PDA

View Full Version : Ar 15 noob

dudley2112
01-21-11, 11:22
Hey, I'm new to the whole customizing Ar's thing, until recently i had been running a pretty much stock Norinco Cq556 but i picked up an armalite m15a4 midlength this week. So im looking at putting a new stock on it and am slightly overwhelmed, i was looking at a SOPMOD but at 400$ i dont think thats gonna happen, I was wondering what the consensus on RRA operator stock was? any good? Does commercial vs milspec buffer tube make that much of a difference?

thanks

oh and after seeing all the NFA items you guys can have all i have to say is.....
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss344/alexpinos/tavor3.jpg

Tavor :D

sammage
01-21-11, 11:32
Might search for the difference in commercial vs mil spec extensions, as it will affect whether the stock fits.

bkb0000
01-21-11, 11:39
armalite uses milspec receiver extensions.

SOPMOD stocks do not cost $600 here in the states.. are you sure you werent looking at a SOPMOD lower receiver?

i have no idea what parts availability is like up there.. but Vltor makes good wide-cheekweld stocks also.

dudley2112
01-21-11, 11:48
armalite uses milspec receiver extensions.

SOPMOD stocks do not cost $600 here in the states.. are you sure you werent looking at a SOPMOD lower receiver?

i have no idea what parts availability is like up there.. but Vltor makes good wide-cheekweld stocks also.

sorry typo 400$ thats for the stock with buffer tube, but my armalite has one of the 4 pos stocks on it now so im gonna need a new tube and stock etc

bkb0000
01-21-11, 12:56
that's still twice as much as they go for here.

you don't need the whole kit... if you want to blow the money, that's obviously your prerogative, but the 4-pos will be fine. it probably makes a difference of about a quarter inch.

dudley2112
01-21-11, 13:54
that's still twice as much as they go for here.

you don't need the whole kit... if you want to blow the money, that's obviously your prerogative, but the 4-pos will be fine. it probably makes a difference of about a quarter inch.

ya thats the canadian market everything costs more... so the SOPMOD stock would work on the Armalite 4 Pos. tube? hmm something to consider, still looking for some feedback on the RRA, they're about 1/2 the price of the sopmod

opmike
01-21-11, 14:53
I think you'll find most here are running products from LMT (SOPMOD), Magpul, or VLTOR. All three companies have solid offerings. I find the SOPMOD too expensive for my tastes, personally. It's a good unit, however. I prefer the Magpul CTR with the locking mechanism.

I don't have any experience with the RRA unit.

bkb0000
01-21-11, 15:00
RRA is not a respected name, in most professional tactical circles, nor here. there've been a couple guys here who claim they're good stocks, but that runs contrary to a few of us who have seen 'em and decided they're sort of pieces of shit. the first one i saw was literally falling apart... in their defense, it was right when they first came out and were probably still in T&E. aside from that, they just don't bring anything new to the table that other, battle proven designs don't.

check out vltor.. i was a big sopmod guy till i finally started using the modstock (vltor). it's cheap and good. cheap and good rocks.

shadow65
01-21-11, 15:08
Vltor Mod Stock would be a good, less expensive option.
I personally like the Magpul CTR or MOE but it depends on what you are after.

zombie killer
01-21-11, 15:08
What is your reason/s for choosing the RRA stock over Magpul/VLTOR/LMT? What attracts you to this particular stock? Price, cheek weld, storage?

You might check out this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70376)

ssracer
01-21-11, 15:11
Don't know if they ship to the great white north or not, but check out the tactical intent TI-7. It's sort of a blend of sopmod/magpul. The stock itself is about $90 here.

dudley2112
01-21-11, 17:38
What is your reason/s for choosing the RRA stock over Magpul/VLTOR/LMT? What attracts you to this particular stock? Price, cheek weld, storage?

You might check out this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70376)

storage isnt an issues cant shoot it outside an range, umm i tried out a sopmod on another guys gun and it felt great but a little out of my student price range so i was thinking based on how it looked the RRA might offer a cheaper alternative while still feeling better then a standard carbine stock. Maybe ill look at a MOE or CTR.

OMD
01-21-11, 17:43
Also, if you're wanting to sling it I'd look at the CTR instead of the MOE for the QD sling swivel mount built in.

Tom Swift
01-21-11, 20:26
Dudley2112 is a good friend he's a good guy so go easy on him.

shadow65
01-21-11, 21:16
The MOE or CTR definetely feels better to me than an M4 stock.
The CTR has a friction lock and quick detach sling mount.
The MOE does not but cost about half the price of a CTR. I run MOE's on 3 of my carbines.

lt211
01-22-11, 06:49
dudley2112. I would go with the Vltor Black Standard IMod(if you could). Check it out, IMHO its a great stock. Its half the price and lighter. I have the SOPMOD, came with my LMT and various other stocks including the EMOD and CTR(all great and serve a purpose). All things considered, price,weight,features & versatility this is my new favorite. Good luck.....

http://www.vltor.com/imod-basic.html

dudley2112
01-22-11, 10:48
not sure about getting a VLTOR can't seem to find a dealer for them, im thinking ill just go with a MOE, Thanks guys.