PDA

View Full Version : Round in Barrel!

chevellemrwl
01-23-11, 14:16
Last march I found a really nice Lee Enfield at my local gun show. Clean wood, all the parts were there. Bolt was clean and a real clean and smooth action.

Now, the problem. Bought some surplus ammo online from a place I have bought lots of parts from. And the next round of gun shows picked up some reloads of .303.

The surplus fired great. Hardly any kick, and very accurate with plain old irons. However, the reloads after 3 rounds gave me a problem. First three fired off fine, then the four I could not chamber all the way. Extracted the 4th rd, and the tip of the bullet appeared to be pushed into the casing. Pulled the bolt out, and sure enough the rd is stuck in the barrel.

Tried 2 different cleaning rods, and no avail to knock it out. I was hoping with the soft lead I might be able to get it moving a little. No, I broke both cleaning rods.

So now just wondering if I need to break down and take it into my local gun shop. Kinda think I know this answer.

Any one ever had a stuck rd and found a way to get it out?

Gutshot John
01-23-11, 14:25
You mean the projectile itself? or the whole case?

Option 1: Pour some penetrating oil down into the barrel, let it sit and penetrate between the bullet and barrel and use a cleaning rod to try and push the bullet out.

Option 2: Fill the barrel with oil (any non-compressible fluid like water would also work), use the largest diameter cleaning rod, along with a patch to make a better seal and try and push the rod down into the barrel. The hydraulic pressure should push it out though it will make a bit of a mess.

chevellemrwl
01-23-11, 14:30
Yeah just the projectile itself. The casing came out find and didnt appear to be damaged or split.

The bullet only moved about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch. So the next rd almost chambers. Which is how I knew something was up since it didnt lock all the way.

I might try the water, and I have some rubber plugs I might be able to get a good seal to try the hydraulic method.

bkb0000
01-23-11, 14:46
i've had great success with brass rods. i now own them in several diameters for different calibers, but you don't need to be super tight- just get the larges brass rod that will fit from your local hardware/home desperation, and don't be afraid to really smack that bitch. makes sure the stock is on something hard- the slab in your garage would be perfect.

i've rammed squibs (bullet stuck in the bore) from glocks, ARs, .22lrs, and even a 30-06.... works every time.

i generally grind in a dimple at the end of the rod, so it tends to want to sort of wrap over the tip of the bullet, rather than just mash it, and to keep the rod centered on the projectile, rather than rub against the bore.

Alpha Sierra
01-23-11, 15:18
1/4" brass rod and hammer

goneballistic
01-26-11, 23:57
i've had great success with brass rods. i now own them in several diameters for different calibers, but you don't need to be super tight- just get the larges brass rod that will fit from your local hardware/home desperation, and don't be afraid to really smack that bitch. makes sure the stock is on something hard- the slab in your garage would be perfect.

i've rammed squibs (bullet stuck in the bore) from glocks, ARs, .22lrs, and even a 30-06.... works every time.

i generally grind in a dimple at the end of the rod, so it tends to want to sort of wrap over the tip of the bullet, rather than just mash it, and to keep the rod centered on the projectile, rather than rub against the bore.

this will work for you and it's what I do. I have also successfully used a wooden dowel that was also just under bore diameter.

don't be afraid to whack the dowel or brass rod pretty hard. it's softer than the barrel steel so shouldn't hurt it.

I used a dowel and gave it a good whack with a rubber mallet, the bullet popped right out.

wesprt
01-27-11, 00:32
I second the brass rod. That's what we used in the shop for squibs and it always worked like a charm.

goneballistic
02-03-11, 00:00
brass rod and rubber mallet will work, as will a long wooden dowel that is near bore size. you can pop the brass rod pretty good without causing any damage.

When determining overall case length when reloading I've seated some bullets long and jammed them into the lands and they stuck.

they're surprisingly hard to dislodge.

I have found with an AR15 sometimes you can get them loose just slamming the butt on the ground pretty smartly but usually use a long wooden dowel.

308sako
02-13-11, 19:08
Freezer overnight, and pound it in the AM.