PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms mini red dot sight???

JR TACTICAL
01-21-11, 21:26
I have noticed that a few members run the Primary Arms mini red dot and was wondering the pros and cons of them, I am in the process of saving for a Aimpoint micro because I'm trying to cut some weight off the rifle but when I saw this for about 300 cheaper I could not help but consider it

Let me know what you think of them

Thanks
JR

Alaskapopo
01-21-11, 23:06
I have noticed that a few members run the Primary Arms mini red dot and was wondering the pros and cons of them, I am in the process of saving for a Aimpoint micro because I'm trying to cut some weight off the rifle but when I saw this for about 300 cheaper I could not help but consider it

Let me know what you think of them

Thanks
JR

They are a good choice on a range rifle, a 22 build, a 5.45 build. Basically anything where you don't plan on using the rifle for life and death. I have several and they have worked fine for me. But I prefer real aimpoints on serious guns. Battery life is one issue. The batteries in the Primary arms last 1000 hours. The batteries in the Aimpoint last 50000. The Aimpoint is brighter but the Primary Arms does ok. So bottom line on a range rifle go for it on a self defense gun pass.
Pat

JR TACTICAL
01-22-11, 14:15
Cool bro thanks for the reply, is the battery life the only reason to not use it as a primary optic or is there other reasons as well? I would love to get a aimpoint micro but just don't have the funds right now I have been trying to sell my EoTECH 557 or trade it for one but with no success would you suggest jumping up to a vortex red dot instead?

HeavyDuty
01-22-11, 14:23
This recent thread may help, and if you search I'm sure you will find others to read up:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70519

My take is pretty much the same as popo's - great for range toys and for .22LRs, not such a good idea for a weapon that may be used in defense of your life.

Alaskapopo
01-22-11, 15:35
Cool bro thanks for the reply, is the battery life the only reason to not use it as a primary optic or is there other reasons as well? I would love to get a aimpoint micro but just don't have the funds right now I have been trying to sell my EoTECH 557 or trade it for one but with no success would you suggest jumping up to a vortex red dot instead?

No I would not go with the Vortex its about the same quality as the PA sights. The micro's are pretty good but Aimpoints are simply built better and tougher.
Pat

cjt50
01-22-11, 16:33
Same as above; I used it to see if I liked the micro's in general before dropping major coin on the aimpoint.

The new gen of PA's have the emitter in the same place as the aimpoint, (4 o'clock) where the vortex is at 6 o'clock. I liked the PA's micro so much that I have one on a dedicated .22 upper and one on my son's MP15-22. They have held up well in those applications.