PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca WW2 1911 value?

sabresbrs
01-23-11, 20:54
My brother has a 1943 Ithaca 1911 Serial number 1258428. What would a ball park figure of its value? Good condition considering the age of it. Thanks in advance for your time.

durus5995
01-23-11, 21:57
When it comes to evaluating WWII guns condition and story is everything. For example where did your brother get the 1911? Is it all matching? Any import stamps? How is the finish on the metal?

I know the prices can be a little skewed but here is an WWII Ithaca on gun broker and it has 7 bids on it and its up to $1000.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=212232399

This one might have been though a rebuild as the slide is Ithaca and the frame is marked FJA which stands for Colonel Frank J. Atwood who was an inspector at Remington during the war.

rdc0000
01-23-11, 22:24
I sold my fathers Ithaca 1911A1 with papers from DCM and got $1800 for it.

VHinch
01-23-11, 22:37
Depending on finish, condition, matching parts, etc. it could be anywhere from $600 to north of $2k. Detailed pictures, particularly of all markings, would help narrow it down. Also, that serial number puts it at 1944, not 1943.

ThirdWatcher
01-24-11, 01:37
When it comes to evaluating WWII guns condition and story is everything.

There is an old saying in the gun collection world: Buy the gun, not the story. (I'm not saying that consistent numbers and parts aren't important, but you have to keep your perspective.)

sabresbrs
01-24-11, 05:16
I will get him to take some pics to post on here. Thanks for the valuable insight so far.

durus5995
01-24-11, 12:47
There is an old saying in the gun collection world: Buy the gun, not the story. (I'm not saying that consistent numbers and parts aren't important, but you have to keep your perspective.)

You are absolutely right. Let me clarify my statement a bit. If you are at a gun show and are buying from a dealer then yeah take the story at face value and most likely would not increase the value of the gun.

However if you know that this was for example your grandfathers gun or if the gun came directly from a vet who carried a gun it will increase the value IMO.

D. Christopher
01-25-11, 03:15
I know the prices can be a little skewed but here is an WWII Ithaca on gun broker and it has 7 bids on it and its up to $1000.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=212232399

This one might have been though a rebuild as the slide is Ithaca and the frame is marked FJA which stands for Colonel Frank J. Atwood who was an inspector at Remington during the war.

That pistol is an Ithaca slide on a Remington Rand receiver but it has none of the usual arsenal rebuild marks and is probably just a mixmaster someone put together after the pistol was in civilian hands. Not all arsenal rebuilds were stamped but most were. Also both Remington Rand and Ithaca were in the district overseen by Col. Frank J. Atwood and his inspection stamp (FJA) will be found on both Ithaca and Remington Rand pistol receivers. Col Atwood was the XO in charge of ordnance in his district and while his mark was on many weapons accepted by the U.S. Govt., he didn't actually inspect pistols. Also don't confuse Remington with Remington Rand, as they are two very different companies.

CAVDOC
01-28-11, 09:34
mixmasters will generally be valued in the 600-900 range if in excellent condition and unmodified from GI form. If any modes(grip stippling, marking removed, adjustable sights fitted reblued, value totally tanks

krm375
01-28-11, 09:54
what about the value of a lend lease gun? Ithaca all matching, with british proof marks, purchased in a gun shop in Germany?

CAVDOC
01-29-11, 11:07
condition being equal a lend lease gun will sell for the same or just marginally less than non lend lease.