PDA

View Full Version : NF 2.5-10 x 24 vs. 32

Nevermiss
01-23-11, 10:13
I'm trying to decide which glass to put on a 16" 308 AR and I'm also going to have an offset T1 in addition to this optic.

The X24 are no longer available for civilian sale and they are hard to find with the NPR2 reticle. I won't be using this routinely in twilight times.

The x32 is available and has several reticle choices including the velocity reticle. The x32 is only 2 oz. heavier and about 2" longer.

If anyone has experience with these two scopes for use in a similar setup, I would be interested in why you went with one vs. the other.

Thanks!

ALCOAR
01-23-11, 18:03
From personal experience it's an impossible decision to make in regards to picking either the x24 or x32. I bought my x32 first for my SPR and later bought the x24 for my Recce. Both have defined weaknesses and strengths against each other, and although they have the same magnification range...these two optics are essentially totally different animals.

The x32 is imho the quintessential glass for a SPR/MK 12 type and where it shines over the x24 is that it's an overall much more user friendly optic in regards to EP, FOV @ 10x, and Cheek-weld/ER. The twilight factor is negligibly greater on the x32 as well. The overall sight picture is beautiful and it's a very forgiving optic in a relatively compact package. If I were going with an AR at or over 18", my choice would be a x32.

The x24 is imho the quintessential glass for a Recce/Recon type and where it shines over the x32 and really everything else made is the amazing performance, max magnification, and lastly A Bomb proof construction...all the while doing so in such a compact and LW optic. The glass is obviously equal to the x32 but overall it's far less forgiving and depending on power level and environmental conditions present, the sight picture quality will be overall a bit less than the x32's. If I were going with a 14.5-16" precision type like an Afghan or Recce, than the x24 would be my choice.

I have no clue how NF came to the conclusion to discontinue the masterpiece that the x24 is but they indeed did and I am sure they had reasons which made sense to them, and at the end of the day the x32 is truly a masterpiece as well and is going to serve many more applications better than the x24 did.

SPR/x32
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ecmd5l.jpg

Recce/x24 & SPR/x32
http://i53.tinypic.com/145r0z.jpg

Nevermiss
01-23-11, 20:55
Trident82, your experience and opinion has been very helpful. Thanks!

Lost River
01-24-11, 04:26
I run the x24 version and really think highly of it. I actually run it on a chopped 308 bolt gun. Great little scope.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/070-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/PracticalTikka003.jpg

ALCOAR
01-24-11, 07:04
Glad I can help out with what little bit I know:)

I'll add some of the V ret's since my x32 has the LV ret. While it's a BDC ret., its one helluva fast and truly dead nuts accurate/reliable one once you take the proper NF V ret calc's and then sight the optic in properly, etc. for the particular load you plan on using. It has just the right amt. of hash/marks so that you can adjust enough for wind and elevation, yet maintains a min. amt. used thereby freeing up the overall sight picture which is advantageous in a few ways...esp. @ max power/10x with a moving target lets say.

The LV is perfect for both the 5.56 and .308 and while I don't use mine on a .308, I've heard from quite a few who have and report that its works perfectly w. the NF calc's and their particular loads. The reason I personally like the LV so much on a SPR/MK12 is that it's perfectly calibrated for the MK262 rd. (sight is 200yds. on 200yd. hash) and that it has the perfect 600yd. ret which just so happens to be the max comfy range of a SPR/MK12.

So it's not the greatest ret. for shooting paper or some kind of competition, however if your into hunting man or animals than it's a stellar performer. There are actually guys downrange currently that have the LV ret. in the NAVSPEC x32's and IIrc even some NAVSPEC nxs 3.5's are sporting it.

Just a thought but since you note this glass is for a .308, If you opt for the V ret than I would recommend getting the new V ret. with hash marks out to 1000yds. that is tailored more for the range of your .308 vs. the 600yd. range of the LV ret. being tailored for the 5.56.

Nevermiss
01-24-11, 12:01
Thanks again Trident!

I have a Swaro Z6i 1-6 (mounted on different 308 now) which has a BRT reticle which I believe is similar to the Velocity reticle of the NF.

I'll probably have to get the 2.5-10x32 if I want the v ret.

I'm mounting this on a 16" OBR with the T1 offset and we'll see how it goes. I'm planning the get the 16" OBR PredatAR when it come out this summer (a sub 8lb. 308!) and possibly another 308 soon as well, so even if the NF doesn't work out for this build, I'll have some other rifles in need of some glass.

The pics of both your guns really helps me can and idea of the relative size difference between the glass and how they fit the rifle.

ALCOAR
01-24-11, 13:09
I should have clarified about the nxs 3.5's using the new V 1000yd ret., and that is one of those IIrc things...the x32 w. LV's is fact however for sure.

http://www.snipershide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/NFSHOT.png

40Arpent
01-24-11, 14:35
I have no clue how NF came to the conclusion to discontinue the masterpiece that the x24 is but they indeed did and I am sure they had reasons which made sense to them...

Don't take me to task too sternly because I am pretty "optics challenged" (I have a NF 2.5-10x24 on my MWS and barely know how to turn the illumination on), but from what I could gather when shopping for this scope, NF decided to go "military only" on the x24 because of higher civilian demand for the x32 due to the light transmission advantage of the larger objective. I guess if you, as the NF company, are trying to appeal to a wide and varied customer base, including game hunters, this move might make sense?

VooDoo6Actual
01-24-11, 15:40
I'm using NF 2.5X10X32. Absolutely fantastic optic.

I have FC-2 ret. and ZERO regrets regarding it or it's efficay. I use it on my Noveske SPR, SCAR 17S, FALs, MK14 EBR et alia.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/NoveskeSPR1.jpg

Have the 1X4X24 as well a fantastic optic as well.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_1047Large.jpg

hth & good luck on your quest....

ALCOAR
01-24-11, 17:32
Don't take me to task too sternly because I am pretty "optics challenged" (I have a NF 2.5-10x24 on my MWS and barely know how to turn the illumination on), but from what I could gather when shopping for this scope, NF decided to go "military only" on the x24 because of higher civilian demand for the x32 due to the light transmission advantage of the larger objective. I guess if you, as the NF company, are trying to appeal to a wide and varied customer base, including game hunters, this move might make sense?

It's murky territory in regards to exactly what drove them to stop offering the x24 to the Civilian market, and while they currently have the policy of filling the x24s for the mil. contract, NF will tell you that the end users are slowly requesting more and more of the x32's and essentially the x24's are slowly being transitioned out of as more end users down range opt for the x32 over x24.

It would also seem apparent that NF planned on this very said thing to happen and prob. figured they wouldn't have to step on any toes in regards to the Military contract since they would just let the Military naturally transition from one to the other vs. the way they did the Civilian market awhile back ago by surprise. It would seem that they payed little attn. to what the Civilians wanted given they had sooo many fans of the x24 and then they just hit em w. that bomb with the decision already made and as a company entertained very, very little debate on the matter from the civilian world. This started a pure shit storm among loyal nxs compact users, and imo..rightly so.

armakraut
01-24-11, 19:52
One of the shot show threads indicated they might be working on something new.

They should have dropped the x32 and concentrated on the x24, it seemed to have had a much larger following. A few other quality companies have larger 2-10x scopes, I don't know of any off the top of my head that have smaller ones.

DMR
01-24-11, 21:27
I have the 2.5x10x32 NFX w/ the LV reticle and a 1.5x4 NFX w/ FC-2. For the role I intended it for both are great optics.

I recently used the 2.5x10 on my Noveske at the Jim Smith class near Ft. Bragg. Great optic and I found the holds quick and easy.
http://pro-patria.us/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/3solutions.29163824_std.gif

The 2.5x10x32 NFX also works well off hand if you have it dialed down note the eye relief(total nerd retiree photo):
http://pro-patria.us/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Range2.296172958_std.gif
Shooting steel at 100 yards for an article in the NYBDC Annual Report

shootist~
01-24-11, 23:16
The x32 is only 2 oz. heavier and about 2" longer.

I only have experience with the x32 and it's on an 18" precision A/R. As you noted, the weight difference is minimal (both are still heavy suckers). That and the fact that the x24 has a smallish exit pupil made the choice an easy one for me.

Alaskapopo
01-25-11, 02:44
I only have experience with the x32 and it's on an 18" precision A/R. As you noted, the weight difference is minimal (both are still heavy suckers). That and the fact that the x24 has a smallish exit pupil made the choice an easy one for me.

Me too. I understand why they dropped the x24.
Pat