PDA

View Full Version : Input requested for an all-around Autoloader

ASH556
01-21-11, 14:47
I'm interested in purchasing a shotgun to serve the following purposes (in no particular order):
1)Dove Hunting
2)Skeet/Sporting Clays
3)Turkey Hunting
4)3-gun
5)Defense (not a primary or even secondary role)

I really want a nice auto-loader. From my very limited experience, that means Benelli M2, or FN SLP. I know there have to be other options. Which would you recommend and why? It is important to me for the gun to feed Wal-mart bulk loads. I would like to be able to go from a "tactical" or "competition" gun to a "field" gun that won't freak my grandpa out if I go turkey hunting with him.

Thank you for your input!

arizona98tj
01-22-11, 22:06
I can't speak about the Benelli....never had one.

I do have an FNH SLP Mk1. It has a 22" barrel and takes a choke so you should be able to switch between dove and turkey pretty well. Mine likes the 100 round Federal value packs found at Walmart. I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine consisting of buckshot, birdshot, and slugs. The mag will hold up to 8 rounds. While I don't use mine for wing shooting, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. If I wanted to use it for that, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Crow Hunter
01-23-11, 10:24
I have owned a Benelli M1 for close to 10 years and used it for everything you list (and duck/crow hunting) with the exception of 3-gun (I haven't tried that yet) and I have never had a hiccup other than a few dud primers. I have fired everything from 3in magnum steel shot to cheap Wal-mart No. 8 & 7 1/2 low brass (my usual crow hunting load). I really like the light weight and increased reliability of the Benelli compared to the Browning Gold 3.5 inch that was my 1st auto.

I have never even held a FN so I can't comment on it.

arizona98tj
01-23-11, 13:02
Both the Benelli and the FNH are good auto-loaders. You can't go wrong getting either one, IMO.