PDA

View Full Version : Noob cleaning question- Slip 2000 EWL

Jellybean
01-22-11, 23:35
So I got myself some of the Slip 2000 EWL to try out with my firearms. I was reading the back of the label to determine how to use it, and ended up with a couple questions-

Towards the end of the directions it says 'Slip 2000 lubricant should be used as the cleaner for next cleaning. For excessively dirty parts use Slip 2000 725 cleaner/degreaser...."

So I can use a lubricant as a solvent to clean my rifle? :confused:
Or is this just one of those things all companies do to get you to use "only" their product?:D

Will there be any adverse issues if I use another type of cleaner along with the S2000 for lube? Currently using Hoppes as solvent, as it's readily available offline...

Detmongo
01-23-11, 10:36
Jelly.
you can use the slip to clean as a solvent but i think you are better off useing the hoppes to clean with and then lube w/ slip. i clean w/hopps. the lube with what ever lube i'm using at the time. i have cleaned gun w/ the clp type lubes in the past and it works ok, i'd rather use a cleaning solvent first.

GermanSynergy
01-25-11, 23:14
Get some Mpro-7 as a cleaner and use the EWL as a lube. I ditched the Hoppes about 4 years ago in favor of non toxic cleaners.

Belmont31R
01-25-11, 23:24
I clean with Carbon Cutter, and wash that 'cleaning' out with brake cleaner. Wipe with an oily rag, and then with a clean dry cloth. Use the bottle of oil to lube the BCG.

To me using oil as a cleaner just makes a big oily carbon fouled mess.

Jellybean
01-26-11, 09:55
Get some Mpro-7 as a cleaner and use the EWL as a lube. I ditched the Hoppes about 4 years ago in favor of non toxic cleaners.
After previous researching, I would switch to a better product as well. However, as I said earlier, I use the hoppes as it's readily available offline. Over 90% of the products used by people on this site I have never seen in any of the gun shops or sporting goods stores in my area. So I have to rely on internet orders (the only reason I even ended up with the EWL was because I threw it in to round out a mag order). And you know how asinine the shipping is these days. It just cost me $8.50 to ship 2 qd sling swivels- all of what, 2 ounces of metal? It cost me less to ship my mags! :mad:

I think a 'police' shop in my area had some Mpro product. But they're about 2 hours away...

I mean, ok- overall in the grand scheme of things, not huge issues- I make that 2 hour drive about once a month anyway. But still just a needless hassle.

To me using oil as a cleaner just makes a big oily carbon fouled mess.
That's what I thought.
Especially after I clean/lubed my rifle yesterday- it's much thicker than my previous oil.

shittercrewchief
01-28-11, 21:06
Go with the SLiP 2000 725 cleaner/degreaser next time you have a chance to buy a big bottle of it. It cleans great and is non toxic and no bad smells of other solvents.

Redhat
01-29-11, 15:23
My .02, use a cleaner to clean and a lube to lube. I stay away from products that claim to do both.

ra2bach
02-01-11, 07:53
Slip says to clean down to the metal the first time and then apply their lube which will embed the pores of the metal making it difficult for fouling to stick.

next time, use more lube to soften what gunk is there and then wipe down with clean rags which should remove it all and then apply more. their claim is that continuous application will coat the metal making it easier each time.

I think their idea is that light powder fouling is easily removed if it is kept wet and can be simply wiped away and I agree with that from what I have seen. brass in the bore requires a more serious cleaning but they claim that their products will retard build up of even that if you use their regimen. YMMV...

chadbag
02-03-11, 18:00
After previous researching, I would switch to a better product as well. However, as I said earlier, I use the hoppes as it's readily available offline. Over 90% of the products used by people on this site I have never seen in any of the gun shops or sporting goods stores in my area.

Here is a hint

M-Pro 7 == Hoppes Elite

Technically this is not true as the Hoppes Elite and M-Pro 7 gun cleaner are each slightly tweaked formulas but for you and me it is true. They are both made by Pantheon Chemical and are the same technology.

My local Wal-Mart sells Hoppes Elite in small containers. I have also seen Hoppes Elite (make sure it says ELITE on it) at various other places locally like Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas.

You can at least buy a small bottle or two locally and then order a Gallon online so that you can refill your small bottle...

spd707
02-20-11, 19:06
I only use Slip 2000 EWL as a lubricant. I would not use it as a solvent. Get the Slip 2000 cleaner or another bore solvent for cleaning.

Jellybean
02-21-11, 09:31
Here is a hint

M-Pro 7 == Hoppes Elite

Technically this is not true as the Hoppes Elite and M-Pro 7 gun cleaner are each slightly tweaked formulas but for you and me it is true. They are both made by Pantheon Chemical and are the same technology.

My local Wal-Mart sells Hoppes Elite in small containers. I have also seen Hoppes Elite (make sure it says ELITE on it) at various other places locally like Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas.

Now that's interesting.... :blink:

Go with the SLiP 2000 725 cleaner/degreaser next time you have a chance to buy a big bottle of it. It cleans great and is non toxic and no bad smells of other solvents.
I think I will- haven't tried the 'Elite' yet, but if it's anything like the usual Hoppes I want out- stuff smells up such a large area, and I'm not to keen about inhaling it.... a little extra shipping would probably be worth it.

chadbag
02-21-11, 09:50
Now that's interesting.... :blink:

I think I will- haven't tried the 'Elite' yet, but if it's anything like the usual Hoppes I want out- stuff smells up such a large area, and I'm not to keen about inhaling it.... a little extra shipping would probably be worth it.

Hoppes Elite is nothing like normal Hoppes gun cleaner. It is basically odorless and "non toxic" and is basically M-Pro 7. It has slightly more of the carbon cutter part and slightly less of the "barrel conditioning" part than m-Pro 7 and is marketed to sport shooters and competitive shooters while M-Pro 7 is marketed at .mil/Leo and hunters. But the differences are basically for marketing purposes for most people.

kmrtnsn
02-21-11, 10:26
A year or so ago a co-worker turned me on to Gunzilla as a non-toxic weapons cleaner. They advertise it as a lube also but I prefer Slip 2000 for that purpose. Anyway, I got a big bottle of it and have been pleased so far.

davehk
02-21-11, 21:43
Hoppes Elite and Mpro7 is the way to go. No smell at all.