PDA

View Full Version : Do I want a 5" M&P9L?

mkmckinley
01-20-11, 21:55
First off I'm set on my fulls size M&P9 and I carry it daily. I'm starting to get into a little low level competition and I have to opportunity to pick up a long slide version of the M&P9. I don't have any real experience competing or with long slide polymer guns, but I've heard that a lot of people like a G34 for competition. Should I go for it? What can I expect to gain from running an M&P9? Does anyone actually carry a 5" M&P?

rathos
01-20-11, 22:16
I have a 5 incher that I got a great deal on. I have carried it a few times, not much different then my Full size .45. I have used it a few times in some local IDPA shoots. I haven't noticed much difference between shooting the 5 incher and a regular 9, accuracy seemed to be the same.

If I already had a regular full size I wouldn't waste my money on a 5 inch gun.

MP9
01-20-11, 23:03
I only have for now a M&P9 FS, and I use this for IDPA, and only have 3 months going to IDPA locals matches.. and only 5 matches.. as I am learning I dont think I need any L version or g34..

Actually with the mp9 ssp unclassified I got one match 1st place, 2 2nd place..I am not doing so bad being a new shooter

with the mp9 your are fine. After a time if you really like this and overcome your gun, then you can buy another for competition.

good luck

Hmac
01-20-11, 23:31
After years of carrying and using my P229 .40 cal, I bought an M&P 9L for local competition and courses, and the cheaper ammo. Since I don't really carry it, I got the long slide and have several Arredondos for 21 rounds, and put a DCAEK in it (minus the return spring). I was attracted by the more weight out front and the longer sight radius, although that's more theoretical than practical since I'm not really good enough for those things to make much difference in my shooting.

I love that P229 for its workmanship and reliability - I've had it since 1996 - but I gotta say...that M&P sure does shoot well.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/129335587.jpg

citizensoldier16
01-21-11, 02:30
Through my experience with both the G17 and the G34 in IDPA, the extra length adds almost no increase in accuracy, and the extra weight up front is hardly noticeable (it's less than an ounce heavier). Granted a Glock is not an M&P, I think its a fair comparison given your question deals with slide length.

In addition, a long-slide pistol will only take longer to clear your holster during a competition :D

That being said, I have no experience with the M&P series in competition...only the G34 and the G17. I've noticed no decrease in my times nor increase in my accuracy shooting the 34 versus the 17, and I have to imagine that your experience with the two models of the M&P would be similar given you are just starting out in competitions.

It all boils down to what feels right for you. Competition guns do not make competition shooters. Practice with what you decide on, then practice some more.

With that, Dave Sevigny does shoot the G34...the long-slide version of the G17...food for thought.

Rayrevolver
01-21-11, 10:06
I am a beginner with respect to IDPA. I started doing it with the mindset I would use my carry piece and IWB (Glock 26, Warren 2 dots, with NY/- combo).

Recently I switched to a 100% stock M&P 9 Pro for IDPA. The long slide shoots softer and with the PC sear (comes stock on the 9 Pro) I can shoot it faster. I am using WWB.

At my skill level the 9 Pro helps when I need to dump 3 or 5 rounds quickly at close ranges. For whatever reason, my G26 is a laser beam and I would almost say more accurate than my 9 Pro.

EDIT: The right answer is probably to use what you got. Save the cash for ammo and training. (I still want a G34 for some reason...)

Beat Trash
01-21-11, 11:14
I've been carrying and shooting an issued M&P9 fs since they first came out. I bought a M&P9L shortly after it was introduced. (Sold a Glock 34 to buy the 9L)

I shot it for about 18 months. I ended up selling it though. I really didn't shoot it any faster when put on a timer. The balance and feel of the 9L was just different enough from the M&P9fs for me to notice the difference. This was throwing me off a bit due to the amount of time I had already invested in the M&P9fs.

The thought of carrying a M&P9L isn't unrealistic. When you lay one on top of a full size 1911, it's real close. Many carry a fs 1911 daily (myself also, many moons ago).

Hmac
01-21-11, 11:24
The thought of carrying a M&P9L isn't unrealistic. When you lay one on top of a full size 1911, it's real close. Many carry a fs 1911 daily (myself also, many moons ago).

Nah, but if I were going to carry a concealed pistol, a 9L with Arredondo mag extension wouldn't be my first choice if I have a P229 in .40 in the stable. Which I do...

keysersoze
01-22-11, 13:15
I EDC an M&P9L, either in a body bag (Maxpedition Noatak or my laptop bag I modded with a velcro panel) or a strongside OWB made by a friend. I don't have problems carrying it, or concealing it (even though I'm not a big guy, I'm around 5'7 and 180lbs) when I use the flush magazine; the Arredondo mag goes in a Comp-Tac mag carrier.

I'm thinking that the 18 rounds using the flush mag (I'm also counting the chambered round) would be good enough if SHTF?

majette
01-24-11, 14:06
i had a pro model and the upgraded trigger it comes with made it a great shooter compared to a stock m&p. the novak fiber optic sight was a nice feature as well.

Magsz
01-24-11, 15:02
I like the sight radius on my 5 inch pro but i will be honest, i shoot the 4.25 faster but the 5 inch more accurately.

Once i put a .100 width front onto my 4.25 inch gun i should be able to replicate the accuracy i am getting out of my 5 inch gun.

The 5 inch guns have a different recoil impulse than the 4.25 inchers. Since the front sight is moving further than the 4.25 inch gun it doesnt feel as though it settles as quickly as the shorter gun.

Having said that, i love my 5 inch so i would strongly recommend you give it a whirl before you plunk down the change.

When its all said and done if you like your 4.25 inch gun you will probably like the 5 inch but there is no real "need" for the longer sight radius in my eyes.

Pappabear
01-24-11, 15:14
M&P 5 inch Pro, awesome out of the box.
Trigger and sights....

kartoffel
01-25-11, 00:21
I carry an M&P9L regularly too. IWB, even. You'll never notice the extra 3/4ths of an inch while carrying, but it sure is nice to shoot.

Had considered the Pro model but after trying out some other guns I decided Apex's parts worked better for me. Got a 9L with factory tritium sights and dropped a DCAEK in it. Runs great.