PDA

View Full Version : XD Question?

Dragun
01-22-11, 21:26
I've been going over some of the old threads and I'm curious to know what the part failures are on the xd? From a Glock guy.

Rmplstlskn
01-22-11, 21:30
I personally have never had a parts failure, nor a malfunction of any kind, owning several XD's and XDM's.

Lots of torture tests too, with nothing except some reports of a roll pin that might sheer, and a stronger roll pin is available for a few bucks...

If one is a reloader, the Glock brass buldge could sway me to the XD...

Rmpl

F-Trooper05
01-22-11, 21:45
The striker retainer pin is one of the more common parts breakages. That, and your man card.

SpookyPistolero
01-22-11, 22:15
The extractor on mine crapped out.

chilic82
01-22-11, 22:50
The extractor on mine crapped out.
Do you know how many rounds? What exactly "crapped out"?

chilic82
01-22-11, 22:51
The striker retainer pin is one of the more common parts breakages. That, and your man card.

The replacement part seems quite large. Anyone know how they hold up?

Lucky Strike
01-23-11, 20:17
The replacement part seems quite large. Anyone know how they hold up?

I've never read of anyone that's had one of the replacement pins break.

SpookyPistolero
01-23-11, 20:52
Do you know how many rounds? What exactly "crapped out"?

Less than 1000 rounds. When used during more than just slow, casual target shooting it would begin to fail to yank empty brass from the chamber. I can only speak to the mechanical failure with other non-mechanical causes ruled out. Past that, I don't really care what caused the malfunction, so I traded it.

Joeywhat
01-23-11, 22:00
I had three XD's at one point, all had the striker retainer pin drift out on it's own.

All three also had assorted, seemingly random failures pretty often (few per 1000 rounds). The 45 compact just didn't like a lot of JHP ammo and wouldn't feed it, my 9 subcompact would have feed issues that felt like a tight chamber...may have been an extractor issue. Didn't shoot the .40 enough to find anything wrong with it.

That and it's incredibly top heavy, didn't care for the recoil with with it. And I hate grip safeties.

poirierpro
01-23-11, 22:15
I have an XDm 9mm and I have had very few malfunctions. That being said I was at the range today shooting and the guy a few stalls down from me had a M&P 9 FS he was renting. I asked if I could run a quick mag through.

All I can say is WOW...the difference in recoil was like a .40 subcompact vs. a .22! Very SMOOTH recoil. I'd now like to try it in a 40/45.

I think I'll sell my XDm...

Packman73
03-21-11, 20:07
I've had or have a XD9 4", XD40 3", XD9 3", XD45 4", and XDm9 3.8". Lots and lots of rounds though all of them except the XDm as it is fairly new. Never had any failures of any kind whatsoever. Pretty boring.

03-21-11, 20:35
Striker retaining pin.. With that said, I've owned a few XD9, XD40, XD45 stock and modified and use to compete with a local XD shooting club. It was a combo of IDPA and USPSA style shooting so the round count was high. Never had a parts related malfunction or breakage after thousands of rounds. YMMV.
FWIW, I don't own anymore XD's.

ukhayes
03-21-11, 21:04

If you believe a brand of firearm makes or breaks your "man card", you have already lost yours.

Packman73
03-21-11, 23:03
If you believe a brand of firearm makes or breaks your "man card", you have already lost yours.

Lol, no doubt.

ChicagoTex
03-22-11, 00:17
Extractor failed on my XD40 at around the 300 round mark. Which, coincidentally, was about all I could tolerate anyway with the damn trigger pinching me on nearly every shot when I wasn't shooting with gloves.

On a random note, the XD platform is by far the hardest to rack of any semi-auto I've encountered, I attribute this to it's idiotically tuned dual captive recoil spring set up.

I have no idea if XDms are any better as, at this point, you couldn't give me a Croatian Springfield unless I was allowed to immediately sell it and buy something that wasn't crap.

VelveteenMole
03-22-11, 04:10
Striker retaining pin broke in my XD9, also had issues with failures to feed possibly linked to wedging of the recoil spring between the side of the hole in the slide and the guide rod making it drag during cycle. Got rid of it. This was back in 2003.

streck
03-22-11, 10:57
3k+ rounds through my XD9 service size with no failures.

Every manufacturer has some issues.

BCmJUnKie
03-22-11, 11:12
Close to 2,500 rounds, Steel case is the only thing that has cycling problems, when its dry.

rubberneck
03-22-11, 11:28
The striker retaining pin breakage is caused by dry firing without a snap cap. Replacement roll pins are very cheap and very easy to replace. Every 1000 rounds the old one came out and a new one went in. Probably overkill but as I said the cost is so minimal that it didn't make sense not to do it. I shot an XD9 tactical exclusively for two full years in IDPA and two 1500 round training classes without an issue. Not one FTF or FTE. I keep hearing about how their crap but that wasn't my experience with the gun. In fact I have had more issues with the M&P's than I ever did with an XD.

I have no idea how the new XDM's are doing and sometimes I wonder if people's attitudes towards the XD's have to do with Springfield jacking up the prices after rebranding it under their name. With the amount of money they poured into advertising that gun the price increase was understandable.

sammage
03-22-11, 11:45
Saw a failure first hand with an XD9 SC, front lug on the barrel snapped off halfway though a magazine. Was fun to take apart, glad it wasn't mine.

BCmJUnKie
03-22-11, 12:08
The striker retaining pin breakage is caused by dry firing without a snap cap. Replacement roll pins are very cheap and very easy to replace. Every 1000 rounds the old one came out and a new one went in. Probably overkill but as I said the cost is so minimal that it didn't make sense not to do it. I shot an XD9 tactical exclusively for two full years in IDPA and two 1500 round training classes without an issue. Not one FTF or FTE. I keep hearing about how their crap but that wasn't my experience with the gun. In fact I have had more issues with the M&P's than I ever did with an XD.

I have no idea how the new XDM's are doing and sometimes I wonder if people's attitudes towards the XD's have to do with Springfield jacking up the prices after rebranding it under their name. With the amount of money they poured into advertising that gun the price increase was understandable.

Thats awesome. I really like mine also. No problems. Mine is so old the finish is almost all gone on the front of the slide and in other spots. The XD is a tank.

Littlelebowski
03-22-11, 12:11

No, you lose your man card if you fail to recognize humor :D

Littlelebowski
03-22-11, 12:16

No, it's failures and design flaws (grip safety and LCI). Even at Springfield prices, the guns aren't that expensive.