PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 sps tactical prices

Dfarmer786
01-24-11, 12:35
Cabelas has this rifle In 223 and 308 for 549$ this is the cheapest I've seen it does anyone had better prices? I'm buying within the next two weeks

Bionic Dead
01-24-11, 13:05
Cabelas has this rifle In 223 and 308 for 549$ this is the cheapest I've seen it does anyone had better prices? I'm buying within the next two weeks Thats a good price. Not sure you'll find much better than that.

OutlawDon
01-24-11, 13:59
Good price. Go for it.

Nefarious79
01-24-11, 14:38
Depending upon your local transfer fees and if you are willing to wait a week or two it may be cheaper to buy online and pay the transfer fee vs. paying tax. Also I think remington has a $75 rebate out now for the 700's.

DJK
01-24-11, 16:57
Depending upon your local transfer fees and if you are willing to wait a week or two it may be cheaper to buy online and pay the transfer fee vs. paying tax. Also I think remington has a $75 rebate out now for the 700's.

It looks like the rebate is just for the varmint version.

Blayglock
01-24-11, 17:00
www.budsgunshop.com

They have them for $550 including free shipping.

longball
01-24-11, 21:30
It looks like the rebate is just for the varmint version.

Correct.

Zanshin
01-24-11, 21:48
If you are going to buy soon (the fall remmy rebate will probably cover far more rifles), consider the SPS varmint over the SPS tactical for the price ($75 rebate). The actions are identical. The barrels are identical profile, only the tactical is 20 inch and the varmint is 26 inch. The stocks are different, but both are destined to be swapped out for something better anyway. Save yourself $75 and get the longer barrel. Or not if you really want the 20 inch barrel.

Dfarmer786
01-25-11, 19:38
Too late I went today because I was in town and they are sold out :(

BCmJUnKie
01-26-11, 15:18
Is it the bull barrel? Or standard.

goneballistic
01-26-11, 21:05
that's about as cheap as you'll see them new. I got mine for 549 when I bought it.

the same thing happened to me, they ran out but they got more in later. they're not too hard to find. I've loved mine, super accurate but it needs a bigger bolt handle. too small for my hands. great gun though

CobraBG
01-31-11, 17:31
I was considering the same at the Cabela's in Hamburg PA. They have had the SPS Tactical on sale for that price twice in the past 2 months. The last sale ended 1/30. I'm sure it will be on sale again soon.

I ended up buying a new safe... something I've needed for some time.

Littlelebowski
01-31-11, 18:13
it needs a bigger bolt handle. too small for my hands.

Problem solved! (http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/boltlift.php)

readyme
02-04-11, 14:51
If you are going to buy soon (the fall remmy rebate will probably cover far more rifles), consider the SPS varmint over the SPS tactical for the price ($75 rebate). The actions are identical. The barrels are identical profile, only the tactical is 20 inch and the varmint is 26 inch. The stocks are different, but both are destined to be swapped out for something better anyway. Save yourself $75 and get the longer barrel. Or not if you really want the 20 inch barrel.

I too am looking at getting a new 308 and the SPS Tactical has caught my eye.
So, from what I can tell, the Varmint is blued vs black, and the action and barrel are identical other than the 20" vs 26" and the Tactical has a bedded stock?
Out of all of this, the bedded stock of the Tactical seems to be the only real difference. All else is a toss up, and I could have the 26" cut down at a later date if I really wanted.
The Varmint is $547 and with the $75 rebate, that makes it pretty competative.

Thoughts from all of you? I will be the first to admit I know very little about rifles...this will be my first besides my 22.

austinN4
02-04-11, 15:14
Out of all of this, the bedded stock of the Tactical seems to be the only real difference.
I do not believe the SPS Tac is bedded. It is in a cheap, flimsy Houge stock.

All else is a toss up, and I could have the 26" cut down at a later date if I really wanted. The Varmint is $547 and with the $75 rebate, that makes it pretty competative.
And it will cost you how much to get the Var cut down and recrowned? And the time and trouble to do it? Just so you can get a $75 rebate?

You asked for an opinion, so here one is - get a 20" SPS Tac for $550 and skip the rebate.

readyme
02-04-11, 15:57
I do not believe the SPS Tac is bedded. It is in a cheap, flimsy Houge stock..

It is indead in a Hogue, but the Remington website says it is "pillar bedded".

And it will cost you how much to get the Var cut down and recrowned? And the time and trouble to do it? Just so you can get a $75 rebate?

You asked for an opinion, so here one is - get a 20" SPS Tac for $550 and skip the rebate.

Well, when you put it that way... I agree with you.

Nefarious79
02-04-11, 16:34
I have a Tac AAC-SD, with the same POS hogue stock. It is pillar bedded but its next to worthless considering how flimsy the stock is and the fact that its not free floated. Still I put 5 shots in a sub 1in group @ 100yds with Federal American Eagle 168 OTM with mine.

If the hogue stock didnt have the aluminum pillars and you tried to tighten the action to the stock the screws would just be pulled through the stock like a nail through a tire.

readyme
02-05-11, 00:01
I have a Tac AAC-SD, with the same POS hogue stock. It is pillar bedded but its next to worthless considering how flimsy the stock is and the fact that its not free floated. Still I put 5 shots in a sub 1in group @ 100yds with Federal American Eagle 168 OTM with mine.

If the hogue stock didnt have the aluminum pillars and you tried to tighten the action to the stock the screws would just be pulled through the stock like a nail through a tire.

Given that everyone seems to agree the Hogue stock is a POS, what is a good stock that is "economical"... as in not a ton o' cash?

Merle
02-05-11, 00:33
Given that everyone seems to agree the Hogue stock is a POS, what is a good stock that is "economical"... as in not a ton o' cash?
Bell and Carlson Medalist tactical stock.

Nefarious79
02-05-11, 04:25

This, but even those are rough compared to take off HS precision stocks which can be had for about the same money. Depending upon your preference you might even consider the Choate tactical stocks, they are decent but often get overlooked.

austinN4
02-05-11, 07:57
This would be my vote for an inexpensive replacement for the Hogue that comes on the SPS Tac.

Littlelebowski
02-05-11, 09:54
I researched this on the Hide. The HS Precision is an upgrade over the Hogue since it is readily obvious that slight amount of pressure on the forearm of the stock will cause it to touch the barrel, throwing off repeatability.

The HS Precision is a worthy and cost effective upgrade. I ended up going with the Bell and Carlson 1000 stock which is rated higher than the HS P here (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=205429). Both stocks can be found used in good condition for good prices on the Equipment Exchange here and at Snipers Hide (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=39&page=1).

I just installed the excellent Bolt Lift (http://kineticresearchgroup.com/products/boltlift.php) as seen below. Looking forward to the stock arriving.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/5aa7b4c3.jpg

8200rpm
02-05-11, 13:05
When upgrading from the Hogue, I don't think there's a significant difference between the standard Medalist B&C and a take-off H-S Precision.

Where you will notice a difference is the profile of the stock. After trying out the B&C Medalist, I think I would prefer the vertical pistol grip Tactical type stock. Shooting from prone with the standard profile stock, my hand just hangs off wrist.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9232/img5822a.jpg

vs.

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/images/uploads/Rem_SA_Medalist_2092-97.jpg (http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=98)

It's less about brand names, more about function and ergonomics. The B&C Tactical is practically the same price as the standard Medalist stock (~$220). So between a take-off H-S Precision (5R, Sendero, PSS, LTR, etc.) and a Tactical profile B&C, the B&C is the ergonomically better stock for me.

readyme
02-05-11, 17:25
Where you will notice a difference is the profile of the stock. After trying out the B&C Medalist, I think I would prefer the vertical pistol grip Tactical type stock. Shooting from prone with the standard profile stock, my hand just hangs off wrist.

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/images/uploads/Rem_SA_Medalist_2092-97.jpg (http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=98)

It's less about brand names, more about function and ergonomics. The B&C Tactical is practically the same price as the standard Medalist stock (~$220). So between a take-off H-S Precision (5R, Sendero, PSS, LTR, etc.) and a Tactical profile B&C, the B&C is the ergonomically better stock for me.

I think I would have to agree with you. My wrist simply likes a vertical pistol grip. I recently tried out a pistol grip on my 870 and it is awesome. Thanks.

Merle
02-09-11, 13:22
I think I would have to agree with you. My wrist simply likes a vertical pistol grip. I recently tried out a pistol grip on my 870 and it is awesome. Thanks.
I agree. The stock is comfortable for sure. I have the same one in black.

Deputyrpa
02-09-11, 20:46
I just bought a SPS Tactical (20" barrel) for $550 from a local gun shop. I got a discount because it was a surprise gift from me and staff to a young Veteran who worked as a wildlife seasonal for us. He ended up after 10 years of service as a SF sniper with 5 tours, many wounds and two Purple Hearts. The Army lost his mil issue 700 when they shipped his stuff back. Unquestionably, I had to do it. It was awesome to see his face - we all got bear-hugs. I slapped a spare Simmons on it just so he could shoot it the next day, but I am awaiting a Nitrex TR2 2-10 x 50 that I ordered from Natchez (They were out of the 3-15s). That's decent glass at a great price.

At my range, Sgt Emlaw and I both shot sub-MOA groups off the bench (and a seat cover!) consistently with Federal 180 gr. (not match). We were both pleased with the out-of-the-box performance with mediocre hunting ammo. I bought him several different types of match ammo for this Saturday.

In my hands, the 20" Tactical has a much better balance than the 26" Varmint. Emlaw agreed that a longer barrel would be less comfortable for civy/hunting uses. The 20" is just enough barrel to effectively utilize the burn, and some folks say it's the most accurate of the lengths offered. Hmmm...... IMHO, and in an experts opinion, go with the 20" Tactical.

I like that bolt lift, Littleleboski. That bolt handle is even small for me.