PDA

View Full Version : LWRC Old School Stock

panzerr
01-24-11, 13:48
Check out the stock on this LWRC. It's like the old school M4 stock. I dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY8njXxcUEU&feature=player_embedded

scottryan
01-24-11, 16:58
Not on board.

This has to use a shortened buffer tube and related components which are unproven components that will create a reliability liability.

I also doubt it will weigh less than an old style Colt plastic stock.

d90king
01-24-11, 17:03
Not on board.

This has to use a shortened buffer tube and related components which are unproven components that will create a reliability liability.

Could the piston system help overcome those issues in reliability and thats why it would work well on their rifles...?

panzerr
01-24-11, 17:14
Not on board.

I don't see why a guy couldn't use a standard length tube with that stock. It won't collapse all of the way, but that is no big deal to me.

Todd.K
01-24-11, 18:41

It's easy to shorten the system about 1.5" without changing the spring or buffer size. Shorter than that and you are looking at less buffer and a spring redesign with the above concerns.

jbo723
01-24-11, 19:08
One thing I saw that I like was the fact that the LWRC had an ambi bolt catch/release.

Littlelebowski
01-24-11, 19:31
One thing I saw that I like was the fact that the LWRC had an ambi bolt catch/release.

Delete, wrong thread.

JChops
01-25-11, 01:04
Looks nothing like the old-school Colt stock to me.

Looks like a mini-SOPMOD.

Iraqgunz
01-25-11, 02:27
THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS.

Did I hear correctly that it has to use proprietary magazines because they changed the lower dimensions slightly? Wht the hell were they thinking? As if there aren't enough "proprietary" things on todays market.

Magic_Salad0892
01-25-11, 02:33
Iraq Gunz, I don't think you heard properly.

LWRCi is manufacturing their own (polymer) 30 round magazines in 6.8x43mm.

Nothing more.

PatrolRifleGroup
01-25-11, 05:16
Actualy, Iraqgunz is correct. One of their executives commented on the LWRC forums. They changed the dimensions of the magazine to improve the function. Apparently, they can now fit 30 6.8SPC catridges into a magazine, with better feeding in terms of the 6.8.

I may have been reading between the lines, but they alluded that they have obtained several large (overseas) contracts which will keep them busy for years to come. He also stated that with a slightly larger 6.8 magazine, means that you can't inadvertantly stick a 5.56 magazine, in units that run both calibers side by side. He stated that they were working with Barrett to develop the new magazines.

Bottom line, there will be proprietary magazines for their new PSD.

MistWolf
01-25-11, 05:18

Did I hear correctly that it has to use proprietary magazines because they changed the lower dimensions slightly? Wht the hell were they thinking? As if there aren't enough "proprietary" things on todays market.

According to the vid, the walls of the polymer mag are thicker so they made the mag-well wider to fit. It did sound like he said "One of the first things you're going to run into is the proprietary magazine"

Mac5.56
01-25-11, 05:39

Yes you heard that. I almost spit my coffee out when I heard that. Didn't even make it through the end of the video.

panzerr
01-25-11, 08:13
http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/lwrc.JPG

Looks like a newer, better version of the old school colt carbine stock to me. I was happy to find one for my M4 during my time in Iraq. The smaller 'butt' made it easier to use when wearing kit. I will have to get my hands on one of these.

87GN
01-25-11, 09:11
I shot the video, and the mag is, as he stated, proprietary/larger/requires a new magwell.

The magazine itself did look quite solid, though it was an early prototype.

I would think that a foreign military might not care about such things (especially if they did not already have M4 platform weapons), while the US civilian market definitely would.

10mmAuto
01-25-11, 09:36
That buffer system looks terrifyingly short.

Coleslaw
01-25-11, 10:18
Seems like allot of work to gain two rounds, at least that is what I think I heard. Currently available mags hold 28rds while these hold 30? I guess if they had to meet a requirment it makes sense, otherwise why bother? Also seems like allot of work solely to use polymer mags. I suppose meeting a requirment applies here also.

If that is what they gotta do to keep working, God bless 'em.

d90king
01-25-11, 10:28
I believe that the 6.8 mag system is centered around their Jordanian military contract and not the US civilian market.

variablebinary
01-25-11, 10:49
I like the small stock and ambi controls. This project is most likely for Jordan and not the MOD, which requires a 5.56 weapon and NATO mag

Iraqgunz
01-25-11, 14:28
That's what I thought. So basically you would have to use their magazines or nothing.

According to the vid, the walls of the polymer mag are thicker so they made the mag-well wider to fit. It did sound like he said "One of the first things you're going to run into is the proprietary magazine"

Magic_Salad0892
01-25-11, 16:23
Oh. I was wrong.

LWRCi just went HK on us.

In 6.8 it doesn't bother me much, if 5.56x45mm can use standard USGI mags.

I wouldn't choose a weapon based on it's magazine.

R4 fan
01-26-11, 00:27
I'm glad that LWRC is making a proprietary lower and magazines for the 6.8. I understand that for cost savings, having a 6.8 upper that fits on a 5.56 lower which uses the same dimension magazines is a plus. I'd rather have a magazine that was specifically designed for the 6.8 round, with the rifle to match (reliability). The ability to use both the 5.56 and 6.8 uppers and magazines on a 5.56 lower isn't a selling point for me. After they come out, you can bet that numerous other companies will follow their lead.

The only negatives I can see for this new platform is for anyone who has already invested money in the current platform. Most likely from the fear that their rifles/magazines will become outdated or obsolete.

I'm glad that LWRC is constantly raising the bar on the AR platform, which is forcing everyone else to follow. :dance3:

EBAM1A
01-26-11, 06:30
I'm glad that LWRC is making a proprietary lower and magazines for the 6.8 also.I have been looking in to getting a 6.8 ar but with the reliability issues with the current magazine offerings I have not bought one. Having a magazine that was specifically designed for the 6.8 round is a key selling feature for me. I hope other companies will follow their lead.

randolph
01-26-11, 09:27
If y'all work for LWRC, you have to disclose that in your post. :haha:

I'm glad that LWRC is making a proprietary lower and magazines for the 6.8. I understand that for cost savings, having a 6.8 upper that fits on a 5.56 lower which uses the same dimension magazines is a plus. I'd rather have a magazine that was specifically designed for the 6.8 round, with the rifle to match (reliability). The ability to use both the 5.56 and 6.8 uppers and magazines on a 5.56 lower isn't a selling point for me. After they come out, you can bet that numerous other companies will follow their lead.

The only negatives I can see for this new platform is for anyone who has already invested money in the current platform. Most likely from the fear that their rifles/magazines will become outdated or obsolete.

I'm glad that LWRC is constantly raising the bar on the AR platform, which is forcing everyone else to follow. :dance3:

I'm glad that LWRC is making a proprietary lower and magazines for the 6.8 also.I have been looking in to getting a 6.8 ar but with the reliability issues with the current magazine offerings I have not bought one. Having a magazine that was specifically designed for the 6.8 round is a key selling feature for me. I hope other companies will follow their lead.

GlockWRX
01-26-11, 09:44
Ahhhh. So if you have a positive outlook of LWRC or any of their products you must be working for them?

This site is so stupid sometimes.

R4 fan
01-26-11, 11:15
Ahhhh. So if you have a positive outlook of LWRC or any of their products you must be working for them?

You beat me to it. I've been a member here since 2009, but mostly lurking here and there. I WISH I worked for LWRC, but I don't. I don't understand all the LWRC bashing, when they are the main AR manufacturer that is constantly making new quality AR stuff, that everyone else is copying?

I have owned and shot DI AR's for many years (and at work), and got rid of all my DI stuff and was sticking with the FAL and AK. I now own a LWRC 5.56 M6A3 and a 7.62 REPR, and am very happy with them.

So if LWRC is reading this and wants to hire me, I'll gladly work for firearms! :lol:

rob_s
01-26-11, 12:36
A gun company saying "we have foreign military contracts" is right up there with a metal band saying "we're huge in Europe".

panzerr
01-26-11, 12:43
A gun company saying "we have foreign military contracts" is right up there with a metal band saying "we're huge in Europe".

Two words: 'the Hoff'

http://robotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/david-hasselhoff.jpg

d90king
01-26-11, 13:14

Rob, they were awarded a Jordanian royal contract of some sort... Poke around you can find the release from Jordan. Jordan I believe is opening a facility to build LWRCI rifles for Royal protection detail....

It has been a while since I read it.... Here is a link... Kinda a weird setup but I assume that is a way to get around imports...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefirearmblog.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F05%2F13%2Flwrc-rifles-to-be-license-produced-in-jordan%2F&rct=j&q=lwrc%20jordanian%20contract&ei=bm1ATdnxE8PKgQfF4YCvAw&usg=AFQjCNFEybFXRCeJRjm54Msl-fqoB_VSXQ

AggiePhil
04-28-11, 14:41
Any news on whether or not this updated PSD will be available in the US?

Bowser
04-28-11, 20:24
I like that stock. It's hard to find a decently priced N-1 Colt stock.

Ak44
04-28-11, 20:31
No real release date from my understanding and that it'll probably be available towards the end of this year or early next year. But who knows...it took them awhile to get the SABR/REPR finally out the door. I'm sure they also are stocking up on their proprietary mags before letting this thing out on the shelves.

huntsimp
04-28-11, 20:39
Rob, they were awarded a Jordanian royal contract of some sort... Poke around you can find the release from Jordan. Jordan I believe is opening a facility to build LWRCI rifles for Royal protection detail....

It has been a while since I read it.... Here is a link... Kinda a weird setup but I assume that is a way to get around imports...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefirearmblog.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F05%2F13%2Flwrc-rifles-to-be-license-produced-in-jordan%2F&rct=j&q=lwrc%20jordanian%20contract&ei=bm1ATdnxE8PKgQfF4YCvAw&usg=AFQjCNFEybFXRCeJRjm54Msl-fqoB_VSXQ

I think his point (and a valid one at that) is that no US contracts have been awarded to LWRC, which might say something...

Reagans Rascals
04-28-11, 21:00
I really like the shortened buffer tube, and love the idea of having ping pong paddles on both sides instead of trying to run a BAD lever or just an ambi release. The only thing on this platform that would possibly scare me away would be the 6.8 and proprietary mags. When the shtf and I need a mag from someone next to me I'm pretty much sol unless they've shelled out the same cash for a PSD. Would buy it right now if it was available in 5.56 with standard mags.

However... the SCAR 17s uses proprietary mags and we don't see anyone shying away from it...

txn
04-29-11, 02:04
I think his point (and a valid one at that) is that no US contracts have been awarded to LWRC, which might say something...

The DEA uses LWRC for some applications. Iraqgunz posted something about him seeing a DEA team using them in a thread. The reviews seemed to be a mixed bag. Not sure about the particulars of the acquistion of them though.

LWRC did make a deal with anniston army depot to build their weapons, and they are putting their rifle into the improved carbine comp. Whether or not anything comes from that is just speculation.

We can argue DI/piston all day and in my short time here I have read through god knows how many threads about it. But competition drives the market... if better products come from it, great.

Boss Hogg
04-29-11, 05:09

This. It seems that this has become particularly acute in the last year

rob_s
04-29-11, 05:43

Not for nothing, but there also seems to have been an exponential increase in "bloggers" getting freebies from all sorts of companies in exchange for spamming the shit out of the forums and getting very upset when called on it, typically falling back on "you're insulting my integrity!" :blink:

Combine that with the slew of established bloggers and writers that do the same thing and it starts to breed paranoia in the readership, who may over-react in some cases.

CaptainDooley
04-29-11, 07:50

I believe the issue is that they both started their post with the exact same sentence - word for word - which made it feel like a scripted line they were given.

Add to that reports that LWRC has used shills in the past, and it's easy to see where people would get the idea.

RustedAce
04-29-11, 08:00
Not for nothing, but there also seems to have been an exponential increase in "bloggers" getting freebies from all sorts of companies in exchange for spamming the shit out of the forums and getting very upset when called on it, typically falling back on "you're insulting my integrity!" :blink:

Combine that with the slew of established bloggers and writers that do the same thing and it starts to breed paranoia in the readership, who may over-react in some cases.

Yep. It gets a tad annoying.

CaptainDooley
04-29-11, 12:16
Yep. It gets a tad annoying.

It is annoying. I want free gear too - and I'm willing to be annoying about it! :sarcastic:

Seriously, it's a drain and most people never see past it, so all they get in the way of "reviews" are basically paid advertisements - it's like the gun rags only more insidious.

Magic_Salad0892
04-29-11, 13:04
Add to that reports that LWRC has used shills in the past, and it's easy to see where people would get the idea.

Leitner Wise Rifle Company used shills, and dick tactics to sell crappy rifles.

Land Warfare Research Company builds a quality product. (if not un-practical and overpriced, I'd rather have it than an MR 556A1)

The new owners are much better people to deal with.