PDA

View Full Version : bcg question?

zachyv88
01-23-11, 15:05
So i am ready to order my bcg. but have a question.
I had my heart set on a bravo company auto bcg.
but i have heard that the dd bcg may be better?
Can anyone clear this up for me. thanx:)

K9222
01-23-11, 15:31
I have not heard that either one was better than the other but I HAVE HEARD both are OUTSTANDING!

I have not owned a DD BCG but I have two BCM's and they have been nothing but perfect. I would be hard pressed to order any other than BCM because in my case, why mess with success?

Now if I could not get a BCM, DD would be my second choice. I know guys that are running the DD's and they like them just as much as I like my BCM so either way you go, be confident with your choice.

Cameron
01-23-11, 17:30
If I couldn't get a BCM BCG I would get a DD.

Cameron

zachyv88
01-23-11, 17:41
awesome! thanks guys cant wait to place my order wendsday!

C4IGrant
01-23-11, 18:06

I would not say that the DD BCG is better.

C4

Travis B
01-23-11, 19:52
Go with the best price; it actually is an apples and apples argument.

Nefarious79
01-24-11, 14:46
Both are excellent, go with whichever you can get a better deal on.

5pins
01-24-11, 15:27
Have you considered an AR15 carrier? Grant has LMT’s on sale for $105.

Quentin
01-24-11, 18:09
I would not say that the DD BCG is better.

C4

Well I bought one from you and it was pretty darn good! :p

usmcvet
01-24-11, 19:00
Both are great companies with excellent Customer Service.

payj
01-25-11, 03:06
Go with either one. My preference would be bcm, but it is just personal. Nothing wrong with DD.

boomhower
01-25-11, 07:10
Get which ever is cheaper.

C4IGrant
01-25-11, 09:11
Well I bought one from you and it was pretty darn good! :p

Yes, but not better.

C4

Deaj
01-26-11, 18:32
Objectively, how does the current production Spike's Tactical BCG rate compared to DD and BCM (parkerized, not nickel boron)?

hunter123
01-26-11, 20:14
Objectively, how does the current production Spike's Tactical BCG rate compared to DD and BCM (parkerized, not nickel boron)?

I would only go with BCM or DD,they are proven.

BlueOvalFan
01-27-11, 23:27
First I'd ask which upper you have and if it was BCM or DD I'd buy from the same company. I'm weird like that I'd like to keep components matched.

I don't recall the specs on either, but I would opt for whichever has their's internally chromedlined. If there both are chromelined then my personal preferance would be DD.

Quentin
01-28-11, 13:00
First I'd ask which upper you have and if it was BCM or DD I'd buy from the same company. I'm weird like that I'd like to keep components matched.

I don't recall the specs on either, but I would opt for whichever has their's internally chromedlined. If there both are chromelined then my personal preferance would be DD.

I tend to agree. Even though it would perform just fine, having BCM plastered all over the carrier and highly visible would bug me when the upper is prominently marked by another manufacturer. That's why I got a Daniel Defense BCG since at the time it was unmarked and even today's marked ones aren't so in your face.

Really a small thing in the scheme of things but since it's a toss up which is better I let cosmetics be the deciding factor this time.

C4IGrant
01-28-11, 13:08
I tend to agree. Even though it would perform just fine, having BCM plastered all over the carrier and highly visible would bug me when the upper is prominently marked by another manufacturer. That's why I got a Daniel Defense BCG since at the time it was unmarked and even today's marked ones aren't so in your face.

Really a small thing in the scheme of things but since it's a toss up which is better I let cosmetics be the deciding factor this time.

Yes, VERY "small thing." Do you know why BCM marks their BCG's?

Do you also realize that you can remove the BCM logo?

C4

C4IGrant
01-28-11, 13:10

Yes, there is a name for it. It is call OCD! ;)

For me, I want NOTHING the same on my gun. Why? Because I want to pick and choose the best components from EVERY company out there.

C4

KalashniKEV
01-28-11, 21:06

How do you do that?

Quentin
01-29-11, 00:36

(from another post)
...For me, I want NOTHING the same on my gun. Why? Because I want to pick and choose the best components from EVERY company out there...

C4

I don't know except for product identification for the casual observer? But I suspect that for someone in the know, the unlogoed DD bolt and carrier that I bought from you can be ID'ed as Daniel Defense, not a counterfeit. And I suppose that's why DD now puts their 'DD' on the carrier. No doubt there is a deserved pride factor as well.

I didn't know you could easily remove the BCM logo, you'd think it would be pretty tough to remove or it wouldn't last on such a highly stressed part. Anyway, no problem here with the BCM logo, I love the company and buy from them and sure wouldn't remove their logo if I had bought their BCG!

Grant, now that would be fun to have a rifle with all the best names from the left of the Chart displayed prominently! ... Instead of what usually happens with low end mongrels getting BM, RRA, Oly, DPMS, UTG, etc. parts!

Dirtyboy333
01-29-11, 04:11

C4

No, why do they??? I kind of like the marking but i didnt know there was anything more to it besides advertising.

ForTehNguyen
01-29-11, 08:11
if the BCGs were not laser etched how would you know they are BCM or DD BCGs?

KalashniKEV
01-29-11, 08:17
No, why do they??? I kind of like the marking but i didnt know there was anything more to it besides advertising.

It's advertising.

If they were only concerned about forgeries, they would mark it in a less conspicuous place, at rear... or perhaps even the other side.

BCM has a lot of (well deserved) hype in the market right now, and guys want you to *know* that they rock BCM. For professional application, I wish they ran the option of unlogoed gear for the same price though.

That's why I'm curious as to how you can remove it... it's laser engraved, I thought?

Quentin
01-29-11, 10:34
I find it interesting that BCM does NOT bother to put their logo on their receiver extension/stock kits. I've bought two kits with the Gen2 M4 slider/H-buffer and no BCM logo anywhere. Plenty of room to advertise there!

Beat Trash
01-29-11, 13:24

C4

I am in the market for a new BCG for one of my guns. I don't want the logo. Can you scrub it off with bore cleaner?

C4IGrant
01-29-11, 13:35
How do you do that?

Steel wool and solvent.

C4

C4IGrant
01-29-11, 13:39
I don't know except for product identification for the casual observer? But I suspect that for someone in the know, the unlogoed DD bolt and carrier that I bought from you can be ID'ed as Daniel Defense, not a counterfeit. And I suppose that's why DD now puts their 'DD' on the carrier. No doubt there is a deserved pride factor as well.

Product identification for the MANUFACTURER, DEALER and CONSUMER.

DD BCG's are VERY hard to spot and I could have easily sold you a XYZ and you wouldn't have known.

There are many issues that go on with dealer selling parts at gun shows, claiming them to be one thing and the consumer not knowing the difference.

On the flip side, a customer breaks a bolt (or whatever) and wants a warranty repair. If they (the manufacturer) did not mark them in some way, they maybe fixing someone elses issue.

C4

C4IGrant
01-29-11, 13:41
It's advertising.

If they were only concerned about forgeries, they would mark it in a less conspicuous place, at rear... or perhaps even the other side.

BCM has a lot of (well deserved) hype in the market right now, and guys want you to *know* that they rock BCM. For professional application, I wish they ran the option of unlogoed gear for the same price though.

That's why I'm curious as to how you can remove it... it's laser engraved, I thought?

Right, because everyone is going to see that little BCM logo inside your receiver. :no:

C4

C4IGrant
01-29-11, 13:43
I find it interesting that BCM does NOT bother to put their logo on their receiver extension/stock kits. I've bought two kits with the Gen2 M4 slider/H-buffer and no BCM logo anywhere. Plenty of room to advertise there!

These are not high dollar and items AND are not typically worn out/broken like a Bolt/Carrier can be.

When you are messing with molds (like for stocks), it gets expensive to have your logo put in there and there really isn't needed.

I know that above line contradicts what people think about BCM wanting to advertise their name all over their rifles and parts, but it is the truth.

C4

C4IGrant
01-29-11, 13:45
I gotta say that I find it funny that people are concerned about three, light colored letters on their BCG, which resides INSIDE their receiver.

C4

Quentin
01-29-11, 16:33
... DD BCG's are VERY hard to spot and I could have easily sold you a XYZ and you wouldn't have known.

There are many issues that go on with dealer selling parts at gun shows, claiming them to be one thing and the consumer not knowing the difference.

On the flip side, a customer breaks a bolt (or whatever) and wants a warranty repair. If they (the manufacturer) did not mark them in some way, they may be fixing someone elses issue.

C4

That brings up another question, Grant. (Sorry!) I, like most people here, trust you and buy from you without hesitation. So I know the Daniel Defense BCG I bought from you is authentic even though it's an earlier one without DD's logo. No way would many of us here buy something like this from an unknown at a gun show.

Anyway, now the question - like you say, I can't tell it's a DD but I can tell it's a quality unit. But surely Daniel Defense can ID their BCGs, can't they? Or do they just look at the proof marks, staking, etc. and decide if a returned BCG is theirs?

I can see now it wouldn't be a bad idea to take close up pictures of my bolts and carriers so there's NO way I could get them mixed up. Hey maybe those three little letters are looking better all the time! :D

usmcvet
01-29-11, 19:14
I have two LMT uppers with BCM marked BCG's in them. I would not worry about what it says on the BCG just buy a good one. My dust cover is usually closed so the only one who knows is me but I wouldn't care if some one noticed.

polkhigh
01-29-11, 20:18
I gotta say that I find it funny that people are concerned about three, light colored letters on their BCG, which resides INSIDE their receiver.

C4

:agree: Well said.

Not sure why people are so concerned about what is on the BCG....Be it I am new to the AR platform in general, but I would be looking for things that are reliable and functional for how YOU intend to use it. If a BCG is purple in color and run 100%, that is what is going to be on my AR.

Dirtyboy333
01-29-11, 22:46
It's advertising.

thats true...kind of like how colt hides theirs....bcm's is def advertising...i have been saying for a long time that bcm has excellent marketing and i think this is just 1 more reason....i know some people dont want that logo but i would bet the vast majority do....if u have something of quality its human nature to want to flaunt it....with that said i love the bcm logo on mine even if my upper says "Daniel Defense" :p i will be ordering a DD bcg from Grant shortly to try and bring my other AR (Doublestar) more up to snuff. I've heard on here the machining on the DD is beautiful.

Fideo
01-29-11, 23:01
A lot of BCG's are made by separate companies any way and re-branded. As long as you are buying one from a reputable company I think you are good to go.

As for the branding marks... It is just advertising.

evolixsurf
01-30-11, 00:20
deleted

Dirtyboy333
01-30-11, 04:03
Gentlemen, I see Grants aggravation here. Its quite comical to see your responses. He is saying BCM is better, and I am willing to bet LMT(which I run) is equal. Those are likely the only bolts ill run from now on. Why? Because we run the hell out of them in courses and they keep on ticking. I just bought a BCM bolt as a backup. Go sign up for a course and bang up those safe queens. These guns are not made to sit in the safe with all parts matching. build the best gun with the best parts and run the hell out of it till you need to replace it. Put the parts through the paces yourself and see what you think.

Sorry, just venting.

i also have a mismatched carbine....i dont understand what ur trying to say??? But im willing to bet that a DD bolt could handle those classes as well as an lmt or bcm. Also, i didnt see grant say BCM is better. He said he doesnt think the DD is better than BCM. If thats what hes trying to say then it should be clearly stated.

KalashniKEV
01-30-11, 10:33
Put the parts through the paces yourself and see what you think.

Sorry, just venting.

There's no emotion here over the logo, so please don't be emotional in responding. If you want to compare training regimens, do it in another thread.

If the issue were ID alone, they would be blind marked. It's not like the logo is invisible, or else I wouldn't have noticed.

It's part of their marketing, and their entitled to it. I will say though that I got 2 great DD BCGs from Grant a while back specifically because I didn't want the Logo.

I also got my Lone Wolf barrel sans-cartoons. What can I say I'm just crazy like that...

Quentin
01-30-11, 10:51
Gentlemen, I see Grants aggravation here. Its quite comical to see your responses. He is saying BCM is better, and I am willing to bet LMT(which I run) is equal. Those are likely the only bolts ill run from now on. Why? Because we run the hell out of them in courses and they keep on ticking. I just bought a BCM bolt as a backup. Go sign up for a course and bang up those safe queens. These guns are not made to sit in the safe with all parts matching. build the best gun with the best parts and run the hell out of it till you need to replace it. Put the parts through the paces yourself and see what you think.

Sorry, just venting.

Other than you I haven't seen anyone say BCM is better than DD or vice versa. Did someone teach you different in your carbine class? If so please corroborate your claim. Anyway I doubt anyone's going to say one is better than the other, just different. And if the only meaningful differences comes down to cosmetic, then that's a good thing for all of us.

ETA:
Now LMT, that could be an issue since they tend to have an AR-15 carrier.

Freelance
01-30-11, 18:12
Yes, there is a name for it. It is call OCD! ;)

For me, I want NOTHING the same on my gun. Why? Because I want to pick and choose the best components from EVERY company out there.

C4

This is why I love Grant and G&R Tactical, couldn't have worded it better myself :)

654Boomer
01-30-11, 19:09

Greetings zachyv88,

I can only offer you my personal experience. First I have no Daniel Defense products nor have I ever used any. I do know that many here and elsewhere are great fans of their equipment.

I do however have experience with BCM. I am an extremely satisfied customer. I purchased, with some research, a BCM BCG, H-buffer, recoil spring, spare parts, etc. based upon solid recommendations from the people here at m4carbine.net.

The inherent quality of the BCM products and customer service I received from several orders from them were first class and far exceeded my expectations. I was stunned that they actually CONTACTED ME AND RETURNED A RESPONSE TO ME QUICKLY ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

There are not many organizations that I know that answer their Customer Service e-mail on a Sunday afternoon to ensure any questions from the customer are resolved. I have experienced First Class Service from each BCM order I have placed with them. A very professional staff who clearly undersands the customers needs and stands with the customer. Mind you, my questions were technical in nature and had nothing to do with the quality of the BCG, other purchased products, or their service. "Five Stars" in my book.

It matters not to me that the BCM logo is proudly displayed on my BCG; however, I do understand that it does matter to some, and I respect their specific needs and wants. No argument from me. I actually like the BCM logo on the BCG; to me it displays a symbol of BCM's high quality and customer service.

Good luck in your decision!

aflin
01-30-11, 19:28
Having BCM's logo on the BCG shouldn't be a problem to anyone.

If it is a problem...the problem belongs to Barfcom :)

Grrrr
01-30-11, 23:28

C4

honest question here.....why doesnt bcm mark their bolt carrier assembly. i know that the complete bcg that they sell is marked but if you order a carrier or carrier/w gas key they dont come marked. i ordered a carrier/ w gas key from them and it has no logo etched on it.

usmcvet
01-31-11, 04:29
If you buy an upper/no bbl it is the same was. I would. Say it is because it is not complete and they only out their name on complete uppers/bcg's.

C4IGrant
01-31-11, 08:57
honest question here.....why doesnt bcm mark their bolt carrier assembly. i know that the complete bcg that they sell is marked but if you order a carrier or carrier/w gas key they dont come marked. i ordered a carrier/ w gas key from them and it has no logo etched on it.

Most companies only mark complete products and not parts.

C4

Quentin
01-31-11, 09:28
I kinda think we're beating a dead horse here, maybe it's time to lock this thread as we're just rehashing now.

Grant, thanks for the info - as usual it's always interesting to read your posts! And to get a glimpse of all the exciting products that pass through your hands. I was just rereading your thread on pencil barrels and what a treasure trove of information. There's just no way most of us can see enough product to have the insight and knowledge that you do. Thank you for sharing that information!

Iraqgunz
01-31-11, 09:38
I agree. This is just rehasing silly stuff. Unless someone has a compelling reason to keep it open.....