PDA

View Full Version : VA bill to regulate magazine capacity

Littlelebowski
01-24-11, 10:56
Richmond residents, you need to do something about this crap )I'm sure that you are). Betsy Carr needs to leave!

Bill (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?111+ful+HB2524)

2011 SESSION
history | hilite | pdf | print version
11104187D
HOUSE BILL NO. 2524
Offered January 21, 2011
A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 18.2-309.1, relating to prohibition of sale of certain firearms magazines.
----------
Patrons-- Carr, BaCote, Englin, Hope, James, McQuinn, Surovell and Toscano
----------
Committee Referral Pending
----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 18.2-309.1 as follows:

§ 18.2-309.1. Sale of certain firearms magazines; penalty.

Anyone who sells, barters, or transfers any firearms magazine that is designed to hold 20 or more rounds of ammunition is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Skyyr
01-24-11, 12:31
Wow. It's not even a felony.

Like that law will work.

GermanSynergy
01-24-11, 13:24
So will VA residents go to NC for their 20+ rd mags now?

Tell her she needs to move about 100 miles north where that law is in effect...

kal
01-24-11, 13:28
Wow. It's not even a felony.

Like that law will work.

So if it was a felony it would work?

And why should a person be labeled a felon and have their rights taken away for and action that did not harm another human being?

Skyyr
01-24-11, 13:47
So if it was a felony it would work?

And why should a person be labeled a felon and have their rights taken away for and action that did not harm another human being?

What I mean is, the law at most results in a misdemeanor for violators and addresses nothing about ownership, simply transfer. Consider someone who buys several mags and and claims they were from "before the ban." At worst they'll end up doing community service and even if they lose their magazines, they can buy more and most likely get away with it, if not, well, then there's more trash pickup.

It's stupid. If you're going to go out of your way to trample the Constitution, freaking go all the way, don't make up some BS feel-good law that can't even be enforced.

Heavy Metal
01-26-11, 18:58
Sounds like the Maryland law.

Immaterial, will not come close to passing the VA legislature.

Redmanfms
01-26-11, 21:15
Sounds like the Maryland law.

Immaterial, will not come close to passing the VA legislature.

In the off chance it does, McDonnell will veto.

Should this bill go anywhere I'll be writing my delegate and the governor anyway.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-26-11, 21:20
If it was inacted it would not change anything in my opnion. Here in NY everyone uses 30 round mags and I personaly have never seen or heard of anyone in my area getting in trouble. Of course that dosent make it right and most shops dont stock them but the net ships them here.

Magic_Salad0892
01-27-11, 04:46
This is un-American. We need to put an end to this.