11, 01:49
On my 16" SS Noveske (heavy) Barrel w/12 DD lite rail I have a UBR. It balances the rifle well and I very much like it.

On my Centurion 16" w/9" DD lite rail (light weight M4 clone) I have the CTR. It too balances well with the lighter barrel.

Both are killer setups and would work well for you.

BTW: You know you can take the cargo door off the UBR and IMHO it improves the look greatly.

I mostly don't like the way it looks when pulled out.. But I hear ya talkin:D

Army Chief
01-24-11, 06:32
This isn't about looks, so much as it is about the manner in which removing the doors provide a bit more convenience in terms of handling and such. The real issue, though, is this: what are you attemping to counter-balance at the muzzle (i.e. a suppressor) that would cause you to opt for such a relatively heavy stock?

The UBR is a tremendous product, but it does occupy something of a niche role, given everything else that is out there. If you're trying to build a lightweight, general purpose carbine, you might be better served by something that doesn't carry quite the same penalty in terms of weight and bulk.

AC

Mac5.56
01-24-11, 10:50
Maybe this helps some

Thanks for the link!

Scoby
01-24-11, 11:31
I've been down this road.

You'll never get an AR to truely "balance" if you consider the balance pivot point to be the grip. Way too much weight in front, esp. if you throw in a loaded 30rd mag.

It's all about the heft / handling of the gun and what kind of weight you're willing to add to the rear of the gun to satisfy your personal preference for handling.

Scoby

chapperjoe
01-24-11, 11:35
sully.

I'm a believer in the lightweight, but most guys run mid to heavy barrels, puts alot of weight out front.

sully balances AR's well.

sig556's even better

Cvolin85
01-24-11, 14:34
I'm wanting a good balance point at the front take down pin. I'm going to be running a midlength 14.5" with a 12.37" FF rail and maybe some light down the road. Function is first, Looks are second and in my opinion that UBR stock looks goofy. If the whole stock slid down the tube it would be ok. but the lower half slidding down the upper half while the upper half stays put... Not my style.:no:

tomcat11-64
01-24-11, 18:57
When you grow up and have hair on your face you will appreicate the UBR alittle more. No more pulled hairs!

Army Chief
01-24-11, 19:10
I'm wanting a good balance point at the front take down pin. I'm going to be running a midlength 14.5" with a 12.37" FF rail and maybe some light down the road. Function is first, Looks are second and in my opinion that UBR stock looks goofy. If the whole stock slid down the tube it would be ok. but the lower half slidding down the upper half while the upper half stays put... Not my style.:no:

Not going to blow your face off over the "looks" thing, but I think most shooters find the design lines of the UBR to be pretty attractive. The materials are first-rate, and quality of construction is exemplary. The only issue with these units is just that they add a bit more weight.

As for the upper/lower halves of the stock asssembly sliding, this is actually a beautiful thing: not so much because of appearances, but because this arrangement gives you a fixed stock cheekweld along with the versatility of a telescoping stock. It is highly unlikely that you would ever use it at full extension in a modern fighting stance, but even when it is ratcheted-out a few notches, it doesn't really present the kind of visual offset that seems to be vexing you. In fact, it is hardly noticeable at all, and I have to question the wisdom of adopting a "not my style" stance if you have yet to actually use the product.

I'm still not sure that I would recommend it for a 14.5" setup, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with aesthetics.

AC

Cvolin85
01-24-11, 20:20
When you grow up and have hair on your face you will appreicate the UBR alittle more. No more pulled hairs!

When I grow up? I'm 25 and I bet my beard is longer than yours. :haha:

dprichard
01-24-11, 20:40
I have had the UBR, SOPMOD, CTR and VLTOR Emod. My thoughts, UBR is heavy. I loved it and it's function was great, but just too heavy. CTR was eh, alright. Emod and Sopmod both very nice. EMOD is my current stock though and I will probably be switching to the ACS for looks. As far as weight and balance, I like the EMOD and SOPMOD best so far. Not too heavy.

Mitch
01-24-11, 21:11
Take a look at this, its a great tool. Just input your rifle specs and you can determine which stock will work for you.

Vuurwapen Blog AR-15 Balance Calculator (http://545ar.com/calc22.html)

dprichard
01-24-11, 21:24
Take a look at this, its a great tool. Just input your rifle specs and you can determine which stock will work for you.

Vuurwapen Blog AR-15 Balance Calculator (http://545ar.com/calc22.html)

K that is kind of a kewl tool

13MPG
01-24-11, 22:18
The LMT SOPMOD stocks seemed to work well on most of the 14.5”-18” rifles that I have had. I have not yet had a chance to use one of the Vltor stocks yet but I am looking forward to getting on of the Vltor A5 E-Mods to use on a 16” upper with a 14” Daniel Defense rail.

Cvolin85
01-25-11, 12:31
I decided to order the Vltor Emod. Only because the rail I'm getting is not very heavy for a 12.37" Rail. 11.5oz is pretty light. So the UBR won't be needed.

Thanks everyone for your help!

ForTehNguyen
01-25-11, 14:10
UBR is too heavy for a 14.5 + FF. I've swapped stocks around on various setups to test this. UBR works good on HBAR and 20" setups. However the Magpul ACS balances perfect with a 16" middy with 12" FF rail

GermanSynergy
01-25-11, 14:16
My vote goes for the UBR. I'll take functionality over aesthetics every time on a social weapon. The EMOD is also an excellent stock.

Cvolin85
01-25-11, 14:51
I may go with the UBR on a later build(18" 6.8SPC w/ 15" FF). Not really doing it for balance at that point though. :D.

veeklog
01-25-11, 15:40
I have the CTR, EMOD, and ACS on three different rifles. With the heavier free float hand guard the ACS, EMOD, or SOPMOD would balance itself better. Here are two with the ACS and EMOD.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/veeklog/Firearms/P1000706-1-1.jpg

Here is one with CTR; sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/veeklog/Firearms/85fd38c4-2.jpg

Cvolin85
01-25-11, 18:42
I have the CTR, EMOD, and ACS on three different rifles. With the heavier free float hand guard the ACS, EMOD, or SOPMOD would balance itself better. Here are two with the ACS and EMOD.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/veeklog/Firearms/P1000706-1-1.jpg

Here is one with CTR; sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/veeklog/Firearms/85fd38c4-2.jpg

Are those all 14.5" Rifles? Look good! I like that ACS better then the UBR anyday. I don't know what it is about the UBR that I just don't like. Is the Emod a little shorter then the ACS? or just picture making it look like that.

veeklog
01-25-11, 20:57
Are those all 14.5" Rifles? Look good! I like that ACS better then the UBR anyday. I don't know what it is about the UBR that I just don't like. Is the Emod a little shorter then the ACS? or just picture making it look like that.

Thank you for the compliment; it was much appreciated. Yes, all are Colt 14.5" barrels. As for the Emod and ACS, they are the same length. I really like the ACS a lot, and it balances well with 14.5" barrel. The only thing I hate about the ACS is that you have to buy the quick detach sling swivel mounts seperately. The CTR and Emod come with them standard from the factory.

RogerinTPA
01-26-11, 00:05
Magpul ACS or SOPMOD. I like both, but the ACS has the edge due to being less coin.

dprichard
01-26-11, 00:13
Magpul ACS or SOPMOD. I like both, but the ACS has the edge due to being less coin.

I think the ACS weighs less as well.

Cvolin85
01-26-11, 00:35
So after looking at the ACS.... ALOT! Back and fourth between ACS and EMOD. I think the ACS is starting to grow on me. I kinda lick the friction lock thing. Plus the adjustment part also looks more solid then the one that comes on the EMOD. Like I said it's going on a 14.5" Gov barrel with a Samson 12.37" Evolution FF rail. So I'm just wanting something with good balance and something to put my hand on when taking those long shots.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 01:28
The only thing I don't like about ACS is the latch compartment isn't water proof. Although I don't know if they have corrected. This since they first came out? Anyone know?