PDA

View Full Version : Question for the pro's

Webhead
01-21-11, 20:52
I've been shooting for over 20 years, but have finally recently purchased my first Remington .308 bolt gun.

Any suggestions on good rings/scopes out there? My objective for the weapon is a long range target rifle, possible hunter later on down the road.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

austinN4
01-22-11, 06:54
Badger Ordnance, Seekins Precision and Warne are probably the top 3 independent manufacturers (don't make scopes). There are also the scope manufacturers and less expensive independents.

You also need to decide if you want steel or alloy.

Check out the wide selection and prices at SWFA: http://swfa.com/Mounts-Rings-and-Bases-C573.aspx

My own choice was a 20 moa steel Badger base and steel Badger rings.

orkan
01-23-11, 00:16
Rings - nightforce, badger, seekins. I like badger best.
Base - nightforce, badger, seekins. I like seekins best.

20moa base will get you to 1000yds from 100yd zero, given you go with an optic suited for the task.

Optics, well its a lot of user preference. Here are some of mine:

Premier
S&B
Nightforce
IOR
Vortex

Really, I'd need to know your budget, and more detail on what kind of shooting you will do most to make an educated suggestion for you.

okie john
01-23-11, 14:15
This question is too broad to answer with the information given. Target shooting and hunting require such different things from a rifle that most people build/buy specific rifles for each. A workable ring/base/scope combination for one will be awkward for the other, and the best for one is pretty much useless for anything else.

The best combination for a target rifle depends on what type of shooting you want to do. For a specific discipline, copy the people who win matches. That’s a good start even if you just want to break rocks across a canyon.

Hunters carry a rifle many miles for every shot they fire, so they favor short, light pieces that are quick to the shoulder over longer, heavier super-accurate rifles. 2 MOA will do for 80 if not 90% of all big-game hunting, but will pretty much guarantee you last place in any serious match. Then there's the ethical side of it: there is rarely much reason to shoot at big game past about 200m, but some folks think they can easily kill game at 8-900 yards or beyond just because they have a target rifle. The issue is best decided individually, but most people who study long range shooting soon become disinclined to shoot game that way.

I hope this helps, but you’ll get better answers if you can tell us what model you bought, what you plan to hunt, and what kind of target shooting you have in mind.

Okie John

austinN4
01-24-11, 11:38
Any suggestions on good rings
This is a good deal and if I need some I would jump on this:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72173

goneballistic
01-26-11, 21:09
I bought seeks 20MOA rings and base for my .308 bolt gun and really like them. good quality, great machining, were aligned out of the box and didn't need lapped. have gone on and off the scope with nary a mark. very good rings.