PDA

View Full Version : Streamlight PT-2L on Vltor SM-E Mount

Fried Chicken Blowout
01-23-11, 15:02
Anyone know if the new Streamlight PT-2L will fit and function on the Vltor SM-E Mount designed for the Surefire Defender Lights? The Spec on the Vltor site say it will fit a light as small as 0.81" in diameter. The Streamlight has a barrel diameter of 0.77"... I'm just wondering how critical the 0.04" would be?

Can't seem to find the answering with Google or other searches on this site.

Thanks

Robert 02
01-23-11, 15:35
I use the LaRue Tactical Inline Flashlight Mount LT-707.
.760 diameter. It is a tight fit & requires work to get it in but that is the way it should be.

El Pistolero
01-23-11, 23:43
If you are planning on mounting the PT-2L to a weapon, don't bother. It is a great light for what it is; high-powered, multi-mode, very compact. It's a great EDC light. However, it ain't no Scout Light. It will not withstand being weapon-mounted. It can't handle recoil, for example, if you take the light and turn it on and shake it, it will switch modes. That's the nature of the beast, and in handheld usage this problem does not present itself but it will become very apparent when mounted to a rifle. I love my PT-2L but it is not meant to be a weapon light. You are much better off with something simpler and single-mode, such as the PolyTac LED for example. Sorry to rain on your parade but the PT-2L is not ideal for what you are asking to do with it.

Fried Chicken Blowout
01-24-11, 21:33
It will not withstand being weapon-mounted. It can't handle recoil, for example, if you take the light and turn it on and shake it, it will switch modes.

Not an issue with mine. I turned it one and shook it. No problem. So I banged in on my hand. No problem. So I banged it on a table as hard as I could... No problem... I would say you got one that was out of spec or has out of spec batteries. I still need a mount for mine if anyone has any ideas.

El Pistolero
01-24-11, 22:21
It's actually a known issue with the PT-2L, not just mine, and from my research it's common but like I said it's not a problem in real-world use. But then no one else is trying to mount one to a weapon either.

As for your mounting issues, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps wrap the light in tape until it fits snugly in the mount if the light is under-sized.