PDA

View Full Version : Timney Straight Trigger

carbinero
01-21-11, 16:19
Yet another reason why I love all the 700 aftermarkets...

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/229861

Alpha Sierra
01-23-11, 09:57
Unless I am missing something, and I very well could be, this is a terrible idea:

The Straight Trigger features a Timney designed safety that blocks the trigger not the sear,

tuck
01-27-11, 00:26
I don't want to knock it before I try it, but I think that would be a poor choice for any thing other than a dedicated target/benchrest rig.

goneballistic
01-30-11, 23:52
interesting idea, I think it'd be ok given the weight it was set it. I sometimes dislike curved triggers because I have big fingers and sometimes they don't really fit into a heavily curved trigger and so it's hard to get consistent pull.

I'd have to try one for a while though before I'd put it on anything but my target rifles. I may have to get one for my rock chuck rifle and see how she goes.

Alpha Sierra
01-31-11, 04:09
I don't want to knock it before I try it, but I think that would be a poor choice for any thing other than a dedicated target/benchrest rig.

Why would it be suitable only for a target rifle?

carbinero
02-07-11, 15:46
I'm also curious about what's the problem with that...Timneys get plenty of great reviews, and the article continues...

"The Straight Trigger features a Timney designed safety that blocks the trigger not the sear, which is standard on all Timney Remington 700 replacement triggers."

Is this incorrect?

Artos
02-07-11, 16:28
it wouldn't work for BR...you need 1.5oz, not 1.5lbs.

there are no safeties on benchrest guns...bolt is out of the action until the command is given.

BCmJUnKie
02-09-11, 13:18
If you get one do a review on it. I was looking at one of these for my 700 as well.

tuck
02-10-11, 00:41
Why would it be suitable only for a target rifle?

To me, a curved trigger forces your finger to index the same location on the trigger every time your finger touches it. It brings a level of consistency that I don't think you can get with a straight trigger. Especially if you're shooting from an awkward position.

Alpha Sierra
02-10-11, 09:16
To me, a curved trigger forces your finger to index the same location on the trigger every time your finger touches it. It brings a level of consistency that I don't think you can get with a straight trigger. Especially if you're shooting from an awkward position.
That must be why straight triggers are so popular in 10M air rifle, NRA smallbore, and NRA mid range and long range prone, where consistency in everything you do is of top importance.

Regardless of how awkward a position you may find yourself in, the relationship of hand to stock and finger to trigger should not change regardless of the shape of the trigger blade itself.

My experience shooting rifles with straight trigger blades does not bear out the issue of inconsistent finger placement.

tuck
02-10-11, 12:55
That must be why straight triggers are so popular in 10M air rifle, NRA smallbore, and NRA mid range and long range prone, where consistency in everything you do is of top importance.

Regardless of how awkward a position you may find yourself in, the relationship of hand to stock and finger to trigger should not change regardless of the shape of the trigger blade itself.

My experience shooting rifles with straight trigger blades does not bear out the issue of inconsistent finger placement.

I'm sure a straight trigger would work great for those disciplines where your shooting position is static, and your grip is absolutely consistent. However in a hunting or tactical situation when you have to shoot from in or around cover or engage a target quickly from a less than ideal position, your grip won't be perfectly consistent and a straight trigger would not be the best choice IMO. If it were, you would see more high end precision rifle builders such as GAP and Tac Ops using straight triggers.

Maybe I'm completely off base, but this is obviously just my opinion and should be taken as such. I would however like to give that particular trigger a try before I completely disown it. In any case, I'm done arguing the merits of curved vs. straight triggers... :D