PDA

View Full Version : Vltor A5 stock question

handyandy
01-22-11, 22:05
So I have all of the A5 parts and I am trying to decide if I should put it on my KAC SR-15, or my favorite 14.5"er which has a DD HF barrel on it. I am leaning towards the DD. Right now, the DD works well with an H buffer and a Sprinco blue (STD) spring when shooting Brown Bear ammo. I am thinking that using the spring that came with the kit I'll end up with either the 5 or 6 oz. buffer, I can't see needing the 7 oz. Is any using the 7 oz. buffer? if so, for what ammo?

Evil Bert
01-23-11, 20:24
Honestly, I think you are the only one that can answer that question. That is like asking people here what color you should paint your walls. It really is up to you. But if it were me, which I am thinking the same thing about my guns, is the SR15 shoots relatively softer than most others. The DD Carbine (I assume) would likely benefit the most from the A5. Try it out on the DD first. If you like it, then buy another and put it on the SR15 with a 5oz.

What buffer does the A5 come with? Do you have to buy the different weights in addition to the kit?

outrider627
01-23-11, 20:36
I believe the standard A5 kit buffer is the 5oz, the 6oz and 7oz are sold separately. I don't think you'll need the 7oz, it was made for over gassed carbines.

Here's 87GN's review video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njaLucvpEV0

Robb Jensen
01-23-11, 20:56
So I have all of the A5 parts and I am trying to decide if I should put it on my KAC SR-15, or my favorite 14.5"er which has a DD HF barrel on it. I am leaning towards the DD. Right now, the DD works well with an H buffer and a Sprinco blue (STD) spring when shooting Brown Bear ammo. I am thinking that using the spring that came with the kit I'll end up with either the 5 or 6 oz. buffer, I can't see needing the 7 oz. Is any using the 7 oz. buffer? if so, for what ammo?

It's work great with either rifle. I'd recommend the 5oz buffer and a standard rate A2 rifle spring. My KAC SR15E3 now has the A5 system and with the 5oz buffer and the KAC Triple Tap. Actually shoots softer than my dedicated 3gun rifle which has the same A5 buffer system and a Surefire brake. The KAC has a tiny bit more muzzle lift but the actual push to the shoulder is softer!

My KAC SR15E3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/IMG_7994.jpg

My 3gun rifle, 16" BCM chrome-lined midlength, Lancer lower
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3gunrifle-3.jpg

blake-b
01-24-11, 00:14
I have the A5 on my MRP and have shot it with both the 5oz and 6oz buffers. I can't tell a difference. I'll have another go at it this week.

87GN
01-24-11, 12:07
The standard A5 buffer works with absolutely everything. A5H3 seems to as well. A5H4 might have minor problems with softer/lighter-gassed weapons (1 failure to lock to the rear in 4 months of shooting). But it is designed for weapons cycling at 900+ RPM (HK416), not for 14.5" midlengths, etc.

Here is my updated video.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2011/01/24/vltor-a5-stock-system-followup/

vicious_cb
02-09-11, 23:39
The standard A5 buffer works with absolutely everything. A5H3 seems to as well. A5H4 might have minor problems with softer/lighter-gassed weapons (1 failure to lock to the rear in 4 months of shooting). But it is designed for weapons cycling at 900+ RPM (HK416), not for 14.5" midlengths, etc.

Here is my updated video.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2011/01/24/vltor-a5-stock-system-followup/

I plan on using the A5H3 buffer in the Vltor A5 system on a "universal", are there any gas system lengths that would have a problem with this set up like for instance a 14.5" midlength?

M90A1
02-10-11, 10:21
I plan on using the A5H3 buffer in the Vltor A5 system on a "universal", are there any gas system lengths that would have a problem with this set up like for instance a 14.5" midlength?

I have used the A5 std. buffer on an AR with a DD 14.5" middie barrel, fitted with a BC 1.5 and it feels like a .22. With this 5 oz. buffer, it performed perfectly with PMC Bronze, Win. white box 55gr. 5.56, Fed. XM193, g.i. M855, and MK262 MOD 1. I would think it might perform equally as well with the 6 oz. buffer, but I'd want to make sure with some of the softer .223 loadings. I don't shoot any of the various Russian ammos, so have no idea how the A5 system would work with those.

vicious_cb
02-10-11, 21:25
I have used the A5 std. buffer on an AR with a DD 14.5" middie barrel, fitted with a BC 1.5 and it feels like a .22. With this 5 oz. buffer, it performed perfectly with PMC Bronze, Win. white box 55gr. 5.56, Fed. XM193, g.i. M855, and MK262 MOD 1. I would think it might perform equally as well with the 6 oz. buffer, but I'd want to make sure with some of the softer .223 loadings. I don't shoot any of the various Russian ammos, so have no idea how the A5 system would work with those.

I tend not to shoot any steel cased ammo.

benw315
02-12-11, 19:12
Have those of you with the a5 generally had good luck with underpowered ammo such as wolf? Coyote hunting and plinking doesnt require anything much better.

GermanSynergy
02-12-11, 19:52
FWIW I have an A5 RE on my SR15E3 w/ BattleComp 1.0 and it's the softest shooting 5.56mm weapons platform I've ever used.

I'd say it's worth it. :D

CoryCop25
06-16-12, 12:21
I know that this is an old post but I am looking for some advice on the A5 buffers. I am running an A5 receiver extension with standard buffer and a rifle spring on my 12.5" M16. This weapon runs suppressed 98% of the time and on semi auto 95% of the time. The rifle runs perfect and there is a noticeable increase in the rate of fire with the suppressor attached. I can barely make out the individual rounds fired and I can not tell how many rounds are being fired in each burst. The rifle is by no means uncontrollable but should I use a heavier buffer or leave it alone as it is 100% reliable?

Iraqgunz
06-16-12, 16:09
My 12.5" and 11.5" both run 100% with the H4 buffer and green Springco spring. With the suppressor attached you will notice an increase of the cyclic rate, that's normal.

I know that this is an old post but I am looking for some advice on the A5 buffers. I am running an A5 receiver extension with standard buffer and a rifle spring on my 12.5" M16. This weapon runs suppressed 98% of the time and on semi auto 95% of the time. The rifle runs perfect and there is a noticeable increase in the rate of fire with the suppressor attached. I can barely make out the individual rounds fired and I can not tell how many rounds are being fired in each burst. The rifle is by no means uncontrollable but should I use a heavier buffer or leave it alone as it is 100% reliable?

CoryCop25
06-16-12, 20:42
Thanks IG, I will try the different buffers out.

LtNovakUSA
06-19-12, 16:40
Ive run my Noveske Lo-Pro CHF 14.5 middy with the A5 Std buffer and its run great with M855, Mk 262 Clone Loads, and Steel Case Wolf. I have about 1.5K rounds through it with the A5 setup, mostly M855, but about 200 rounds of that was Wolf, just to see how it would go. Cycled well and always locked the bolt back. Really soft shooting as well, its a great setup

GrumpyM4
06-19-12, 18:02
For what it's worth, my A5 buffer weighted in at 5.5 oz.

BufordTJustice
06-20-12, 02:46
My BCM 14.5" middy w/ an NiB carrier (and LMT bolt) runs using a std Colt spring and the A5H4 buffer (7oz). I experimented with the Springco Green spring using the H4 buffer and, while it was 100% reliable, I began to experience some muzzle-dip on counter-recoil from the stronger spring. I have returned to the Colt A2 rifle spring, but will be experimenting with the Tubbs Flat wire in the next few weeks just for shits and giggles (okay, and to silence a buddy who keeps bitching at me to "just try it"). I doubt it will be much different than the Springco Green, tho.

*knock on wood*

Using the Colt A2 rifle spring (it feels slightly stronger than the Vltor spring) and the Springco Green, it has not had one single malfunction while running on this setup. This includes Tula 55gr steel case, frangible ammo, Wolf 55gr, PMC 55gr, Federal M193, and Federal T556TNB1 (Mk318 62gr).

My Wife is running a PSA 14.7" middy with a CHF FN barrel (and perm'd A2) and a phosphated carrier with the 4 bearing flats lightly polished with some flitz, a shop rag, and some elbow grease. She runs a Springco Green and an A5H3 (6.3oz) buffer. Same ammo as above and she has only had two malfunctions, attributable to the same PMAG.

vicious_cb
06-20-12, 03:26
Have those of you with the a5 generally had good luck with underpowered ammo such as wolf? Coyote hunting and plinking doesnt require anything much better.

I tested my LMT 14.5" carbine length with A5H3 and a springco green, with tula it would just barely cycle and would fail the rifle equivalent of the "limp wrist test." I suspect with using a standard A5 buffer it would have cycled fine.

wellnerde
06-20-12, 22:00
What stocks are compatible with the A5? Will the stock weight also affect the felt recoil, i.e. CTR vs ACS?

Col_Crocs
06-20-12, 22:06
Any milspec stock will work. Shorter ones like the Imod, CTR, MOE etc. just wont collapse all the way.

HKoolaid
07-26-12, 17:03
I know vltor is known for their high quality but has anyone seen in writing what the receiver extension is made out of? Can we presume that it's 7075T6?

BufordTJustice
07-26-12, 18:56
I know vltor is known for their high quality but has anyone seen in writing what the receiver extension is made out of? Can we presume that it's 7075T6?

I see no reason that only this is made properly:

http://www.vltorstore.com/products/RE%252d1%3A-AR15-Receiver-Extension.html (http://www.vltorstore.com/products/RE%252d1%3A-AR15-Receiver-Extension.html)

"Product Description

The Vltor RE-1 Receiver Extension tube for M4 and CAR15 series of carbines. The RE-1 is constructed from impact extruded 7075-T6 aluminum and meets all requirements of the military specification. We are sure that the RE-1 is the best receiver extension tube on the market."