PDA

View Full Version : New Trijicon HD pistol sights

RAM Engineer
01-23-11, 01:07
Looks like they are trying to prevent Ameriglo, 10-8, and Warren from eroding any more of their market share.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_90

F-Trooper05
01-23-11, 02:41
Supposedly they don't have any intentions of making a two dot over/under set, or of making any for HK's, so I'll have zero use for them (which sucks, because painting my front sight orange every few weeks gets old).

SWATcop556
01-23-11, 03:39
Meh, I'll stick with Warrens. Trijicon's QC has been a little spotty lately. Been seeing some tritium lamps fall out here and there.

Good to see they are at least trying to offer something they see as being in demand.

DasBulk
01-23-11, 08:28
I'll stick with AmeriGlo "Hacks".

M4arc
01-23-11, 08:39
I like them!

However, I'm sold on the Ameriglo/Hackathorn sights now and see no reason to change.

PPGMD
01-23-11, 08:43
Meh, I'll stick with Warrens. Trijicon's QC has been a little spotty lately. Been seeing some tritium lamps fall out here and there.

Good to see they are at least trying to offer something they see as being in demand.

IIRC Warrens use Trijicon lamps, and most companies that use Trijicon lamps have Trijicon do the lamp install. So if Trijicon's QC is lacking even Warrens will have issues.

My opinion, this would be good as a front sight for a Warren single dot rear. Assuming the Warren rear is wide enough.

JodyH
01-23-11, 08:58
Somebody needs to step up and make a set for H&K's

Entropy
01-23-11, 09:01
Since the last two sets of Trijicons that I've had have had the white around the vials errode out, I'll stick with Heinies. Looks like Trijicon still hasn't figured out the straight-eight concept either.

PPGMD
01-23-11, 09:27
Since the last two sets of Trijicons that I've had have had the white around the vials errode out, I'll stick with Heinies. Looks like Trijicon still hasn't figured out the straight-eight concept either.

Hiene sights use Trijicon tubes, at least as of the last set I handled.

Just pointing out that if Trijicon is going into the crapper then many other companies are going with it unless they change who installs their tubes. Almost all of the smaller sight companies use Trijicon for their tubes.

GLOCKMASTER
01-23-11, 09:42

Just pointing out that if Trijicon is going into the crapper then many other companies are going with it unless they change who installs their tubes. Almost all of the smaller sight companies use Trijicon for their tubes.

We have had a lot of trouble with the sights on our new M&P pistols, which are BTW Trijicons. The problems range from the sights being dead on arrival, rings falling out, tubes falling out to them slowly dying over several months. I have lost all faith in their products when it comes to their iron sights. Hopefully they can get back on track.

DasBulk
01-23-11, 09:55
I find it kinda funny that people are knocking Trijicon sights in favor of one company or another when in reality, a good majority of them use the same exact lamp. Even has the logo and what not on top. The lamps aren't what brought me to the Hackathorn sights, the arrangement did. Before them, I had Heinie Straight Eights. They had Trijicon lamps too.

B.K.
01-23-11, 10:03
I have a good luck with the Trijicons that I've purchased!

MTechnik
01-23-11, 10:17
I find it kinda funny that people are knocking Trijicon sights in favor of one company or another when in reality, a good majority of them use the same exact lamp. Even has the logo and what not on top. The lamps aren't what brought me to the Hackathorn sights, the arrangement did. Before them, I had Heinie Straight Eights. They had Trijicon lamps too.

I don't think the complaints I am reading are with the lamps themselves, but with fit/fitment such as the tubes falling out and the material surrounding the lamp. If the lamps are installed in a better quality sight, with a better material around it, it probably won't see the issues being reported. Which is why the others using trijicon tubes/lamps aren't having the same issues we're hearing about triji's own iron sights.

javentre
01-23-11, 10:29
Within 2 weeks of the tube falling out of my Warren front, GermanSynergy's fell out too. Both guns had approximately the same round count, 10K.

orionz06
01-23-11, 10:32
Within 2 weeks of the tube falling out of my Warren front, GermanSynergy's fell out too. Both guns had approximately the same round count, 10K.

Of the people I know with M&P's and Warren sights, all 5 front sights have had the tubes eject.

Entropy
01-23-11, 10:39

There is nothing wrong with the Trijicon vials from my experiences......its how they are mounted into the sights that has been a problem. Heinies seem to do the mounting correctly.

DasBulk
01-23-11, 10:50
It was my understanding that once the sight is machined, they are shipped to Trijicon for lamp installation. So IIRC, Trijicon mounts them.
I don't see how they would mount them in a hole any different from one sight to another... I mean, how many different ways can you epoxy it in?

Steve
01-23-11, 11:03
Trijicon had those sights almost 3 yrs ago, I ran a set of them on my MP in prototype then they got tabled for other projects and correct Trijicon does in deed supply most of the industry with there lamps etc...

News is this Old man sights have been around for years... in some form or fashion, I love Richards sights straight 8s are great

Entropy
01-23-11, 12:42
It was my understanding that once the sight is machined, they are shipped to Trijicon for lamp installation. So IIRC, Trijicon mounts them.
I don't see how they would mount them in a hole any different from one sight to another... I mean, how many different ways can you epoxy it in?

There is a difference. In Trijicon sights there is a white, rubber like material that is mounted around the vials. This material errodes over time and when exposed to solvents. In the Heinies, it appears to be some sort of aluminum alloy which from my experience doesn't come loose. I think Trijicon uses the white rubber as a shock absorber for the vials. I think more people have trouble with their vials burning out because they pound the hell out of them during installation. There's a reason why the armorer's warranty specifies the use of a plastic mallet and plastic punch to get it started(reduces shock to the vials), followed by a sight pusher.

newyork
01-23-11, 12:46
Has anyone had vials fall out on Warrens on a Glock19?

GLOCKMASTER
01-23-11, 12:52

I have of Warren sights on most of my Glocks and I have never had an issue with them.

newyork
01-23-11, 12:57
I have of Warren sights on most of my Glocks and I have never had an issue with them.

Good because my new G19 has a pair as well. Thanks J

PPGMD
01-23-11, 13:05
There is a difference. In Trijicon sights there is a white, rubber like material that is mounted around the vials. This material errodes over time and when exposed to solvents. In the Heinies, it appears to be some sort of aluminum alloy which from my experience doesn't come loose. I think Trijicon uses the white rubber as a shock absorber for the vials. I think more people have trouble with their vials burning out because they pound the hell out of them during installation. There's a reason why the armorer's warranty specifies the use of a plastic mallet and plastic punch to get it started(reduces shock to the vials), followed by a sight pusher.

It's true that the Hiene's lack the white ring, but I don't think it's rubber, other wise every Trijicon sight would have it. I think it's simply a painted ring in the sight housing not the silicon rubber gasket that Trijicon uses a shock absorber. The aluminum ring that you see around the Hiene is the standard aluminum that Trijicon puts around almost all of it's tritium tubes.

cathellsk
01-23-11, 13:32
For those of you wondering about the makeup of the Trijicon sights material, see here in numbers 6, 7, & 8.
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS

DasBulk
01-23-11, 14:14
Yeah. I was pretty sure the white ring was more of an applique to the blade itself than a supporting structure to the vial.
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Trijicon/nightsightTrij.jpg

Trvlngnrs
01-23-11, 16:07

I have about 1,500 round thru my G19/Warren Tactical Sevigny without a problem.

I had about 50 thru the Novak sights on my 9c before the white dot fell out (not tritium).

s0nspark
01-23-11, 17:44

Indeed!

eternal24k
01-23-11, 18:15
these look great,
but for the price the melonited Heinies have the edge. I do like the idea of not having to paint my front sight....
Might have to pick up a set for my Glock 21....

JHC
01-24-11, 06:24
Have had only good luck with Trijicon and Warren tritium sets on Glocks this last year (five sets). I'm going to try out a set of these. Ya never know till it gets to the shooting with them. Thanks for the link OP.

s0nspark
01-24-11, 06:58
I love the concept - been running the Ameriglo ProGlo front/Pro Operator yellow rear combo on my Glocks and M&Ps for a while now ... Although I am thrilled with Ameriglo's products and service, it is always nice to see another option out there :-)

Magic_Salad0892
01-24-11, 07:25
IMO. I prefer Meprolights over Trijicon.

Call me crazy. :|

I like them better.

Entropy
01-24-11, 08:05
IMO. I prefer Meprolights over Trijicon.

Call me crazy. :|

I like them better.

......crazy bastard ;)

John_Wayne777
01-24-11, 08:39

The tritium vials on Warren sights are installed by Trijicon...and Trijicon went through a period where they had lots of issues. A number of different brands of sights had the exact same issue with the tritium vials coming out of the sights.

ColdDeadHands
01-24-11, 09:05

ditto!

Ed L.
01-24-11, 11:55
Can anyone tell me how wide the rear sight notch is and how wide the front sight is?

thanks!

98z28
01-24-11, 15:41
Can anyone tell me how wide the rear sight notch is and how wide the front sight is?

thanks!

Just sent an email to Trijicon asking the same info. I'll post it here when I get a reply.

I love the concept. I used the Ameriglo ProGlo orange/green front with Bowie Operator yellow rear on my M&P's for a while. The bright front sight is fast up close, but it is just a bit too wide for distance work (for me). I have switched back to Warrens for now. Fingers crossed that Trijicon has a skinnier front.

Magic_Salad0892
01-24-11, 21:35
Between AmeriGlo I-Dot, and Warren Sevegny Carry Sights (2-Dot) I've not had any fall out.

FishingFool
01-25-11, 10:11
Aside from the luminous paint, is the front sight vial larger than the rear sight vial?

98z28
01-25-11, 10:25
From Trijicon: "The front blade width of the GL101Y is .144” wide and the rear notch width is .169” wide."

That's for the Glock version of the sights. I ASSume it is the same for other variants. That's not a lot of daylight around the front blade. Oh well.

s0nspark
01-25-11, 10:45
From Trijicon: "The front blade width of the GL101Y is .144” wide and the rear notch width is .169” wide."

That's for the Glock version of the sights. I ASSume it is the same for other variants. That's not a lot of daylight around the front blade. Oh well.

IIRC, Ameriglo's ProGlo is .140 and the Pro Operator notch is .180... and that ratio seems to work well for my old eyes.

I'd love to see the ProGlo slimmed down a bit for more accuracy at distance but that may not be feasible or even practical given their intended purpose...

JHC
01-25-11, 11:09

Whoa, that's a fat front. I think I have to try these out.

DasBulk
01-26-11, 04:58
IIRC, Ameriglo's ProGlo is .140 and the Pro Operator notch is .180... and that ratio seems to work well for my old eyes.

I'd love to see the ProGlo slimmed down a bit for more accuracy at distance but that may not be feasible or even practical given their intended purpose... close enough.

My proglo front is:
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9522/img0710ud.jpg
Not sure about the operator notch, but mine is:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8459/img0707q.jpg

Dave G
01-26-11, 13:20

Yeah front sight tube fell out of my brand new gun. What's up with that???

doughnut
01-26-11, 13:40
I'm excited about The Trijicon HDs because due to agency mandate my weapon is a Sig and as of now Ameriglo doesn't make the Hack-style sight for Sigs. I have recently been adding flourescent paint to my front sights and the HDs appear to be exactly what I've been hoping for other than a "dot-over-dot" vial set up.

eternal24k
01-26-11, 15:17
any word on what finish is used on these?

decodeddiesel
01-30-11, 22:50
I will admit I had no interest in these, however after reading about them in Trijicon's site I am very interested. A shame they will not be making them for HKs.

eternal24k
01-31-11, 11:24
I think I am going to break down and order a couple sets this weekend

bullitt5172
02-04-11, 20:01
I think I am going to break down and order a couple sets this weekend

The HD sights are QPQ (salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing) finished.

Byrd
05-04-11, 13:47
I wish Brownell's would carry these.

Magsz
05-04-11, 14:03
I wish Brownell's would carry these.

They do.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42614/Product/HD_HANDGUN_NIGHT_SIGHTS

Byrd
05-04-11, 14:38
They do.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42614/Product/HD_HANDGUN_NIGHT_SIGHTS

Not sure how I overlooked them.

What's the consensus on yellow versus orange for the front sight?

mark5pt56
05-04-11, 15:00

I have over 10k through a G19 with no issues(3 dot Warrens) I've found the Heinie's to be ultra reliable as well.

I've seen issues with Trijicons for years.
The brand escapes me right now, the tritium/FO combo--do not, I repeat, do not waste your money.

Byrd
05-04-11, 15:18
WTF why don't they make these for the G21?

Fire_Medic
05-04-11, 15:20
I have over 10k through a G19 with no issues(3 dot Warrens) I've found the Heinie's to be ultra reliable as well.

I've seen issues with Trijicons for years.
The brand escapes me right now, the tritium/FO combo--do not, I repeat, do not waste your money.

I believe you're referring to the Tru Glo TFO's, which I would echo your recommendation of NOT using them. We stopped carrying them at the shop I use to work at, too many issues, customer service is non existent, and their warranty length is the worst, I believe it's 90 days, lol.

willowofwisp
05-04-11, 20:01
Not sure how I overlooked them.

What's the consensus on yellow versus orange for the front sight?

Its actually not yellow...its more green.

KCabbage
05-04-11, 21:09
Is the U notch a improvement over the standard square cut?

As Byrd asked, what color front feels the best?

demkofour
05-04-11, 22:02
My department has been running our issued GLOCK 19s and 26s with the standard Trijicon 3 dot sights since the early 90s. The only problem I've seen or experienced with them is dimming (after 10+ year service life) and some rusting (on guns NOT cared for). On my privately owned Gen4 G19, I installed Ameriglo Hackathorn sights, the front being a Trijicon green dot with a bright orange ring. That combo works great!

nobody knows
05-04-11, 22:28
Wow I was seriously considering these sights up until now. I had know idea trijicon's n/s had this bad a reputation compared to the competition. Everything else they make seems to have a stellar reputation, er...other then a few acupoint. Issues IV seen/herd off.

Steve
05-04-11, 22:36
Wow I was seriously considering these sights up until now. I had know idea trijicon's n/s had this bad a reputation compared to the competition. Everything else they make seems to have a stellar reputation, er...other then a few acupoint. Issues IV seen/herd off.

I have had HD sights on my guns for 3 years now with no issues they have been used a lot I have been very happy with them....

claybirdd
05-04-11, 22:57
I have always used meprolights on my USP45 and they have worked flawlessly. I have noticed that green lasts the longest followed by yellow then orange.

cgcorrea
06-24-11, 10:23
I just broke down and ordered a set of these for my Glock 19. I'm really lookin' forward to trying them out.

nobody knows
06-25-11, 16:49
I put these on my g19 about three week's ago. I really like these sights for fast shooting at short range,but they work vary well at range. One problem I. Have withe these tho is that every now and again if the light is at the right angle the sapphire cap's glare quite a lot. the sights are still usable but it's still usable.

MSteele
06-25-11, 19:52
I just installed these on my M&P 45 and they work great. I feel that the orange front and the U notch make for quick sighting.