PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Swap-out

Scoby
01-23-11, 11:23
I have two ARs as you'll see in the pic below.
At one time I considered going the SBR route and adding one to the stable. Although they are really "cool" and serve a purpose, looking past the want and coolness, I really don't need one.

My ARs:

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_0433-2.jpg

My current considerations.

The Noveske Light Recce Lo-Pro with the Leupold in the pic is my DM setup and has prompted what I'm now considering. The main round for this gun is PPU 75 gr BTHP Match ammo. If I do my part I get 1.25 to 1.5 MOA. I'm good with that. What really made me happy was that it will also shoot 55 gr M193 PPU/IMI to the same POI. Hell yeah!

The S&W is what I consider my CQB weapon and was my first AR. It is light, I shoot it really well and have no regrets buying it. It now has 2,000+ rounds out the tube without any problems. I mainly shoot M193 ammo out of it. It will not however shoot the PPU 75gr better than 4 to 5 MOA. This is really no surprise due to the 1:9 barrel twist.

I bought the S&W in the summer of 08 and paid too much for it. If I ever considered selling it, I'd never get close to what I paid for it unless a AWB is dropped on the table.
I'd like to swap-out the 1:9 barrel for a 1:7, 14.5" lightweight mid-length barrel with a pinned FH. I believe I could do this myself and I'm willing to drop the money on the tool(s) to do it.

If you notice, I have a AAC 51T Blackout on the Noveske. A AAC M4-2000 is in my future and will most likely be my only NFA investment and would like to use it on both guns.

Can a AAC 51T be pinned to a 14.5" barrel and still utilize the suppressor? I'm not sure but don't see why it couldn't be.

Would there be any problem with the gas block being exposed with the 10" Troy MRF? I think not but would like verification.

Scoby

SpankMonkey
01-23-11, 22:25
The 51T pinned to a 14.5 middy will work fine. No problem running a exposed GB. Just make sure it's pinned. I would recommend ADCO for their great work history for pinning FHs and GBs. The barrel swap you can do yourself.

Good luck.

SA80Dan
01-24-11, 08:36
The gas block on a midlength would stick out less than half an inch with the 10" rail - the tube won't be exposed at all, so no real worries IMO (although an 11" rail would be perfect).

A good picture I use to help visualize things in general is this one from Larue:

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/Charts/StealthProfileSheet_Rev-3-16-09.jpg

Specifically, look at the pic with the 16" barrel with midlength gas block and 10" rail. Of course it won't be an match with your Smith (different rail could be +/- on length, different gas block in the Smith without the ring towards the front), but will give you some idea.

Switching the barrel out is definitely something you can do yourself and is very straightforward - but if you want to do it trouble free, having the right tools is a must IMO.

And if you can switch a barrel out, you can build an entire rifle.....and on and on it goes, as I am rapidly finding out! :) If you do buy the tools, you'll certainly use them more than once! :)

Scoby
01-25-11, 11:41
Thanks for the replys guys.

I couldn't see where there would be a problem with permanently attaching the 51T. If the gas block protrudes alittle I got no problem with that either, although I don't know that I'd want the whole thing exposed and certainly not the tube.

I don't mind investing in the tools to do it. A fellas got to have something to tinker with ya know.

I'll drop Grant or ADCO a line and see what they can offer me.

Scoby