PDA

View Full Version : Military going to replace the M4?

iraqbound
01-22-11, 18:28
I have followed the replacement testing for the service rifle but in the past year its went pretty quiet. I do know a friend thats Army Special Forces has been using a Scar for some time now so that says they have agreed the Scar is Military worthy so why not change. The troops need a Piston driven gun especially in that sandbox over there and its better in every way so why not. Myself I have just read about and watched several tests of the Sig 516 and it passed tests that I have onky seen done to one other weapon and not blow up and that other weapon was a HK 416. Also there was a XM or somehting like that but I have heard notihing in months. Anyone hear anything. I have heard the FNH FNP 45. is getting a nod to replace the 92F but there is a problem with costs so the deal is in the air. I like the Glock personally but the FNH handgun is the best of the best! Anyhting FNH is the best!!! What about a ACR for the Troops?

jklaughrey
01-22-11, 18:39
:no::no::no:

Stickman
01-22-11, 18:46
I have followed the replacement testing for the service rifle but in the past year its went pretty quiet. I do know a friend thats Army Special Forces has been using a Scar for some time now so that says they have agreed the Scar is Military worthy so why not change. The troops need a Piston driven gun especially in that sandbox over there and its better in every way so why not. Myself I have just read about and watched several tests of the Sig 516 and it passed tests that I have onky seen done to one other weapon and not blow up and that other weapon was a HK 416. Also there was a XM or somehting like that but I have heard notihing in months. Anyone hear anything. I have heard the FNH FNP 45. is getting a nod to replace the 92F but there is a problem with costs so the deal is in the air. I like the Glock personally but the FNH handgun is the best of the best! Anyhting FNH is the best!!! What about a ACR for the Troops?

Welcome to the board. Where are you getting your information from....?

outrider627
01-22-11, 18:58
The M4 is not getting replaced any time soon. The AR platform is the best 5.56 weapon out there because of its lengthy time in service. A lot of replacement and custom parts already in the system means any unit can outfit an M4/M16 however they want. The Mk 16 SCAR is being abandoned by SOCOM. They figured out the SCAR wasn't that much better than a properly set up M4. The Mk 17 on the other hand, is filling a role in the long distance fights in Afghanistan. As for the ACR, its currently an untested video game rifle with a lot negativity surrounding it.

The AR platform is here to stay until someone develops a new caliber that is leaps and bounds better than 5.56 IMO. People shit on the AR because of misconceptions, half truths, and junk rifles built by kitchen table gunsmiths or low end companies.

Torsion
01-22-11, 19:10
Even if they find a suitable replacement, where's the money gonna come from? Especially with the broad spending cuts congress is talking about.

Artiz
01-22-11, 19:15
The M4 is not getting replaced any time soon. The AR platform is the best 5.56 weapon out there because of its lengthy time in service. A lot of replacement and custom parts already in the system means any unit can outfit an M4/M16 however they want. The Mk 16 SCAR is being abandoned by SOCOM. They figured out the SCAR wasn't that much better than a properly set up M4. The Mk 17 on the other hand, is filling a role in the long distance fights in Afghanistan. As for the ACR, its currently an untested video game rifle with a lot negativity surrounding it.

The AR platform is here to stay until someone develops a new caliber that is leaps and bounds better than 5.56 IMO. People shit on the AR because of misconceptions, half truths, and junk rifles built by kitchen table gunsmiths or low end companies.

This.

fhpchris
01-22-11, 19:18
I could be wrong, but a new M4 carbine competition is going on right now...

What would be so bad if the M4 was replaced by the KAC SR-15?:haha:

It doesn't have to be a bad thing guys!

MCS
01-22-11, 19:22
Even if they find a suitable replacement, where's the money gonna come from? Especially with the broad spending cuts congress is talking about.

:big_boss: This administration isn't the one to fund any big weapons changes, but I could be wrong.

jklaughrey
01-22-11, 19:22
It is isn't bad. What is bad is a tenderfoot spouting rumor and half truths. It just perpetuates the bullshit we hear on TOS. Not needed here.

"Just the facts ma'am, just the facts"

Abraxas
01-22-11, 19:28

The AR platform is here to stay until someone develops a new caliber that is leaps and bounds better than 5.56 IMO. People shit on the AR because of misconceptions, half truths, and junk rifles built by kitchen table gunsmiths or low end companies.Most accurate post on this thread. Dont know where you are getting you info but I would look elsewhere.

Littlelebowski
01-22-11, 19:36
You really need to stop talking. Read. Listen. Speak from firsthand experience. I imagine this thread will be fixed soon.

usmcvet
01-22-11, 19:38
Stop using big words Doc! I had to pull out my dictionary. :haha:

I think the M4's will be around for a while. It works.