PDA

View Full Version : Got another beretta 92 today - yes, I have a problem :)

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 15:45
I was at the guns how today, and I picked up another new 92FS today for $499. My other 92FS is a USA made model (as are my two M9A1s). This one is Italian made, like my 92A1 and 90-Two..

So yes, I do have a problem.... But, I am done collecting 92 variants now, unless I see something like a compact model or something...

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3192/groupberetta1.jpg

My wheel-o-berettas...

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/5589/berettawheel1.jpg

AJD
01-22-11, 15:50
Nice, really like my two 92FS pistols. Really wish they would release some type of 92FS variant with a frame mounted safety again.

TXBSAFH
01-22-11, 15:51
Yes you do have a serious problem. I can help you with it, PM me I will give you my address where you send some to help you clear them out.

PdxMotoxer
01-22-11, 16:07
And to think my ex used to give me shit for wanting yet another 9mm
because i have a ruger p89, Kel-Tec p9, M&P9c, M&P9 FS, and
was looking at a ruger sr9c
at least mine are different sizes/purposes.
(actually i'm jealous of you're collection.. lol)

Very NICE collection.
I take it you do you're own reload 9mm or just like me buy in bulk?

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 16:46
And to think my ex used to give me shit for wanting yet another 9mm
because i have a ruger p89, Kel-Tec p9, M&P9c, M&P9 FS, and
was looking at a ruger sr9c
at least mine are different sizes/purposes.
(actually i'm jealous of you're collection.. lol)

Very NICE collection.
I take it you do you're own reload 9mm or just like me buy in bulk?

No, not into reloading. I blew up a Glock 17 in 1995 using someone else's reloads - after that, I have had zero interest in reloading or any aspect of it.

I just buy ammo at wal-mart usually. I have three other non Beretta 9mms too.

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 16:50
Yes you do have a serious problem. I can help you with it, PM me I will give you my address where you send some to help you clear them out.

I'm sure ya could :no::no::D

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 17:12
This is the one I got today...

I already changed out the grips, the hammer and added a "D" spring to lighten the trigger. Also put hex screws in place of the flathead screws.

And, the italian ones come with a roll pin (under the grips) - I changed it with the USA type pin that is easy to push out (I keep lots of extra parts)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9206/92fsnew.jpg

Safetyhit
01-22-11, 17:44
Nothing wrong with that picture SW, it's all money in the bank. And as time goes by the .40 90-Two I recently bought (that we discussed a bit last year) has quickly become my all-time favorite to shoot.

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 17:45
And as time goes by the .40 90-Two I recently bought (that we discussed a bit last year) has quickly become my all-time favorite to shoot.

Mucho kewl :)

Fly'nBuff
01-22-11, 17:55
Did you read the manual before use? :D

j/k, nice addition, but I'm digging that M9A1.

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 17:59
Did you read the manual before use? :D

j/k, nice addition, but I'm digging that M9A1.

Thanks... I basically have 1 92FS and 1 M9A1 for carry (I rotate). And then another 92FS, M9A1, a 90-Two and a 92A1 for range use occassionally/safe queen. When my son gets old enough, I will let him pick one of those 4 for his gun.

I know how to change out parts/strip the frame - so it is an easy platform to work on. And, I love the feel of the gun in my hand in a 1 handed grip with the hogue grip panels.

CLHC
01-22-11, 18:01
Nice! I had two of said pistols. There's a part of me that kind of sort a have this seller's remorse. . .

S-1
01-22-11, 18:06
Very nice collection, SW. I've always liked the 92 series. Good guns.

I bought an Italian Beretta 92F Police trade-in years ago for $299. It came with 3 mags, Safariland mag holder and Safariland 070 holster. I ended up selling it and I kick myself daily for my bonehead mistake. That is one gun that I wish I could have back. :(

helothar
01-22-11, 18:06
I haven't fired a lot of handguns, however of all the ones I have shot, the Beretta 92F had the smoothest, most butter trigger of them all. Congratulations!

Denali
01-22-11, 18:16
Very nice, however you do have some room for improvement, you need to ditch some of the rubber and roll with a nice custom set of wood stocks, like these custom brickwork checkered Rosewood stocks. ;)

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 18:32
Very nice, however you do have some room for improvement, you need to ditch some of the rubber and roll with a nice custom set of wood stocks, like these custom brickwork checkered Rosewood stocks. ;)

Haha, sorry. I put rubber grips on all my guns. The 90-Two is the only one I have that doesn't have rubber grips. My 1911s have it, and I put a piece of rubber inner tube on my HK P2000.

I'm not a fan of wooden grips. But, to each his own :)

HeavyDuty
01-22-11, 19:31
I've always admired 92s but they just don't fit my hand. Can anything be done for people like me that have short fingers? Grip panels, short triggers, whatever?

I'm considering picking up a full-sized 9mm and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

loupav
01-22-11, 19:49
Nothing wrong with buying more Berettas. Just a week ago I was tempted in buying a 92G Elite II which has been one of my dream guns for years now. But no cash helps the temptation go away.

Congrats!

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 20:43
I've always admired 92s but they just don't fit my hand. Can anything be done for people like me that have short fingers? Grip panels, short triggers, whatever?

I'm considering picking up a full-sized 9mm and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Well, there is the Vertec model - the backstrap isn't as fat (front to back). I have small hands, but the 92FS fits me perfectly - but only with hogue grip panels. The plastic grips are too slippery, and the wrap around hogues with the finger grooves make the grip too fat.

The more recent 92s with the curved backstrap have a slight radius at the top of the backstrap. That moves your hand just a tiny bit closer to the trigger. The old style, straight dustcover frame (and the M9) do not have this. Even thought it is a very slight change, it is enough to make a huge difference to me...

also - the 90-Two model has a "thin" grip that mimics the Vertec grip. It helps for people with small hands...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92FS.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9.jpg

HeavyDuty
01-22-11, 21:26
Thanks for pointing that out - I never would have noticed unless you had. I'll check one out.

ShipWreck
01-22-11, 22:01
Thanks... My camera doesn't light up black items too well unless I am in the sun, but here is another cool pic :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/beretta-group8.jpg

LHS
01-22-11, 23:19
FYI, Dan's Ammo in Pittsburgh has Italian-made 92 Compacts and 92 Centurions for under $400. They look like police trade-ins, with some finish wear but good internals. I'm seriously considering snagging one of the Compacts.

I've got three "Pizza Pistols" myself, a 92F, a 92G Elite and a 92G Compact. I love the platform, and the Elite has been my daily carry gun for years. The only problem has been finding good holsters, since the Elite has the fat Brigadier slide on it.

Turnkey11
01-23-11, 11:20
Very nice, the only other one I want right now is a 92G-SD.

Cobra66
01-23-11, 11:25
Nice Photos!

I really want to pick up an M9A1 before I move back to the PRC.

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 12:55
Very nice, the only other one I want right now is a 92G-SD.

Yes, I don't buy used guns typically, but I wouldn't mind one of those as well.

Slater
01-23-11, 13:49
My next handgun will likely be a 92A1. This particular model seems to be an amalgamation of features from the 92/M9A1/90Two lines. I guess Beretta is trying to keep the 92 series relevent for as long as possible. The 92A1's recoil buffer seems borrowed from the 90Two, (and really doesn't seem necessary for the 9mm version), but apparently prolongs frame life.

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 14:18
My next handgun will likely be a 92A1. This particular model seems to be an amalgamation of features from the 92/M9A1/90Two lines. I guess Beretta is trying to keep the 92 series relevent for as long as possible. The 92A1's recoil buffer seems borrowed from the 90Two, (and really doesn't seem necessary for the 9mm version), but apparently prolongs frame life.

Yes, it is my fav of all my 92s :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92a1-02.jpg

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 15:07
Ok, I'm pretty happy with how these pics came out :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/All-Beretta-label.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Beretta-wheel-2000.jpg

aflin
01-23-11, 15:20
Now all you need is a Vertec!! :)

Nice collection, I too have a soft spot for Berettas.

Palmguy
01-23-11, 15:41
I'll never have 6 Berettas, but I've considered picking up a railed model 92 at some point. Is there any reason I should pick a 92A1 over a M9A1 (or vice versa)?

LHS
01-23-11, 16:23
My grail is the 92G-SD as well. One of these days...

I still kick myself for not picking up a spare 92G Elite when I found one in a shop. Guy wanted $1K for it, but looking back, that was probably a reasonable price, and I could have probably talked him down a few bucks.

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 16:25
Now all you need is a Vertec!! :)

Nice collection, I too have a soft spot for Berettas.

I owned an Inox Vertec in 2003. I don't care for the grip, personally. And, there are no hogue grip panels for the Vertec either...

I'll never have 6 Berettas, but I've considered picking up a railed model 92 at some point. Is there any reason I should pick a 92A1 over a M9A1 (or vice versa)?

Well, the 92A1 is my fav of all of them, actually. It seems to be the most accurate out of them all, by just a hair.

But, you get a dovetailed front sight on the 92A1, instead of the front sight being built into the slide. The 92A1 also has a recoil buffer in the frame. And, while I love checkering on a 1911 - the checkering on the M9A1 isn't that deep. To me, the plain serrations give a better grip than that shallow checkering on the M9A1.

Visually, I like the looks of the M9A1 the best. But in my hand, the regular 9FS and the 92A1 feel better.

LRB45
01-23-11, 18:21
Very nice collection, SW. I've always liked the 92 series. Good guns.

I bought an Italian Beretta 92F Police trade-in years ago for $299. It came with 3 mags, Safariland mag holder and Safariland 070 holster. I ended up selling it and I kick myself daily for my bonehead mistake. That is one gun that I wish I could have back. :(

Yeah I know the feeling, had a 92FS and had to sell it for financial reasons, sure do miss that one. Maybe someday I'll pick up another!

CLHC
01-23-11, 18:27
Hey ShipWreck! No Beretta.92FS.Centurion in your collection? Been wanting one of those for sometime now and hard to come by.

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 19:11
Hey ShipWreck! No Beretta.92FS.Centurion in your collection? Been wanting one of those for sometime now and hard to come by.

Well, I only buy new guns, so it makes it harder to come across something like that.

Beretta MAY be importing the compact model again. If I can come across one, I may even buy 2 of them.

viperpit7
01-23-11, 19:19
im thinkin about buying a 40 cal beretta form my buddy for about $450 bucks, ive never owned a beretta, and im still lookin into it. ever had any probs with ur guns?

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 19:21
im thinkin about buying a 40 cal beretta form my buddy for about $450 bucks, ive never owned a beretta, and im still lookin into it. ever had any probs with ur guns?

No, they all work 100%. I do not keep a gun that causes me an issue. I buy and sell a lot because I get bored with stuff. But honestly, I have had very few problem guns of any make/model over the years.

abn45bravo
01-23-11, 22:07
What modifications to your m9's do you do shipwreck? What do they impove?
Also do you have the beretta as your prime fighting handgun? If so why?
I always saw it as an over weight outdated design. I am in the army and in a unit were we use are beretta's hard and ours seem to break alot. I am looking for some insight because I was thinking it would be nice to carry the same pistol for work as I do the rest of the time(and I get free mag's).

Redhat
01-23-11, 22:18
I always saw it as an over weight outdated design. I am in the army and in a unit were we use are beretta's hard and ours seem to break alot. I am looking for some insight because I was thinking it would be nice to carry the same pistol for work as I do the rest of the time(and I get free mag's).

If you don't mind me asking, what parts are breaking a lot?

Thanks

bigghoss
01-23-11, 22:27
Nice, really like my two 92FS pistols. Really wish they would release some type of 92FS variant with a frame mounted safety again.

I would love it if they moved the safety down on the frame where it belongs and gave it the option of cocked and locked carry. I have to carry a beretta every day at work and it's a good gun but the way the safety is is a deal breaker for me if I were given a choice.

CLHC
01-23-11, 22:29
"You're not a SEAL, 'till you've eaten Italian steel." -- Anonymous

I've read a book that was published some years ago on the Beretta that was quite exhaustively technical in its nature. Now I cannot recall the title of the book. But here's an interesting "history" if you will, that I found on the Information Super Highway (it may be dated):

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/true_story_m9.htm

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 22:32

I am on all the major gun forums and have been for years. Also admined a couple. So, I've seen tons of posts over the years. I have read stories of guys who claim that the military 92s are just beat to hell. Stories of seeing army guys using them as hammers, etc.

A military guy last week posted that his entire 92FS was rebuilt with new parts, and it was an amazingly different gun. he loved it. I think that many of the ones the guys in the military use are just beat to hell and have not been treated that well.

Also - in the past, the military bought cheap, aftermarket mags. They did notw ork very well. It is my understanding that the mags are still aftermarket, buts ome changes have been made and they work much better. But, supposedly, many of the old mags are still out there (this is all stuff I have been told).

I do know (from being on the Beretta Forum for years), that many military guys bring their own factory mags with them on deployment - to increase reliability of their M9s...

What do I change? Well, the biggest thing you can change is to add a "D" spring. It lowers the DA and SA pull substantially. ON my main carry weapon - a 92FS, the DA pull went from about 11 and a 1/2 pounds to 8lbs 3 oz. The single action pull went from 5lbs 8oz to 4lbs 10oz.

So, that can make a big difference.

Other changes I make are typically cosmetic - like changing the hammer to a skeletonized hammer. Sometimes swapping some polymer parts for metal ones - although I do not worry about this much anymore.

And yea, I carry my 92Fs as my daily concealed carry gun. I ahve changed carry weapons a few times since I got my CHL in 1996. But I was carrying a USPc 45 for about a year, and one day I compared it to my 92FS - the grip was almost the same length... I figured, why not try it - try to conceal it.

So, I got a comptac holster, and it works great. I feel strange when I DON'T have it on. I have carried it for 14 months straight now - even all thru the summer. I am not a big guy either (180lbs 6'1").

I can onlyc onceal it at the 3 o'clock position, though.

And, I did have to get NP3 covered grip screws. CDNN sometimes has these ins tock. Grip screws and the mag release are the 2 most common pieces of the gun that can rust. The mag releases are now polymer, so that is not an issue. but, I kept rusting1 grip screw when I was carrying the gun in hot weather. With the Np3 covered grip screws - it's a non issue now.

I actually bought an HK P2000 9mm to be my summer carry gun back in April 2010. After I got the NO3 covered grip screws and had no rusting issues anymore, I just stuck with the 92FS. I rarely even shoot my P2000 now...

Here is my setup:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Carrygear2.jpg

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 22:34
"You're not a SEAL, 'till you've eaten Italian steel." -- Anonymous

I've read a book that was published some years ago on the Beretta that was quite exhaustively technical in its nature. Now I cannot recall the title of the book. But here's an interesting "history" if you will, that I found on the Information Super Highway (it may be dated):

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/true_story_m9.htm

I would point out that this is hosted on a 1911 forum... So, there is that..

I don't have the links handy, but there are numerous "real story" sites out there. The "real story" seems to vary from website to website. Some have a more favorable perspective of the 92 than that page.

The whole cracked slide deal was a LOOONG time ago, and effected only a very limited # of guns. The M9 haters always fall back on this, and many people today worry about the issue needlessly... I see it come up all the time by newbies asking about a 92 and what they "heard."

Redhat
01-23-11, 22:39
Shipwreck,

I'll add that the barrels on the M9 are prone to rust...in as little as a day in high humidity or rain.

CLHC
01-23-11, 22:39
ShipWreck! Just curious here. Where did you happen[stance] on the skeletonized hammer for your Beretta? That was something I was looking for when I did have my 92FS and 90-Two.

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 22:49
ShipWreck! Just curious here. Where did you happen[stance] on the skeletonized hammer for your Beretta? That was something I was looking for when I did have my 92FS and 90-Two.

I bought it froma member at the Beretta Forum.

However, Dave Olhasso sells them, and I just ordered one from his site yesterday, in fact.

I had bought one at Brownells a couple of months ago. And, I installed it yesterday. Then I noticed that it was an Elite I skeleton hammer. I want an Elite II skeleton hammer.

The Elite II hammer is skeletonized, but is the same weight as the factory hammer. In 3000 rounds, I have had zero misfires.

The Elite I hammer is lighter. And with a "D" spring can apparently cause problems. So, I ordered the new Elite II hammer and sold the Elite 1 hammer yesterday at the Beretta Forum. When it comes in, I'll put one into my new 92FS I just bought...

Anyway - Dave's site is here: http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm

ShipWreck
01-23-11, 22:51
Shipwreck,

I'll add that the barrels on the M9 are prone to rust...in as little as a day in high humidity or rain.

Interesting. They are chrome lined on the 92 models, and on the M9s as well (as far as I know). I haven't really seen anyone complaining about that before. People complain about things concerning the 92 just like they do with all other gun companies and models - but first I've heard of that.

I've owned a few other 92s since the 1990s (which I no longer have), and I never had rusting as a problem. Their finish scratches SUPER easily, but generally gives good protection against rusting in my experience.

But, I'll admit that I don't know everything.

Redhat
01-23-11, 22:54
Interesting. They are chrome lined on the 92 models, and on the M9s as well (as far as I know). I haven't really seen anyone complaining about that before. People complain about things concerning the 92 just like they do with all other gun companies and models - but first I've heard of that.

I've owned a few other 92s since the 1990s (which I no longer have), and I never had rusting as a problem. Their finish scratches SUPER easily, but generally gives good protection against rusting in my experience.

But, I'll admit that I don't know everything.

To clarify,

I was referring to the external portion of the barrel not the bore.

abn45bravo
01-23-11, 23:21
If you don't mind me asking, what parts are breaking a lot?

Thanks
Well cracking slides, broken locking blocks by the bag full although not as much lately since we went to the gen 5 locking block, safeties, and trigger bar springs.
On a side note has anyone done the 2000rd test on a Beretta yet?

Redhat
01-23-11, 23:35
Well cracking slides, broken locking blocks by the bag full although not as much lately since we went to the gen 5 locking block, safeties, and trigger bar springs.
On a side note has anyone done the 2000rd test on a Beretta yet?

Sounds like recoil springs may need to be checked more often?

abn45bravo
01-23-11, 23:41
Redhat for whitch problem?

ShipWreck
01-24-11, 06:26
To clarify,

ah, ok.

Well, I've carried my 92FS for 14 months now (thru the summer). Only thing I had rust were grip screws - but with NP3 covered grip screws on it now, that's gone away.

John_Wayne777
01-24-11, 08:37
What, no Elite model Berettas?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0501.jpg

ShipWreck
01-24-11, 08:52

Hell, I want one, but they are no longer made. And, I don't like buying used guns, personally. I will continue to buy whatever variants they release new in the future, though...

Alex F
01-24-11, 09:14
Looks like you need a 92S :)

I used to have one, it's a 92FS with the mag release at the bottom of the grip.

ShipWreck
01-24-11, 09:18
Looks like you need a 92S :)

I used to have one, it's a 92FS with the mag release at the bottom of the grip.

Yea, you don't see those much anymore. Finding mags is tough too. I'm just collecting current production guns, though.

Cobra66
01-24-11, 10:11

What kind of holster do you use with the frame rail mounted?

LHS
01-24-11, 23:16
I really love my Elite. It was a great gun to start with, but then Ernest Langdon worked some magic on it, and it's now a work of art.

I have a hard enough time finding holsters for it, I can't imagine trying to find one for the gun with the bolt-on Surefire rail. You'd pretty much have to physically bring the gun to a Kydex holster maker and have him custom-build a rig for you.

My next Beretta project will be to have the muzzle of my Beretta factory 92 .22 conversion unit threaded for a P-22 thread adapter so I can use it as a host gun for my Outback.

BBossman
01-26-11, 08:06

Happy now?...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/IMAG0012-1.jpg

HeavyDuty
01-26-11, 08:12
Well, there is the Vertec model - the backstrap isn't as fat (front to back). I have small hands, but the 92FS fits me perfectly - but only with hogue grip panels. The plastic grips are too slippery, and the wrap around hogues with the finger grooves make the grip too fat.

The more recent 92s with the curved backstrap have a slight radius at the top of the backstrap. That moves your hand just a tiny bit closer to the trigger. The old style, straight dustcover frame (and the M9) do not have this. Even thought it is a very slight change, it is enough to make a huge difference to me...

Update: I was able to handle two 92s the other night, one early and one later with the ergonomic changes you pointed out. Big difference! I'm surprised by how much such seemingly small changes affected the feel.

I'll definitely keep a 92 in the running.

ShipWreck
01-26-11, 10:58
Update: I was able to handle two 92s the other night, one early and one later with the ergonomic changes you pointed out. Big difference! I'm surprised by how much such seemingly small changes affected the feel.

I'll definitely keep a 92 in the running.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

ShipWreck
01-26-11, 19:46
Well, I snuck off to the range right before they closed and put 150 rounds thru it quickly. Great gun - worked 100% :)

Denali
01-26-11, 20:21

:confused: 92FS/M9 barrels are chrome lined, I've never seen one rust, though I guess anything is possible.

Denali
01-26-11, 20:25
To clarify,

In a 24-hour day? I've been around Beretta 92's a long time, I've never even heard of this, though once again, anything is possible. If the parkerizing was inadequate, damaged, ect...

Eddiesketti
01-26-11, 20:26
You are a Connoisseur.

I just got the M9a1. I had to wait two months as it was on backorder. That was fine too. I would rather Beretta fill the Marines hands with them then mine.

blackgt85
01-27-11, 03:02
Nothing wrong with having "too many" Berettas! I love my M9A1. Ever since I first shot a buddies 92FS, I wanted one of my own. Now, I want one of every variation. My next will be a 96A1. After that, probably a 92FS INOX. I WILL have one of each someday........ lol. Nice collection btw. I'm jealous!

Justin