PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO)?

Pages : [1] 2

Chris17404
01-23-11, 11:36
Hi all,

The new Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO) announced at SHOW Show sounds very interesting to me. It seems to have everything you need in a nicely-priced package for people on a budget. What are people's thoughts on this? Will the mount that comes with it give the optic an absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness? Here's some details on it:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/01/21/aimpoint-patrol-optic-pro/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46snSW9f7ik

Thanks for your insight.

Chris

Dos Cylindros
01-23-11, 12:13
Well, it's a comp M2 in a newly designed mount. It seems to be a very good/proven package for a reasonable price. I was hoping to see some revolutionary variable power red dot this year, but no dice. Hopefully they will get around to it soon.

HeavyDuty
01-23-11, 12:23
Anybody know if the $440 number that's being quoted everywhere is MSRP or street?

Dos Cylindros
01-23-11, 15:53
Anybody know if the $440 number that's being quoted everywhere is MSRP or street?

I would guess MSRP because the Aimpoint rep on the video quoted the price. Should be able to get these a bit cheaper on the "street."

Dunderway
01-23-11, 23:34
I am really happy that Aimpoint is offering this package and also making it very public.

I was told by a reputable dealer that Aimpoint offers their M-Series with the original QRP mount for roughly the same price as the useless low profile mount that you usually get.

The problem is that if a dealer offers that cheap package, they will not be able to sell you a Larue or ADM mount with your new M-Series. This is borderline hearsay, but that same dealer did sell me a complete M2 with QRP and flip covers for $439.99. And yes, it was all packaged as a kit, in one single box from Aimpoint.

If these hit the street at $400, they will sell like crazy.

scootle
01-24-11, 01:20
Wow, that price plants it in the realm of a lot of "mass market" sales.

It looks like the MSRP on that complete PRO optic (mount incl.) is cheaper than what you'd pay for a Comp C3 w/ AD mount right now... not bad at all for a 2MOA optic with better water resistance (if that matters).

Very cool. :cool:

rob_s
01-24-11, 05:30
Pretty much agree with Dunderway. I've been steering people towards the C3 2 MOA with ADM mount at $465 for quite some time now.

IMHO the QRP mount is not ideal, and has some issues, but it's workable at least as a jumping-in point. and depending on what kind of feedback they get from their dealer network Aimpoint may modify the package. Although I suppose this could just be a way to divest themselves of old QRP stock or to keep turning a profit off of an existing production chain for those mounts.

Either way, if someone can get an Aimpoint with proper-height mount for $425, that's a great deal and a good way to get started with RDS. I suspect that, other than the mount, virtually all who are honest with themselves will find no reason to change the optic.

chapperjoe
01-24-11, 06:57
wow.

this looks like the af kit but alot cheaper

:eek:

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompM2-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-Kit-P44111.aspx

jdodd
01-25-11, 06:06
Yeah at 440 MSRP...im very excited for this mount.

I wonder who will get them in stock first?

-J

PRTrooper
01-26-11, 20:41
:confused: "IMHO the QRP mount is not ideal, and has some issues, but it's workable at least as a jumping-in point."

Ya wanna expand on this OPINION and let the rest of us know why?

UPDATE: I have the M2/QRP-II, which is improved; thats why I inquired.

Dunderway
01-30-11, 22:47
I missed it before but I guess this is actually a new optic also?

It's not an M2 (2MOA and better battery life)

It's not an M3 (less battery life)

I need neither, but it does give me a warm fuzzy that these have the extra waterproofing and are NVD compatible.

I'm surprised they just didn't purge all of their old M2s into some kind of similar deal. Those things can't be selling well in the civi market and the M4 is the new MIL standard, correct?

Dunderway
01-30-11, 22:51
IMHO the QRP mount is not ideal, and has some issues.

Rob, Have you used a QRP2 before? I run an original QRP right now and my only issue is how far the twist knob protrudes. It looks to be much more low profile on the QRP2, and I was wondering if it was much of an improvement.

jasonhgross
01-31-11, 11:28
This will be outstanding for a low cost/high quality rifle with BCM/Smartgunner upper and MOE hardware (idea stolen from Rob_s).

C4IGrant
01-31-11, 11:37

I think that is MSRP.

C4

C4IGrant
01-31-11, 11:38
Well, it's a comp M2 in a newly designed mount. It seems to be a very good/proven package for a reasonable price. I was hoping to see some revolutionary variable power red dot this year, but no dice. Hopefully they will get around to it soon.

Incorrect. It is an M3 with less hours and the mount isn't a "new" design (has been out for awhile).

C4

C4IGrant
01-31-11, 11:40
Yeah at 440 MSRP...im very excited for this mount.

I wonder who will get them in stock first?

-J

We ordered them the DAY that the notification came out so I am assuming that I should see some pretty quick.

C4

JSantoro
01-31-11, 13:02
I missed it before but I guess this is actually a new optic also?

It's not an M2 (2MOA and better battery life)

It's not an M3 (less battery life)

Eh. One could argue it either way as new or not, depending upon how wants to define new. The body certainly isn't new, nor is the capability, so I wouldn't define it as new, but as an engineering change to an established series/model. They tweaked the M2 circutry and put in the 2MOA diode.

New to the market, sure, but the device itself is just a mod to the existing.

This stands be a big thing for Aimpoint, in terms of winning more contracts. From a stock weapon or arms-room-gun standpoint (think LE departments and the like), they can compete w/EOTech more firmly on a $$$ basis in addition to a point-for-point performance basis. The mount is good-not-great, which puts it at parity with the 5-series EOs, at worst. The only other thing anybody could concievably argue good/not-good is a dot vs. circle-dot reticle, and that's a matter of personal preference.

For the same or even lesser cost than practicaly any EO, you get a device that beats the EO in performance categories and hands-down gives EO a swirley on the CS side. A good CBA already establishes this, but most agencies' bean-counters wouldn't know a good one if it bit 'em on the beanbag. They love to look at price, not cost.

kwelz
01-31-11, 15:22
Keep in mind guys that these are not meant for those of us who want a Larue or ADM mount for our M2 or M3.

They are marketed towards Police departments. Many Departments dont' have an armorer or at least not one with a lot of extra time. These will come ready to mount and Zero. No screwing around or fiddling. And they are priced under the cost of an Equivalent Eotech. I plan on picking one up for my M&P22. Inexpensive but still quality.

Dualspringfields
02-02-11, 23:30
Dot size??
I will definetly want one.

CoryCop25
02-02-11, 23:35
Dot size??
I will definetly want one.

2 MOA

kmrtnsn
02-02-11, 23:43
I would be more interested if it was offered without a mount.

C4IGrant
02-03-11, 14:59
We just got word that Aimpoint has shipped our order for these. We also found out that this is an LE Dealer thing. Meaning that commercial and Military Aimpoint dealers won't be allowed to order them.

C4

VaeVictis
02-03-11, 16:04
We just got word that Aimpoint has shipped our order for these. We also found out that this is an LE Dealer thing. Meaning that commercial and Military Aimpoint dealers won't be allowed to order them.

C4

Got an ETA and price on these? This looks like a decent aimpoint that fits my budget.

C4IGrant
02-03-11, 16:39
Got an ETA and price on these? This looks like a decent aimpoint that fits my budget.

Guestimate that it will be in the low $400's.

C4

CoryCop25
02-03-11, 22:49
Put one aside for me!

Dunderway
02-03-11, 23:08
C4

Wow. Nice work Grant and Aimpoint. I am in a state of disbelief that I will actually go from seeing a product released at Shot Show to having it in my hands in less than a month.

Hope you ordered a bunch of them.

desert
02-03-11, 23:52
Interesting. Not sure how it will sell. Perhaps even people on a budget, will save up a little more, to get the more packed and loaded item. Even if they do not need the extra features. It's the American thing to do, we want to super size everything.

Don't rule out the higher end Aimpoints. If someone wants an Aimpoint, most likely thing is they are going to want and Super Size it.

The old days are missed when there were so few choices, that made acquiring optics and other things much easier. These days there are so many choices, we end up getting every model.

Army Chief
02-04-11, 06:55
Interesting. Not sure how it will sell. Perhaps even people on a budget, will save up a little more, to get the more packed and loaded item.

Actually, my impression is that it will sell extremely well.

With the notable exception of the T-1, which takes us down a very different path with respect to both form factor and weight, the differences between the M2, M3 and M4 just aren't terribly significant in a functional sense. Yes, you can get updated circuitry, better battery life and a more precise aiming point in the newer models, but in actual use, all of that added expense doesn't really translate into better performance when it comes to printing in the black at the most commonly-encountered distances.

I dare say that most shooters who prefer a full-size tube would be perfectly content with an M2-style optic that offered the M3's 2MOA aiming point, along with some of the battery life enhancements seen in later models like the M4. It seems to me that this is exactly what Aimpoint has sought to provide with the PRO. You get more precision, improved battery life and a familiar form factor at a price that is much, much easier to justify for a non-magnified optic.

Time will tell, and I may well be proven wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new PRO takes much of the shine away from the traditional M series, since there is no longer much reason to pay a premium for features that offer incremental improvements at best. If I can buy a brace of PROs for nearly the same basic outlay as one M4, what would I really stand to gain by going with the latter? Granted, the question is rhetorical, but for those of us who have increasingly found ourselves standing on the sidelines, cheering Aimpoint on, but chafing at the price creep of the full-size models, the PRO would seem to be just what the doctor ordered.

AC

patrol120
02-04-11, 16:05
This sight offers an Aimpoint meal on an EoTech budget. Its a win-win. I have seen many agencies, and officers, bemoan the price of the Aimpoint, and its requirement to buy a separate mount, for years. Price is most often the reason the EoTech is purchased, and by department heads and officers who dont know any better. When the sight fails, they all run to Aimpoint, but only after outlaying substantial money for the seemingly less expensive initial price. Now, hopefully, a truly duty ready sight will find its way into the mainstream.

mx124
02-06-11, 09:24
I just bought one! The deal on these is better than anticipated.

Buckeye0311
02-06-11, 09:43
Grant, I would like to pick one of these up from you. When do you think you will have them ready for purchase from your site?? Thanks!!!

By the way I wanted to thank you for the upper you put together for me about 10 months ago. It turned out just right. God bless.

jdodd
02-06-11, 14:03
I just bought one! The deal on these is better than anticipated.

Where? How much?

Gecko_764
02-06-11, 14:32
I ordered one yesterday from SKDTac. It was $400. They were in stock there for less than 24 hrs before they ran out, so grab yours quick when you see it.

mx124
02-06-11, 14:59
Where? How much?

Got it from SKD. Due to MAP restrictions, I'll PM you the price.

C4IGrant
02-06-11, 16:12
Grant, I would like to pick one of these up from you. When do you think you will have them ready for purchase from your site?? Thanks!!!

By the way I wanted to thank you for the upper you put together for me about 10 months ago. It turned out just right. God bless.

I should see them this week I think.

C4

friendlyfireisnt
02-06-11, 18:56
I should see them this week I think.

C4

Let us know. I've got a friend who is in the market for his first Aimpoint, and this looks to be the best (budget) choice.

Only concern:

Does the mount provide for lower 1/3rd or absolute co witness? If absolute, is there a way to set it up for lower 1/3rd?

Dunderway
02-06-11, 19:38
It should be lower 1/3 (or close). At lease that is how the original QRp w/spacer is, and this one looks a tad bit higher.

mx124
02-06-11, 21:18
Comes with a QRP2 mount. Should be Absolute Co-witness.

Dunderway
02-06-11, 21:31
But it includes the spacer, which should put it in the lower 1/3 or close, unless I am mistaken.

Someone who has one in hand please verify.

Thursday
02-06-11, 21:57
Here's the only writing I can find on it. The way I read it sounds like an absolute co witness, but I could easily be 100% wrong.

The modular QRP2 mount includes a removable spacer that indexes the sight at the optimal height for co-witness with the standard iron sights on AR15/M16/M4 Carbine style weapons. This spacer can be removed to enable the use of the sight on police shotguns or sub-machine guns.

CoryCop25
02-06-11, 22:49
I am starting to re-think this sight. I have an Eotech 553 on my duty rifle now. It weighs 15 ounces. By switching to this Aimpoint (11oz), I only shave 4 ounces. I think it's a great new product but I think I'll put the extra cash out for a Micro. I'm still on the fence.

tbaytusmc
02-06-11, 23:27
I just got done ordering everything for my competition build for 3-guns and cqb comps, (not all together yet cause I'm on the other side of the world atm) and i got an eotech xps2-2 for that... but I'm not a brand-type fanboy, and I'm really considering this for my next build, which'll be my shtf build...

I've never had or shot with an aimpoint before though. The 2moa alone sounds like it wouldn't stand out too well in a high-speed, high-stress situation, to me. I realize the eotech is a 1moa, but it has the 65moa ring to draw your eye... I realize any answers will strictly be opinion, but how do you guys feel about the 2moa dot? Am I wrong to assume what I have?

I've shot with pretty much everything else, from irons to acog to eotech to 1-4x's and your traditional scopes... along with some cheaper red-dots (ATN for a stand-in red-dot on new guns)... I just don't have a lot of... or any... experience with the aimpoints, is what I'm getting at.

C4IGrant
02-07-11, 09:55
Let us know. I've got a friend who is in the market for his first Aimpoint, and this looks to be the best (budget) choice.

Only concern:

Does the mount provide for lower 1/3rd or absolute co witness? If absolute, is there a way to set it up for lower 1/3rd?

Not sure. I will have to wait and look at it before I can say.

C4

CarlosLehder
02-07-11, 17:13
this is available at skdtactical for $400.00

seems very affordable

http://www.skdtac.com/Aimpoint_PRO_Patrol_Rifle_Optic_p/aim.310.htm

hals1
02-07-11, 22:18
this is available at skdtactical for $400.00

seems very affordable

Look again. It's "Out of Stock". I think they just have a place holder in their catalog for it. You see that a lot for new stuff; not just with SKD either. Allows pre-orders? Great to have a street price though.

Dunderway
02-07-11, 23:07
Look again. It's "Out of Stock". I think they just have a place holder in their catalog for it. You see that a lot for new stuff; not just with SKD either. Allows pre-orders? Great to have a street price though.

It's already sold out twice. Jump on it if you see it in stock and want one, because these things are going like crazy so far.

This is just an awesome value for what you are getting.

patrol120
02-07-11, 23:48
I am starting to re-think this sight. I have an Eotech 553 on my duty rifle now. It weighs 15 ounces. By switching to this Aimpoint (11oz), I only shave 4 ounces. I think it's a great new product but I think I'll put the extra cash out for a Micro. I'm still on the fence.

You may only shave 4oz, but you gain an immeasurable amount of reliability and ruggedness.

CarlosLehder
02-08-11, 06:34

It was in stock when I posted that. I received an email notifying me it was back in stock

C4IGrant
02-08-11, 12:35
These are now in stock!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/PRO_Box.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/PRO.jpg

VaeVictis
02-08-11, 15:28
Thanks! Just ordered one.

C4IGrant
02-08-11, 15:57
Just verified that these are an absolute co-witness.

C4

kwelz
02-08-11, 16:18

C4

Is there a riser available?

patrol120
02-08-11, 16:48
Yes, there is.

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-Spacer-Rail-Grabber-P42367.aspx

Gecko_764
02-08-11, 20:29
I got mine today. I've never had an Aimpoint before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I have to say I'm very impressed with it. I kind of like that the mount has "Patrol Rifle Optic" printed on it as well.

f.2
02-08-11, 21:09
will this work in a LaRue LT-150?

C4IGrant
02-09-11, 09:17
will this work in a LaRue LT-150?

Yes.

C4

dravz
02-09-11, 13:52
I'm done changing batteries on Eotechs. I just sold both of mine and will be getting a PRO (or two) ASAP.

Ejh28
02-10-11, 09:28
Since it works with the LT-150, I'm assuming a LT-127 (the cantilever mount) would work too?

C4IGrant
02-10-11, 09:32
Since it works with the LT-150, I'm assuming a LT-127 (the cantilever mount) would work too?

Correct.

C4

kwelz
02-10-11, 10:03
Unless I am mistaken this is a standard M3 with new marketing behind it. Any traditional Aimpoint mount will work.

DaBears_85
02-10-11, 14:48
I've never had or shot with an aimpoint before though. The 2moa alone sounds like it wouldn't stand out too well in a high-speed, high-stress situation, to me. I realize the eotech is a 1moa, but it has the 65moa ring to draw your eye... I realize any answers will strictly be opinion, but how do you guys feel about the 2moa dot? Am I wrong to assume what I have?

Can anyone ever see Aimpoint incorporating an EOTech-style reticle into their sights? I'm of the opinion that EOTech's reticle is the only thing keeping it in the same discussion as the Aimpoint models, even if it is bringing up the rear. Still, it's enough for me to be on the fence about switching from an EOTech to an Aimpoint. I think if they were to adopt an EOTech-style reticle they would not only clean house, but put the competition to rest once and for all. Or even better, make EOTech step up their game considerably.

J

NCPatrolAR
02-10-11, 16:30

I havent had an issue using a 2MOA Aimpoints. If you find the dot too small, you can always increase the brightness and "flare" the dot making it larger and easier to see.

friendlyfireisnt
02-10-11, 19:54

C4

Thanks for checking!

hunter123
02-10-11, 20:32
From what i'm reading on these,they are the same as the M2,except the pro has more battery life,comes with the mount and has the 2 moa dot?If so,then people need to start lowering the prices that they are wanting for thier used M2's.

nimdabew
02-10-11, 23:17
From what i'm reading on these,they are the same as the M2,except the pro has more battery life,comes with the mount and has the 2 moa dot?If so,then people need to start lowering the prices that they are wanting for thier used M2's.

This is what I am wating for. I would LOVE to see M2's with LT-150's go for 350. I thought there was going to be a big rush on ACOG's when the green reticule came out, but there wasn't a giant drop in those either.

rob_s
02-11-11, 04:52
I havent had an issue using a 2MOA Aimpoints. If you find the dot too small, you can always increase the brightness and "flare" the dot making it larger and easier to see.

Same here.

I was skeptical of the 2 MOA until I tried them, and now I really like them. With my astigmatism I find they bloom less because they start smaller.

SteveL
02-11-11, 13:46
What is it about the included mount that everyone finds to be lacking?

C4IGrant
02-11-11, 18:04
What is it about the included mount that everyone finds to be lacking?

Could be the size or weight of it.

They are a good mount, just not known real well.

C4

Packer Backer
02-11-11, 22:33
Sorry newbie here.... But do we know when this is going on sale?

I need an optic and have pretty much made up my mind on this new AimPoint setup.

Packer Backer
02-11-11, 23:03
Sorry guys, I should have looked before I asked... I just found it at skdtac.com and botachtactical.com.

Looks like botachtactical is cheaper with free 2 day shipping.

nimdabew
02-11-11, 23:08
Sorry guys, I should have looked before I asked... I just found it at skdtac.com and botachtactical.com.

Good luck getting stuff from them.

SoDak
02-12-11, 00:41

Why not buy from Grant? He has them in stock.

C4IGrant
02-12-11, 07:47

Why not buy from a forum sponsor?

C4

kmrtnsn
02-12-11, 09:16

C4

Grant, you beat me to it! That has always been my line.

Packer Backer
02-12-11, 10:26
Sorry guys! I agree 100% in supporting the forum and sponsors. I will get my order placed with Grant today!

ac130usnsr
02-12-11, 16:57
Just got my PRO today. First impressions...built and looks like every CompM2/M3 I've ever handled. Rubber cover fits, but does require a little trimming to clear the QRP2 mount in the rear. Killflash ARD screwed in the front same as would be expected. Using the standard AR-15 spacer (http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-Spacer-Rail-Grabber-P42367.aspx) to achieve a lower 1/3 co-witness does not work. It raises the scope too high. FWIW, I know this has been said to be absolute co-witness, but on my DDM4v3 with stock irons, it appears to be closer to lower 1/3 than absolute (reticle is not on my front sight post when sighting the irons, but does appear to be centered in the optic just above the top of the rear peep aperture when I lift my head a little). I'll find out for sure tomorrow at the range. My previous optic, Bushnell Tactical Elite 1x32 Red/Green T-Dot, was absolute co-witness. It served well through ~2600 rounds and two carbine classes. Loved the T-dot reticle, but it was big, heavy and ate batteries (I'm on my third). I'm happy to finally have a high-quality optic that I feel comfortable using for HD/SHTF. Will update and add pics after the range tomorrow.

Packer Backer
02-12-11, 20:33

C4

Grant,

I was just going to place my order and noticed you are out of stock. Any ideas when you will get more in?

Thanks!!

Moon Doggie
02-13-11, 21:35
Only Police are allowed to buy this optic or can anyone buy it?
I also noticed Grant was out of stock.

C4IGrant
02-14-11, 08:45
Only Police are allowed to buy this optic or can anyone buy it?
I also noticed Grant was out of stock.

Anyone can.

We should have more in stock shortly.

C4

Moon Doggie
02-14-11, 09:15
Anyone can.

We should have more in stock shortly.

C4

Thank You Sir and I will keep checking your website

JSantoro
02-14-11, 09:43
Can anyone ever see Aimpoint incorporating an EOTech-style reticle into their sights?

No, because Aimpoint has no reason to emulate EO in any regard, but particularly in regard to what is essentially a cosmetic feature. The folcal point of any RDS is the dot, not what may be around it. Any of that stuff is like-to-have, not have-to have.

Aimpoint's got all the important aspects of a duty-grade RDS pretty much wrapped up; changing the reticle, presuming that a lawsuit wouldn't erupt (which it probably would) would basically just be a gimmick. Symbolism over substance.

CarlosLehder
02-14-11, 10:58
does anyone have any photos of the aimpoint pro mounted?

nimdabew
02-14-11, 11:13
does anyone have any photos of the aimpoint pro mounted?

A quick google image search got me this image.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/news/SHOT-AimpointPRO-2.jpg

CarlosLehder
02-14-11, 11:47
^I saw that one and a couple of others on gunblog. Just wanted to see some different perspectives

DacoRoman
02-14-11, 12:07
A quick google image search got me this image.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/news/SHOT-AimpointPRO-2.jpg

what kind of co-witness does this set up give you?

nimdabew
02-14-11, 12:21
what kind of co-witness does this set up give you?

It was stated earlier in the thread.

Gecko_764
02-14-11, 13:45
It's absolute co-witness.

Dunderway
02-14-11, 22:34
Just mounted mine up, but it will be a while before I can zero it. It sits just as high if not higher than an original QRP with the added spacer. To me this means it should not be an absolute co-witness but somewhere between a Larue 150 and absolute CW (lower 1/2 if you will).

Regardless of the CW semantics, I am very pleased with this package and hope that this is a long standing item in AimPoint's lineup.

va4runner
02-17-11, 16:20
I received my Aimpoint PRO yesterday from Grant. Since the weather is nice for a change and I'm slow at work, I decided to sight it in today.

This is my first red dot sight. I had tried a friends EoTech and I liked it, but I could never get over the battery life and all the praises Aimpoint's receive. I was hesitant at first to go with the Aimpoint because I thought It would look like I'm looking through a tube.

I never got the "looking through a tube feeling". I felt that it was plenty fast enough for target acquisition.

For the price with mount included I'm very pleased with this package and I'm impressed with the Aimpoint. I have been shooting irons all summer and it was really fun to change it up. I can see what all rave is about now.

Some pics. 10 rounds at 100 yards included.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/jdmp220/IMG_20110217_114143.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/jdmp220/IMG_20110217_113958.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/jdmp220/IMG_20110217_113933.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/jdmp220/IMG_20110217_113838.jpg

HES
02-17-11, 18:59
Is there a riser available?

Yes, there is.

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-Spacer-Rail-Grabber-P42367.aspx

Has anyone confirmed that this will work? Lower 1/3rd co-witness would be a huge selling point for me.

ac130usnsr
02-17-11, 23:39
Has anyone confirmed that this will work? Lower 1/3rd co-witness would be a huge selling point for me.

It will not work. It raises the optic too high. With this spacer installed you cannot even see the glass through the irons. The QRP2 mount places the PRO higher than absolute co-witness, closer to, but not quite as high as lower 1/3 co-witness.

HES
02-18-11, 00:00
And adds another $100 to the cost. *sigh* Thanks for the info.

HeavyDuty
02-18-11, 08:06
I've been planning on picking up a 2 MOA ML-3 with part of the tax return, but I'm beginning to wonder if the Pro would be a better deal. I don't really need NV capability and I was planning on using a LT-150 mount; however, I could always use the QRP-2 for now and later sell it off for what the market will bear.

I know the Pro doesn't come with the rubber jacket, but does it include the cap retainer Y? (I'm not seeing it in most pics of the Pro.) If the retainer isn't included, does it at least have the proper caps to use it?

ac130usnsr
02-18-11, 09:37
I know the Pro doesn't come with the rubber jacket, but does it include the cap retainer Y? (I'm not seeing it in most pics of the Pro.) If the retainer isn't included, does it at least have the proper caps to use it?

Yes it comes with the retaining strap and flip open lens covers, with the rear lens cover being a see through one.

mrbieler
02-18-11, 09:39
I think this is going to replace the H1 on my FAL. :)

HeavyDuty
02-18-11, 20:36
Yes it comes with the retaining strap and flip open lens covers, with the rear lens cover being a see through one.

I know about the flips, but if it comes with the strap I'm sure it has the proper battery and turret caps. (I believe it's the C3 that comes with bald caps, to add the strap you need to replace them.)

Thanks!

Moon Doggie
02-23-11, 20:53
I have a S&W MP 15x, flat top, I want to buy this Aimpoint PRO as soon as Grant gets more in.
Will the mount that comes with it be all I need to mount the PRO to my flat top and be ready to sight it in or will I need a separate mount or something else before I can sight in the PRO ?
Thank You

VaeVictis
02-23-11, 21:13
It comes mounted on the QRP2 mount, just throw it on the rail and your good to go.

rob_s
02-24-11, 04:55
I know about the flips, but if it comes with the strap I'm sure it has the proper battery and turret caps. (I believe it's the C3 that comes with bald caps, to add the strap you need to replace them.)

Thanks!

this pic posted above seems to pretty clearly show the Y-strap (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/jdmp220/IMG_20110217_113958.jpg)

HeavyDuty
02-24-11, 08:13
this pic posted above seems to pretty clearly show the Y-strap (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/jdmp220/IMG_20110217_113958.jpg)

Rob, I agree - but the vast majority of the PRO pics I've seen have been sans strap, thus the question. If it comes with one, great!

Moon Doggie
02-24-11, 10:37
It comes mounted on the QRP2 mount, just throw it on the rail and your good to go.

Thank You Sir, now if I can just find one to buy :(
I keep checking Grant's site, I can wait a little longer as I would rather give Grant the business than anyone else

C4IGrant
02-25-11, 11:23
These are back in stock!

C4

cj5_dude
02-25-11, 14:32
From someone else on another forum. Grant, can you confirm or debunk this statement...

"I just got an email from someone at Aimpoint reading "The PRO has been reeled back in and it is now only available for departmental purchase following the efforts of our LE sales team..."

Packer Backer
02-25-11, 20:20
I got my email today confirming my shipment from G and R!

Thanks Grant!!

C4IGrant
02-25-11, 21:45
From someone else on another forum. Grant, can you confirm or debunk this statement...

"I just got an email from someone at Aimpoint reading "The PRO has been reeled back in and it is now only available for departmental purchase following the efforts of our LE sales team..."

I am an LE dealer and have not heard this.

C4

chadbag
02-25-11, 21:54
I've gotten no emails from Aimpoint with changed policy either.

Gecko_764
02-26-11, 07:38
The only place I've found reference to that is on here. But, then, considering the rate at which Aimpoint updates their website....

rob_s
02-26-11, 07:58
...From someone else...
...on another forum....
...someone at Aimpoint...

Really? Could we be less vague? A nebulous post from a nebulous person on a nebulous forum about a nebulous email from some nebulous person at Aimpoint?

JSantoro
02-26-11, 12:03

Who knows, maybe that dude has Internet Munchausen's Syndrome.

Weirder things've happened, but I don't see them dialing back on it after what appears to be a very successful initial push on the commercial market.

On the other hand, given the shake-up they just had in their senior management...might be they've gone Bizarro Superman on us, and figure that losing money is making money.

Food for thought: "Someone at Aimpoint..." could be a reference to their janitorial staff. Take it for what it's worth until you hear an official announcement.

cj5_dude
02-26-11, 12:34
The reason for posting that wasn't to claim it as a fact but to have it verified or not by a valid known member of this forum. Don't all get your panties in a wad, it was a question and not a statement.

jsebens
02-26-11, 13:10
I posted that on the other forum. I'm happy to forward you the email from their National Sales Manager if you need it for your reference.

Army Chief
02-26-11, 13:27
The reason for posting that wasn't to claim it as a fact but to have it verified or not by a valid known member of this forum. Don't all get your panties in a wad, it was a question and not a statement.

This was an entirely reasonable post, right up until you had to go with the panties reference. C'mon, man ...

Sounds like the lingering question here is this: will this restriction play out along the same lines as the old Colt "LE Sales" policy with distribution limited to stocking LE dealers, or is this mere saber rattling on the part of a manufacturer who is working through some rather odd leadership transitions at the moment?

AC

Madball13
02-28-11, 06:50
Got my new PRO yesterday and it is pretty much the same as the M3 except the PRO is almost $200 cheaper and comes with a mount.

kymudder08
03-01-11, 09:18
I'm lookin to pick up a new rds for my first ar. I'm interested in this bc it seems to fit my budget but I'm leery on the fact of why it's cheaper. I'd hate to buy it thinking I'm gettin the quality of their otter sites like the ml3 and such and they end up vein junk. So basically yes or no on this thing? Lol

C4IGrant
03-01-11, 09:50
I'm lookin to pick up a new rds for my first ar. I'm interested in this bc it seems to fit my budget but I'm leery on the fact of why it's cheaper. I'd hate to buy it thinking I'm gettin the quality of their otter sites like the ml3 and such and they end up vein junk. So basically yes or no on this thing? Lol

Nothing to be worried about. Aimpoint had no model that directly competed with EOTech, in that was cheap and mountable right out of the box. So this is what they came up with.

Aimpoint doesn't make junk so buy with confidence!

C4

kymudder08
03-01-11, 10:52
Ok grant thanks! U got any In stock?

Singlestack Wonder
03-01-11, 12:57
These are back in stock!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12841

C4

When these were first announced, the M4carbine member price on your site was 10% lower than the current price. Was the original price a misprint?

streetrat
03-01-11, 15:20
^^^^^ I'm interested in knowing this as well!

Also, can someone tell me the exact weight of the PRO w/ mount and lens caps? My ML3 with A.R.M.S. #22M68 mount w/ spacer, rubber cover and flash hider is 14oz. I'm just wondering if I'll save any weight with the PRO.

C4IGrant
03-01-11, 15:52
When these were first announced, the M4carbine member price on your site was 10% lower than the current price. Was the original price a misprint?

That price was an error on our part.

C4

C4IGrant
03-01-11, 16:02
Also, can someone tell me the exact weight of the PRO w/ mount and lens caps?

12.8 ounces.

C4

streetrat
03-01-11, 16:07
Yeah, so I'll probably save an ounce. Oh well I still think I'm buying one!

Thanks, Grant!

kymudder08
03-01-11, 16:09
checked your site grant and i cant find it. does it only show in stock items?

SteveL
03-01-11, 16:38
checked your site grant and i cant find it. does it only show in stock items?

Aimpoint PRO (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12841&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Daimpoint pro%26searchstart%3D72%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html)

chadbag
03-01-11, 16:57

There is actually some substance to this. In an email I just got from Aimpoint government sales team it talks about the rules on this item. I am sure Grant will get it as well.

It does seem to allow for individual officer sales through my reading of it.

rattlesnake
03-01-11, 23:04
Just got mine ordered. Thanks Grant! I didn't see any special m4c pricing, but I am happy to get an aimpoint pro. It was in stock, and gtg, so if You guys are worried about the email I suggest You place Your order immediately. I am stoked! I bought a counterfeit m2 yesterday for $300, so this made my day. I wish I ordered the PRO to begin with.:dance3:

blackgt85
03-02-11, 03:01
I have been debating picking one of these up now for a while. I guess I better get to the bank tomorrow and put some more cash in the checking account.... I really don't wanna miss out on the chance to get one!

Justin

dan586
03-02-11, 11:31
Im still blurry on the co-witness...

Dunderway- "It should be lower 1/3 (or close). At lease that is how the original QRp w/spacer is, and this one looks a tad bit higher" "But it includes the spacer, which should put it in the lower 1/3 or close, unless I am mistaken" "It sits just as high if not higher than an original QRP with the added spacer. To me this means it should not be an absolute co-witness but somewhere between a Larue 150 and absolute CW (lower 1/2 if you will)"

mx124-"Comes with a QRP2 mount. Should be Absolute Co-witness"

Thursday as quoted form elsewhere-'"The modular QRP2 mount includes a removable spacer that indexes the sight at the optimal height for co-witness with the standard iron sights on AR15/M16/M4 Carbine style weapons"'

C4IGrant-"Just verified that these are an absolute co-witness"

Gecko 764-"It's absolute co-witness"

any more input to clear this up?

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 11:39
Im still blurry on the co-witness...

Dunderway- "It should be lower 1/3 (or close). At lease that is how the original QRp w/spacer is, and this one looks a tad bit higher" "But it includes the spacer, which should put it in the lower 1/3 or close, unless I am mistaken" "It sits just as high if not higher than an original QRP with the added spacer. To me this means it should not be an absolute co-witness but somewhere between a Larue 150 and absolute CW (lower 1/2 if you will)"

mx124-"Comes with a QRP2 mount. Should be Absolute Co-witness"

Thursday as quoted form elsewhere-'"The modular QRP2 mount includes a removable spacer that indexes the sight at the optimal height for co-witness with the standard iron sights on AR15/M16/M4 Carbine style weapons"'

C4IGrant-"Just verified that these are an absolute co-witness"

Gecko 764-"It's absolute co-witness"

It could be its own co-witness. Meaning in-between an absolute and a lower 1/3. I just stuck it on a rifle and glanced at quickly. It wasn't a lower 1/3 co-witness for sure.

To be honest, it really doesn't matter.

C4

theblackknight
03-02-11, 12:00
So theyre NOT? gonna sell these to non LEO's?

FUUUUUU. **** it. I guess 'ill just try to get a second hand eotech or something.

chadbag
03-02-11, 12:15

FUUUUUU. **** it. I guess 'ill just try to get a second hand eotech or something.

The letter I got was a little bit bigger group than just LEOs. Most govt connected organizations including mil and NG were on their list as well as "security companies". Various groups "and their employees"

Gecko_764
03-02-11, 12:26
It could be its own co-witness. Meaning in-between an absolute and a lower 1/3. I just stuck it on a rifle and glanced at quickly. It wasn't a lower 1/3 co-witness for sure.

To be honest, it really doesn't matter.

C4

Agreed. When I zeroed my PRO, the red dot was at the same level as the top of the fsp, and the whole thing was roughly centered. My understanding is that that is an absolute co witness. My other understanding is that a parallax free dot means where that dot is, so goes your bullet. I would think as long as the RDS is zeroed it doesnt matter where it is. I guess one could have a personal preference...

JSantoro
03-02-11, 12:33
I posted that on the other forum. I'm happy to forward you the email from their National Sales Manager if you need it for your reference.

...and I managed to shove both feet into my mouth...AGAIN! At least it's been a couple of months since the last time. Usually, I can measure the elapsed time with my watch.

My bad, Jake.

Still makes me wonder what the HELL is going on over at Aimpoint.

David Caruso was having a great career up until the point that he left NYPD Blue and went full-retard. Hope they're not channeling his model and screwing up the good thing they have going in this optic.

Singlestack Wonder
03-02-11, 12:35

As inventory becomes more stagnant, they will begin to sell to anyone. ;)

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 13:37
As inventory becomes more stagnant, they will begin to sell to anyone. ;)

Doubtful. The words "stagnant" and Aimpoint generally don't go together.

C4

jsebens
03-02-11, 13:49
The letter I got was a little bit bigger group than just LEOs. Most govt connected organizations including mil and NG were on their list as well as "security companies". Various groups "and their employees"

Interesting; they told me, and I quote, that "The PRO has been reeled back in and it is now only available for departmental purchase following the efforts of our LE sales team." Maybe whoever you're talking with at Aimpoint is a step ahead or behind my source.

jsebens
03-02-11, 13:50
...My bad, Jake...

No sweat. Just know that you can ALWAYS email me for verification, regardless of what forum you see me posting on.

rob_s
03-02-11, 14:04
No sweat. Just know that you can ALWAYS email me for verification, regardless of what forum you see me posting on.

That was kinda the point of my post though. The person that referenced it didn't say who posted it, or where, or who the Aimpoint email was from, so there really wasn't any way to contact the original poster of the email, which is exactly the problem with the way it was posted here.

jsebens
03-02-11, 14:26
That was kinda the point of my post though. The person that referenced it didn't say who posted it, or where, or who the Aimpoint email was from, so there really wasn't any way to contact the original poster of the email, which is exactly the problem with the way it was posted here.

As much sense as that makes...I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the person who referenced it, who could have emailed me and asked where I got my info, thereby keeping him from having to ask here.

However, if I HAD been talking to you, you'd be completely right. Casualties of text conversations.

rob_s
03-02-11, 14:28
As much sense as that makes...I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the person who referenced it, who could have emailed me and asked where I got my info, thereby keeping him from having to ask here.

However, if I HAD been talking to you, you'd be completely right. Casualties of text conversations.

you're a pip man, quite a pip.

Generally if one wishes private conversation, private message is the preferred method.

FWIW and all that, if you were talking to me.

jsebens
03-02-11, 14:30
you're a pip man, quite a pip.

Generally if one wishes private conversation, private message is the preferred method.

FWIW and all that, if you were talking to me.

Whoa...should I start using big smiley faces whenever I'm not intending offense? I think you may have taken that as a jab instead of as the innocent comment that it was. You erroneously tied my post to the point of yours, and I corrected you regarding the point of mine. Where did we get all snarky?

chadbag
03-02-11, 14:31
Interesting; they told me, and I quote, that "The PRO has been reeled back in and it is now only available for departmental purchase following the efforts of our LE sales team." Maybe whoever you're talking with at Aimpoint is a step ahead or behind my source.

It was an email directly from Aimpoint GOV sales to me (and I presume all other dealers listed as GOV dealers in their database). Which came in yesterday.

jsebens
03-02-11, 14:34
It was an email directly from Aimpoint GOV sales to me (and I presume all other dealers listed as GOV dealers in their database). Which came in yesterday.

Thank you; I've emailed their Nat. Sales Manager again, and asked what's going on. Maybe this time I'll get the straight poop.

ra2bach
03-02-11, 15:36
Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post

That price was an error on our part.

C4

Ok, so is the price shown on the link to your site the M4carbine member price, or the "pilgrim" price? :D

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 15:44
Ok, so is the price shown on the link to your site the M4carbine member price, or the "pilgrim" price? :D

At this time, we do not have any member pricing on the PRO's.

C4

Singlestack Wonder
03-02-11, 15:46
Doubtful. The words "stagnant" and Aimpoint generally don't go together.

C4

It does when it relates to "new" products utilizing parts from older generation series of products.

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 15:52
It does when it relates to "new" products utilizing parts from older generation series of products.

Yes, but not when those "older generation parts" are packaged together, ready to mount for a VERY low price.

C4

Singlestack Wonder
03-02-11, 16:21
Yes, but not when those "order generation parts" are packaged together, ready to mount for a VERY low price.

C4

I guess we will see in six months if all Aimpoint dealers are selling them.

chadbag
03-02-11, 16:43

Due to the low MSRP on these, the difference between dealer and sale price is not great unlike the normal Aimpoint stuff.

mrbieler
03-02-11, 16:49
Can a bit awkward when manufacturers are selling through different channels and they introduce a product / price point that can negatively impact sales elsewhere in their group.

I understand why Aimpoint is positioning things this way and what they are going after, but I can see how it's got their other sales group concerned.

We'll see how it all shakes out and how they manage things.

kymudder08
03-02-11, 17:08
so grant, if they do make it to where only LEO and military can buy them will you still be able to get them?

mx124
03-02-11, 17:42

Fyi...mine is absolute co-witness.
The dot lives on the tip of the FSP.

VaeVictis
03-02-11, 21:41
I found that when I lined my dot up with the tip of my front sight that I was shooting considerably low.

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 22:26
so grant, if they do make it to where only LEO and military can buy them will you still be able to get them?

Good question. Don't really know how this thing will play out in the future.

Aimpoint (and all companies) struggle with enforcing MAP programs so I am really not sure how they are going to control this.

C4

chadbag
03-02-11, 22:46
Good question. Don't really know how this thing will play out in the future.

Aimpoint (and all companies) struggle with enforcing MAP programs so I am really not sure how they are going to control this.

It seems to be available to all LE/GOV registered dealers. They just don't want it sold outside the guidelines and not listed on websites, eBay, GunBroker, etc as for sale.

So I would guess Grant and other Aimpoint dealers who are registered in their LE/GOV program have access to it as long as they agree to the rules.

Beat Trash
03-03-11, 13:10
I am all set to buy an Aimpoint H-1 with a LaRue mount. Then I see the Pro.

Is there anyone out there that have used both an H-1/T-1 and the new Pro?

I'm tempted to buy the Pro to save the money, but will I end up regretting not going with an H-1 down the road? It'd probably be cheaper to buy the H-1 now vs. buying the Pro, then selling it at a loss and then buying an H-1. If I would end up with the H-1.

THe H-1's size, weight, and lower 1/3 co-witness are the biggest selling points to me over the Pro.

Anyone have both that they can compare the two?

AndrewS
03-03-11, 13:37
THe H-1's size, weight, and lower 1/3 co-witness are the biggest selling points to me over the Pro.

Only you can decide. If these points are worth the additional cost of the H-1 then buy the H-1. If not then buy the PRO.

C4IGrant
03-03-11, 13:46
I am all set to buy an Aimpoint H-1 with a LaRue mount. Then I see the Pro.

Is there anyone out there that have used both an H-1/T-1 and the new Pro?

I'm tempted to buy the Pro to save the money, but will I end up regretting not going with an H-1 down the road? It'd probably be cheaper to buy the H-1 now vs. buying the Pro, then selling it at a loss and then buying an H-1. If I would end up with the H-1.

Anyone have both that they can compare the two?

I personally prefer the Micro's to all other Aimpoints. We have a combo deal with an H-1 and a DD mount that is really hard to beat: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APH1DD

With that said, the PRO is a deal for sure if you are ok with the mount.

C4

rattlesnake
03-03-11, 14:47
How quick did you guy's PROs ship? When I ordered mine I put my email address .cmo instead of .com so I didn't get any order conformation or tracking number. UPS has showed up after dark on multiple occasions ,and not see the street number, so they return to sender. Hopefully ,with the sun staying out later, I will be ok, and it will not get returned.

ra2bach
03-04-11, 00:48
At this time, we do not have any member pricing on the PRO's.

C4

ah, OK, thanks for clearing that up Grant...

JSir
03-04-11, 07:42
Placed my order with Grant last night! Thank you Sir

HeavyDuty
03-05-11, 09:34
Now that the money is finally coming in, I am having a *heck* of a time deciding what I want for the new midlength:

* ML-3 in an AD-68; or
* PRO in an AD-68 plus a rubber jacket

Can anyone articulate a good argument why I would prefer an ML-3 over the PRO? I don't have any NV, but who knows - that could change in the future as prices come down.

(I want a higher cowitness than most lower 1/3 mounts provide, thus the AD-68.)

kwelz
03-05-11, 09:36
Now that the money is finally coming in, I am having a *heck* of a time deciding what I want for the new midlength:

* ML-3 in an AD-68; or

Can anyone articulate a good argument why I would prefer an ML-3 over the PRO? I don't have any NV, but who knows - that could change in the future as prices come down.

What is the price difference?

The PRO is just an M3.

Madball13
03-05-11, 09:38

* ML-3 in an AD-68; or

The PRO has a couple NV settings, maybe not as many as the M3.

streetrat
03-05-11, 10:04
I have the ML3 with an ARMS 22M68 mount. I like it... But if you want a different mount why get the PRO? If you search around long enough you can find good deals on the ML3. I got mine from an individual on eBay for around $435 shipped, then my 22M68 mount from someone else (slightly used, but sill looked new) with a full spacer for $85.

But I just ordered the PRO from BoTach (sorry Grant) on the 3rd. I ordered from them mainly because I need a rear BUIS and it comes with a free one, and I got free shipping. I spoke to someone on the 2nd from BoTach who said they got an order in the day before but had already sold out and expected another 50 in soon. So I risked it, ordered the 3rd and it shipped the 4th. I guess my timing was just right... Hopefully I can get used to the smaller 2MOA dot over my ML3's 4MOA.

HeavyDuty
03-05-11, 10:53
What is the price difference?

The PRO is just an M3.

I think there a few insignificant differences. The PRO would be cheaper than the ML-3, even with the added mount and rubber cover (especially of I sell off the MRP2.)

The PRO has a couple NV settings, maybe not as many as the M3.

NV isn't a big issue for me, but it's still a plus.

I have the ML3 with an ARMS 22M68 mount. I like it... But if you want a different mount why get the PRO? If you search around long enough you can find good deals on the ML3. I got mine from an individual on eBay for around $435 shipped, then my 22M68 mount from someone else (slightly used, but sill looked new) with a full spacer for $85.

I don't want used, I want a full warranty, and I'm not a big fan of the MRP2 mount.

I'm really beginning to think the PRO is the way to go here.

streetrat
03-06-11, 13:40
My ML3 was new, from an authorized dealer who sells on eBay so the warranty is still valid, although I highly doubt I will ever need to take advantage of it.

Really the only thing your losing by getting the PRO is 2 years worth of battery life, but 3 years is still plenty.

HeavyDuty
03-08-11, 08:54
Grant - I just sent you an email about the PRO (and ML-3), please ignore my PN from earlier today. Thanks!

AlohaChris
03-11-11, 06:58
Methinks nobody's getting Aimpoint PRO's any more...

Dear SKD Customers,

If you are receiving this email, you had submitted a notification request for the Aimpoint PRO. Unfortunately, we are no longer able to offer the PRO to the general public due to new sales restrictions on this item from Aimpoint. The PRO is now only available to verified personnel who fall under the following categories: Law Enforcement agencies, Military Units, National Guard, Security companies, Federal agencies, US Government Contractors and their employees.

Please realize that all of this is determined by the manufacturer, Aimpoint, whose distribution rules we must abide by and we will not answer any requests for purchases of this optic unless you meet the guidelines stated above. Thank you for your understanding in this matter and we hope we can continue to serve your tactical gear needs in the future.

Best regards,
SKD Tactical

Well, thanks Aimpoint. Glad to know you care. :rolleyes:

jdodd
03-11-11, 07:39
Methinks nobody's getting Aimpoint PRO's any more...

Well, thanks Aimpoint. Glad to know you care. :rolleyes:

I think they care...care that the people these were intended for (leo) probably can't get them. Maybe when things settle down they will change their stance.

-J

Singlestack Wonder
03-11-11, 10:38
Glad I stocked up on a few recently.....Given time, when sales slow down, Aimpoint will release them to everyone again (maybe with yet a new name). :cool:

C4IGrant
03-11-11, 10:39
We have some of these in stock. Feel free to e-mail us to see if you meet the reqs.

C4

Singlestack Wonder
03-11-11, 14:23
Botach has a few more Aimpoint Pro's in stock. They are including two (2) Pmags with each order. I got my last three from there with no delivery issues.

tbaytusmc
03-11-11, 18:57
SKD says sales to pretty much entire agencies and mil units... You think they will sell to individual servicemembers?
I might try botach defense, since I have a military account with them... I might do a little research for other companies... If I can't find one for my next build then... I'll stick with EOTech, thanks.

jsebens
03-11-11, 19:29
SKD says sales to pretty much entire agencies and mil units... You think they will sell to individual servicemembers?

According to multiple emails from Aimpoint's National Sales Manager, no. Sales are to units/agencies only. If you find a dealer who's playing by different rules, more power to you; the PRO's a great optic.

ffhounddog
03-14-11, 07:20
I wonder if I should sale my new CompM2 in Larue mount for one of these.

What does the brass here think?

kwelz
03-14-11, 07:27
I wonder if I should sale my new CompM2 in Larue mount for one of these.

What does the brass here think?

I am not exactly the "Brass" but here are my thoughts.

The PRO is a COMP3. This is an improvement over the M2 but depending on your use it won't be that much of an improvement. You get better battery life and slightly better electronics. Other than that you need to ask yourself what you gain? A heavier and (possibly) lower quality mount? If I did sell it I would keep the mount. You can probably bet 200-250 for the M2. Then use the Larue mount and sell the Aimpoint mount that came on the PRO for another 75 or so.

Up to you if the time and trouble + 75-100 dollars is worth it.

ffhounddog
03-14-11, 07:31
Thats a good point I could just get a Comp M3 for a few hundred and keep the mount. I would prefer to get another CompM4 but I have one for me and that is all I need the other three rifles sport CompM2s.

Beachboy
03-15-11, 18:37
Don't know the stocking status but BoTach pushed out an email today offering the PRO for $400.00 with with a Kill Flash and free shipping.

C4IGrant
03-15-11, 19:07
We have more PRO's in stock.

C4

Beachboy
03-15-11, 20:48
Excellent news! I will PM you for further discussion.

Thanks

kymudder08
03-15-11, 21:07
So grant, are u making it where you have to be Leo or mil?

Dos Cylindros
03-15-11, 21:40
So grant, are u making it where you have to be Leo or mil?

I don't think it is Grant's doing, but rather Aimpoint who is making the rules on this one.

C4IGrant
03-15-11, 21:42
I don't think it is Grant's doing, but rather Aimpoint who is making the rules on this one.

Bingo.

C4

ZoomByU
03-15-11, 22:10
Im a little confused, so only LEO agencies can purchase or can individual LEO's purchase? If it's the former I guess I'll just get an T1.

opmike
03-15-11, 23:12
Im a little confused, so only LEO agencies can purchase or can individual LEO's purchase? If it's the former I guess I'll just get an T1.

If a PRO was on your horizon, you should just opt for the H-1. I don't understand why the H-1 and C3 get treated like redhead step-children.

sapper36
03-17-11, 07:20
If a PRO was on your horizon, you should just opt for the H-1. I don't understand why the H-1 and C3 get treated like redhead step-children.

Those are both great optics. I have to have NVG capability though and that rules them out.

pointblank4445
03-17-11, 09:41

The answer is obvious. I can go 40m deeper into the water......for......uh.....the.....uh.....zombie sharks.....yeah ZOMBIE SHARKS! Seriously though, i'm assuming it has to do with the stigma some have of assuming one is "competition" vs. "military" grade. Heck I don't know what "C" "M", and "H" stand for even.....I just make my decision on price, dot size and the battery used.

Singlestack Wonder
03-17-11, 14:51
The answer is obvious. I can go 40m deeper into the water......for......uh.....the.....uh.....zombie sharks.....yeah ZOMBIE SHARKS! Seriously though, i'm assuming it has to do with the stigma some have of assuming one is "competition" vs. "military" grade. Heck I don't know what "C" "M", and "H" stand for even.....I just make my decision on price, dot size and the battery used.

C - Competition
M - Military
H - Homebody

:lol:

Gecko_764
03-17-11, 16:03
C - Competition
M - Military
H - Homebody

:lol:

Nice.

I don't understand why they limited it to agencies. If they're going to limit it, then do it, but why not allow an individual officer or soldier by one?

fullotto76
03-18-11, 22:47
some places sell to civies just look around

DOA
03-23-11, 01:29
I ordered one tonight for a bit less than $400 shipped/no tax.

scootle
03-23-11, 01:56
I don't understand why the H-1 and C3 get treated like redhead step-children.

I don't get it either... looking at Rob's little optic survey thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77116), almost nobody runs the C3... I guess everyone has more $$$ or more extreme needs than I do. ;)

Too bad the PRO is restricted sales for the time being... you'd think they'd want to cash out on the large market segment the C3 seems to have completely missed since it seems so unpopular (for whatever reason).

AlohaChris
03-23-11, 07:24
I ordered one tonight for a bit less than $400 shipped/no tax.

Are you one of Aimpoint's chosen people or have you found a civie friendly seller?

DOA
03-23-11, 19:38
Are you one of Aimpoint's chosen people or have you found a civie friendly seller?

Civie friendly seller(at least for now anyway)

UPDATE. Sold out and on backorder. Not sure if this seller can get anymore.

fullotto76
03-23-11, 22:19
There are sights mentioned in this thread that are still selling to civies
If u search on the web you will find some... I just got mine the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsebens
03-23-11, 22:49
some places sell to civies just look around

If you know of one (and you seem to), you should get on that pretty fast; Aimpoint's cracking down on the ones that slipped out.

warpigM-4
03-29-11, 00:28
Well I Had the BBT show up at my door this Morning and i got My Aimpoint PRO .

Out of the Box a really nice set up ,comes with one battery ,allen wrench ,shorter screws if you remove the spacer that is already on the QRP2 .

I have not got out to sight it in yet ,but it comes from the factory at center .

This is a CompM3 has front and rear flip covers rear is see through .
Just putting it on My Colt and It Looks to be in the Lower 1/3 Co-witness on the BUIS ,Although looking through the Irons the Dot is sitting right on top of my Front sight post .

For the price you can Not beat this set up !!!!
Sorry for the Crappy picture But i just snapped it look close and you can see the front sight post

I will post more about it once I sight it in and run some rounds downrange
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/007-9.jpg

I have to thank Iraqgunz for walking me through and giving me advice on cutting down my carry handle .
I wanted a fixed rear BUIS ,but did not want to drop a bill on one when i could do my own

Update
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/010-7.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/009-7.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/006-8.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/005-10.jpg

variablebinary
03-29-11, 06:43
In case anyone wanted to know the technical differences between major Aimpoint models compared to the PRO

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/Aimpointguide.jpg

LHS
03-29-11, 19:11
Interesting. The other sights are made of "extruded high-strength aluminum", while the PRO is "high strength aluminum". What's different in the manufacturing process? How do they make the tube if not via extrusion?

VaeVictis
03-29-11, 19:29
The chart also shows the PRO having 50,000 hours (5 years) of battery life. Everything I've seen including the box mine came in states it has 30,000 hours (3 years) of battery life, so it's probably miss marked. It's most likely that the PRO is made from the same aluminum and they just left the "Extruded" part out on the chart.

Singlestack Wonder
03-30-11, 15:10
Where did this chart come from?

Eric
03-31-11, 20:42
I've been using the PRO for about a month and as expected, it runs like any other 30MM tube Aimpoint (M2, ML2, M3, ML3, C3, etc.).
While the QRP2 mount might not be my first choice, it works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Aimpoint/IMG_08592.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Aimpoint/IMG_0184.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Aimpoint/IMG_08542.jpg

kid presentable
03-31-11, 21:39
Where did this chart come from?

you can do a product comparison on the aimpoint website.

Singlestack Wonder
04-01-11, 10:06
you can do a product comparison on the aimpoint website.

They obviously need to clean up some minor details (i.e. battery life, etc.)

tacdrivrnc
04-08-11, 12:21
haven't found this yet, but may have missed it...
does the rubber cover for the M3 series fit the Aimpoint PRO? It looks like it would but has anyone tried it?

C4IGrant
04-08-11, 12:22
haven't found this yet, but may have missed it...
does the rubber cover for the M3 series fit the Aimpoint PRO? It looks like it would but has anyone tried it?

It will work. Think of the PRO as you would an ML2, M2, ML3, M3 or C3.

C4

N.W.GAfuzz
04-14-11, 01:48
Good to know; I was wondering the same thing.

This was my first RDS, and I LOVE IT

nimdabew
04-14-11, 09:20

How is three years not good enough? You spend more than the cost of a new battery before you are done with your first magazine at the range.

boomhower
04-14-11, 09:36
Finally got mine out to the range and I really like it. It's my first red dot and I couldn't be happier. I did order another mount from ADM for lower third cowitness. Absolute with fixed sights was just to busy. I was concerned about tube effect and not being able to pick up a 2MOA dot, all of those were completely unfounded. I'm a happy camper.

markm
04-14-11, 09:43
Tag...

This one interests me.... a lot.

JSantoro
04-14-11, 10:59
Wow, I missed this one....

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5149/whatyouthinki.jpg

ZoomByU
04-14-11, 21:48
Just got mine in today from G&R. Can't wait to go and try it out.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x138/ZoomByU/April2011042.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x138/ZoomByU/April2011043.jpg

HES
04-15-11, 00:40
Nice. Just wish I was still military or was LE so I could get one.

markm
04-15-11, 22:23
Nice. Just wish I was still military or was LE so I could get one.

Dude... :confused:

There's several links posted above who will sell you one. C'MON, MAN!

Singlestack Wonder
04-16-11, 11:21
Wow, I missed this one....

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5149/whatyouthinki.jpg

Not sure what you are referring to but I was referring to discrepancies in the posted chart.

jmp45
04-16-11, 11:48
Dude... :confused:

There's several links posted above who will sell you one. C'MON, MAN!

skd has them in stock but must be (LE/Mil/Govt/Security Only). I read posts though they had sold to civs, group buys etc.

charger02
04-16-11, 11:53
No one thinks it is wrong for dealers to sell the PRO to civilians even though Aimpoint specifically states its for MIL and LEO only (please correct me if I am wrong or civilian sales are authorized under specific conditions)?

To me, if a dealer is willing to compromise themselves on something so minor then I have to ask the question what else are they willing to compromise on?

GLOCKMASTER
04-16-11, 12:03
I handled one yesterday and was impressed. It's your typical not going to let you down Aimpoint quality. If I needed another Aimpoint I would be looking at this one for sure.

jayw13th
04-16-11, 12:20
Singlestack: While reading the manual it is my understanding that the stated battery life is based on leaving the optic at the lowest NV setting. The 3 year battery life is based on leaving the optic at the regular optimal red dot setting.

warpigM-4
04-16-11, 12:45
I have to post these I got Mine from Grant about a Month ago got my Killflash on and my daughter thinks it is cooler than anything!!:D
this is my first RDS and I love it

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/005-11.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/004-7.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/003-10.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/002-7.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/001-10.jpg

jmp45
04-25-11, 15:34
I just mounted a PRO on my M&P. I put on the rubber boot. Tip, if you are planning on using a boot with the PRO stock mount. Trim a notch out of the bottom, back by the eyepiece. The boot is too thick to go between the mount and PRO. I cut about a 1/4" out, fits just fine.

I replaced my Vortex Strikefire with the Pro. No issues with the strikefire, in fact it's the only RDS in that price range I've tried that holds zero and has no other issues. As far as rds brightness. When the PRO is on 7, the 3 year setting, the Strikefire is just a bit brighter in it's highest position. when the PRO is on 8, it's brighter than the Strikefire's highest, 9 is the ultra bright on the pro. So I'm guessing the R/G Strikefire is somewhere between the Pro's 7 and 8 setting. I'm really liking the 2 MOA dot also.

streetrat
04-25-11, 17:14
I've been using the PRO on my Rock River Operator2 and it's been great. I bought it from BoTach when they had free shipping, and a free A.R.M.S. rear flip up sight and KZ defense pen. I sold the pen to a friend for $20 so I basically got the PRO and A.R.M.S. BUIS for $380 shipped... I like the absolute co-witness over lower 1/3, and the 2MOA over my previous 4MOA ML3. The only thing I don't really like is the knob on the side of the mount and how large it is. I've noticed once that it got loosened a bit when I was running drills the time before last. It wasn't extremely loose, but enough for the sight to move on the rail. I guess I'll just have to check it every now and then and make sure it's tight.

markm
04-25-11, 18:08
I guess I'll just have to check it every now and then and make sure it's tight.

Witness mark it with a paint pen or something so you see it all the time. That's an important enough piece to witness mark.

InfiniteGrim
04-25-11, 22:22
Apparently their is either a new verions that has 50,000 hours of battery life or they revised the specs to reflect new findings.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/InfiniteGrim/pro50k.png

jmp45
04-26-11, 09:53
I noticed that when the pro is set in 7, 8 or ultra depending on lighting conditions the led lights up a ring around the perimeter of the glass. Being a new Aimpoint owner is that normal?

Code3Patriot
04-26-11, 12:14
I noticed that when the pro is set in 7, 8 or ultra depending on lighting conditions the led lights up a ring around the perimeter of the glass. Being a new Aimpoint owner is that normal?

Same thing on my CompM4, it's normal.

jmp45
04-26-11, 12:28
Thanks C3P, just wanted to know if it's normal. Odd too that the specs changed, guess I'll find out in 3 years.

jmp45
04-26-11, 19:11
I looked over some of the docs at Aimpoint. ACET diode circuit was implemented in 2005 in all models rating @ 50k hours, except the M2 and ML2 which are significantly less at 1k - 10k hours with CET diode. The pros are now spec'd using the ACET at 50K like all others in that family. Unless they have a CET, earlier version of the ACET or other circuit at 30K hours as they originally rated these, I'm guessing the PRO's may have always been 50K hours using the ACET.

warpigM-4
04-26-11, 19:32
[QUOTE=jmp45;982536]Thanks C3P, just wanted to know if it's normal. Odd too that the specs changed, guess I'll find out in 3 years.In bright sunlight you won't see the Ring just the dot on the inside of the house you can see it as soon as you go out it is gone

Lung
04-28-11, 22:48
I don't think this is a m3 - dumbed down in battery life. Seems to me that it is just a M2 - with the battery life rated to 30,000 hrs on power level 7. Seems like if you crank it up you must get less hrs... let's just say it is set on 9, I'm thinking 10,000 hr battery life..

This is still a great deal ap has since its comes with a mount, if you like the 2 moa dot that is.

By the way, is that mount a ARMS product? The spacer looks similiar to me -

warpigM-4
04-28-11, 23:15
I don't think this is a m3 - dumbed down in battery life. Seems to me that it is just a M2 - with the battery life rated to 30,000 hrs on power level 7. Seems like if you crank it up you must get less hrs... let's just say it is set on 9, I'm thinking 10,000 hr battery life..

This is still a great deal ap has since its comes with a mount, if you like the 2 moa dot that is.

By the way, is that mount a ARMS product? The spacer looks similiar to me -

QRP2 mount

markm
04-29-11, 08:39

What's not to like about the 2 minute dot? That's the only thing I'd buy if I ran an RDS.

Bushmaster-M4A3
04-30-11, 11:45
How well does that PRO mount work? Is it quick detach? How is it secured? Just turn the knob? It seems it could loosen up if all you have on it is finger pressure? Would you say this is equivalent to the throw-lever type?

DiabhailGadhar
04-30-11, 14:33
OK so I've been looking at one of these and possibly going on to remove the QRP2 and replacing it with one of the Larue LT-129's. Any reason why this wont work or that I shouldnt go down this route? Is there going to be a problem co-witnessing with my Troy front folding BUIS's? Comments, concerns, suggestions...???

JSantoro
04-30-11, 14:55
The QRP-2 mount is a ratcheting tension mount. That knob you see loosens up like any screw. As you tighten it up, it acts like a torque wrench; once you tighten it to it's preset torque limitation, it stops tightening and starts going "pop!" It's a good idea to turn it through 2-3 pops beyond the initial one, just to be sure.

If zeroing, after you fire your first group and shaken up/heated the gun (metal is now expanding/contracting, not to mention the recoil impulse you just induced), it's also a good idea to pop it through 2-3 clicks again, just to be as sure as you can be.

Honestly, once you get it set the first time, you're probably good, as it's a solid, serviceable mount, but I come from the "INSpect what you EXpect" school. It's just not a sexy mount, and it doesn't come with dry-rub seasonings, so folks tend to poo-poo it even though they're thinking of the original QRP, which was.....iffy.

This thing has provided absolute co-witness with irons on every rifle I've seen sighted in with it, which used Troy F&R, F-marked FSBs w/ DD fixed rears, MBUS F&R. Unless one has a VLTOR CAS-V forearm or similar peculiarity, I don't see Troys being a problem.

DiabhailGadhar
04-30-11, 15:53
GTG, thanks JS just saved me $100...

El Pistolero
04-30-11, 22:42
How much does the QRP2 mount weigh? It looks like a porker.

Also, LaRue is selling a PRO/LT-150 package for $540, seems like a good deal and the combo includes the OEM QRP2 mount. I'm considering buying this for my Noveske build and selling off the QRP2 mount. Does anyone know if LaRue will sell the PRO to civilians? I don't want to give my credentials just to buy a sight, I think that's silly.

dexvx
05-01-11, 21:39
What would be the recommended way to mount an Aimpoint PRO on a DDM4 XV? Do I take off the rear sights or leave them on (and leave the optic more towards the barrel of the rifle)?

warpigM-4
05-01-11, 21:58
What would be the recommended way to mount an Aimpoint PRO on a DDM4 XV? Do I take off the rear sights or leave them on (and leave the optic more towards the barrel of the rifle)?

I cut my carry handle down and made a fixed BUIS and placed the Aimpoint PRO over the Magwell and it balances out well

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/003-10.jpg

HMMM whats that spider doing there ???

C4IGrant
05-03-11, 12:32
Just got another shipment of PRO's in!

C4

brzusa.1911
05-10-11, 07:47
I am mounting this optics with the QRPII mount, and my question is what is the flip to side mount to get for the magnifier that will perfectly align with this setup?

nimitz87
05-24-11, 17:02
can someone PM where to find these now as a civillian/individual military?

if not that H1 combo from G&R looks nice as well...

Chad

SteveL
05-24-11, 17:43
PM sent.

TeamGrazzi
05-25-11, 00:15
Now that the PRO has been out a while and from read through this a lot of people bought them. The question I have is... Does everyone still think this is a good RDS or are we slowly finding issues with it? I think this would be a great first RDS for me and want to jump on it while Grant still has some in-stock.

C4IGrant
05-25-11, 08:19
Now that the PRO has been out a while and from read through this a lot of people bought them. The question I have is... Does everyone still think this is a good RDS or are we slowly finding issues with it? I think this would be a great first RDS for me and want to jump on it while Grant still has some in-stock.

The PRO is basically an M3. There are no issues to find. ;)

C4

hals1
05-25-11, 20:01

C4

Works for me. Now I just have to find $400.

pinzgauer
06-02-11, 22:37

I've read that, but then also read it's *close* to an M3, but with only 3 year vs 5 year batt life of the M3. Quoted specs for the PRO seem to back that up.

Still pretty darn good, but would make you think it's a "value" version of the m3 with cheaper diode circuitry or something. Unless it's an error in their specs. Any scoop on that?

In any case, still looks like a jamup deal!

El Mac
06-02-11, 22:45
I've read that, but then also read it's *close* to an M3, but with only 3 year vs 5 year batt life of the M3. Quoted specs for the PRO seem to back that up.

Still pretty darn good, but would make you think it's a "value" version of the m3 with cheaper diode circuitry or something. Unless it's an error in their specs. Any scoop on that?

Its an Aimpoint. Which means its solid. Buy with confidence.

C4IGrant
06-03-11, 08:46

Aimpoint has now updated the battery life to 5 years (check out their website).

C4

SteveL
06-03-11, 09:38
I'm still seeing 3 years for battery life on the Aimpoint site. It's in the tech specs, general info, and on the product sheet (pdf). I do seem to recall reading something official from Aimpoint a couple of months ago stating that the PRO had a 5 year battery life however, but I don't remember exactly where that was.