PDA

View Full Version : MOE Mid length hand guard and the MBUS front sight

JMEL
01-20-11, 20:16
OK so I'm new to this whole AR addiction and am building my first one. So I ordered a Palmetto MOE LPK and then the Mid length hand guard and the MBUS as well as some other MagPul goodies. My original game plan was to mount the MBUS frt sight on the gas block. Not seeing the warning posted about doing this I now have a Front MBUS sight I can't use. My question is why does MagPul make the two parts but not make them compatible with each other. I love the looks of both but now it looks like I will need to go with a steel flip up frt sight now. OR is there a way I can use the MBUS frt sight with another type of mount. What about a rail extension off the gas block that would help with the heat issue, just looking for help here before I buy another frt sight.

JMEL

JMEL
01-22-11, 18:30
Well no help here so I bought a metal flip up frt sight. Anyone want to buy a NIB MBUS FRT sight?

JMEL

Hmac
01-22-11, 19:04
OK so I'm new to this whole AR addiction and am building my first one. So I ordered a Palmetto MOE LPK and then the Mid length hand guard and the MBUS as well as some other MagPul goodies. My original game plan was to mount the MBUS frt sight on the gas block. Not seeing the warning posted about doing this I now have a Front MBUS sight I can't use. My question is why does MagPul make the two parts but not make them compatible with each other. I love the looks of both but now it looks like I will need to go with a steel flip up frt sight now. OR is there a way I can use the MBUS frt sight with another type of mount. What about a rail extension off the gas block that would help with the heat issue, just looking for help here before I buy another frt sight.

I'm confused by your question. You were using a gas block with integral Picatinney rail and were planning on mounting a plastic front sight on it? And you assumed that would work because you also have plastic handguards?:confused:

HeavyDuty
01-22-11, 19:35
I'm confused by your question. You were using a gas block with integral Picatinney rail and were planning on mounting a plastic front sight on it? And you assumed that would work because you also have plastic handguards?:confused:

You're not alone:

My question is why does MagPul make the two parts but not make them compatible with each other.

Apples and hand grenades, totally unrelated parts. Magpul didn't make your gas block.

JMEL
01-22-11, 20:13
Here's the deal. I wanted to do a full dress with MagPul gear. To top it off I went with the MBUS sights which I bought from Brownell's. As I also stated I'm new to the whole AR deal And was unaware about the gas block and heat issue with the plastic MBUS sight. Brownell's doesn't list the warning out right which would have stopped me from buying it. My question is why doesn't MagPul make a system that is complete? I mean why sell a furniture set that can't be used with the MBUS sight set? Thus my other question could a rail extension off the gas block work to help keep the MBUS sight cool? Or make the MOE Mid length hand guard with a rail attachment point at 12 o'clock as well as 10, 2 and 6.

Is that a bit more clear?

JMEL

Hmac
01-22-11, 21:04
I think you misunderstood that the MBUS was part of a "furniture set", or somehow related to the MOE line. Most people would use the MOE hand guards with an FSB as the front sight. IMHO using it with a railed gas block for a flip-up front sight seems like it would be a little awkward.

HeavyDuty
01-22-11, 21:28
JMEL, I see where you're coming from. Basically the MBUS is part of their line for railed weapons and the MOE is a separate line of furniture.

JMEL
01-22-11, 22:39
JMEL, I see where you're coming from. Basically the MBUS is part of their line for railed weapons and the MOE is a separate line of furniture.

Pretty much. I find it odd they make the MBUS sight system and it doesn't work with anything they sell. Like I had mentioned it would be nice if the MOE hand guard had a rail attachment point on top so one could complete the whole package.

JMEL

durus5995
01-22-11, 23:08
Pretty much. I find it odd they make the MBUS sight system and it doesn't work with anything they sell. Like I had mentioned it would be nice if the MOE hand guard had a rail attachment point on top so one could complete the whole package.

JMEL

But it does work when the set is used like it should. The front MBUS was never intended to go on a railed gas block. From what I understand even if you do put it on a gasblock the sight sits to low to be zeroed properly. Instead it is supposed to go on a quad rail that mounts with out a front sight base.

You do make a good point there are a lot of front BUISes that just plain do not work because of the height difference between the railed gas block and the rail on the upper receiver. You need a special BUIS that is designed for the railed gas block height.

JMEL
01-24-11, 21:23
What's even stranger is the rear of the MOE mid length guard has a half ass'd almost rail style groove molded into it for a few inches. They could easily change the mold to include a finished rail on the length of the guard which would then allow the MBUS system to be used with their very own Hand guards. To me and I think others this would make perfect sense. Sell a sight system that can be used with their furniture. I mean come on why sell a sight system that can only be used with some other companies hardware. Keep the money in house guys quit selling the other guys gear so yours can be used.

JMEL

HeavyDuty
01-24-11, 21:36
Non-freefloated handguards aren't stable enough for mounting iron sights or optics.

Hmac
01-24-11, 22:02
I would never mount a sight on a plastic hand guard that snaps together and whose security of connection depends on its fit in the spring loaded delta ring - not nearly solid enough. In your situation, the only solution to meet your requirements would be if Magpul made a steel sight (not their schtick). Plenty of alternate solutions out there.

dennisuello
01-24-11, 22:19
What's even stranger is the rear of the MOE mid length guard has a half ass'd almost rail style groove molded into it for a few inches. They could easily change the mold to include a finished rail on the length of the guard which would then allow the MBUS system to be used with their very own Hand guards. To me and I think others this would make perfect sense. Sell a sight system that can be used with their furniture. I mean come on why sell a sight system that can only be used with some other companies hardware. Keep the money in house guys quit selling the other guys gear so yours can be used.

JMEL

the recess in the handguard right in front of the upper receiver's rail, is so you can slide on a red dot or another optic without the need to move back the charging handle.

Hmac
01-25-11, 07:07
Given the modular nature of the AR15 platform, it's asking a lot to expect Magpul or any one company to address every possible accessory for every possible configuration. As it is, Magpul has great, and complete, solutions for the vast majority of configurations as represented by either some form of railed aluminum forearm, or some kind of forearm with an FSB. A railed gas block isn't a mainstream configuration. Especially since several solutions exist, I'm prepared to forgive Magpul for not putting yet another metal front sight on the market to address something that would only rarely be a problem. I suspect that these various companies are assuming that as we build our rifles we'll research our build and the components thereof rather than just blindly looking for some sort one-size-fits-all kit that contains every part we might need.

120mm
01-25-11, 07:18
Here's the deal. I wanted to do a full dress with MagPul gear. To top it off I went with the MBUS sights which I bought from Brownell's. As I also stated I'm new to the whole AR deal And was unaware about the gas block and heat issue with the plastic MBUS sight. Brownell's doesn't list the warning out right which would have stopped me from buying it. My question is why doesn't MagPul make a system that is complete? I mean why sell a furniture set that can't be used with the MBUS sight set? Thus my other question could a rail extension off the gas block work to help keep the MBUS sight cool? Or make the MOE Mid length hand guard with a rail attachment point at 12 o'clock as well as 10, 2 and 6.

Is that a bit more clear?

JMEL

I feel your pain. And this is why nearly everyone who knows anything about the AR system recommends for new to the system owners to buy just a basic, plain Jane system, and shoot it first, to discover what they really need. Buying an M4gery "with all the trimmings" can be a very, very expensive mistake if you don't know what you are doing.

BTW, the MBUS is not part of the MOE "system". It was designed, built and intended for those who use rails. It's also relatively inexpensive, as AR parts go, so is a relatively cheap lesson.