PDA

View Full Version : Upper questions

nynco
01-24-11, 14:54
I am trying to decide between uppers right now. I can't afford to feed the riffle match grade ammo all the time. So my question is between these items which will fire better groups with 62grain ammo?

I have narrowed it down to about 3 or 4.

Noveski 18" Rogue Hunter 5.56mm for 970 (1/7 twist)
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=18rh-556&cat=124&page=1&search=&since=&status=

There is a local guy to me selling a Larue upper for about the same price. Its a 20 inch though for 970 (1/8 twist)
LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System LT011
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100

Rainier Arms UltraMatch Upper - SPR 18.5 for 1195 (1/8 twist)
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1162

BCM SS410 18" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC TRX 13" Handguard 1/8 Twist for 870 (with bolt)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

Or I could build a custom upper per your recommendations too. With something like a Krieger, Lilja or White Oak Armory barrel. I am not afraid to work on things. I put the lower together fast with no issues even without the special tool for the front take down pin. That was a pain till I figured out to use some medical clamps from my old Army Medic bag.

So I guess my question revolves around quality. What can shoot non match grade ammo best (for practice reasons)? What will last the longest too? I know that all of them will shoot well with higher grain match grade. Which I will use from time to time. I just can't afford to feed it the premium stuff all the time. I also plan to get into 3 gun comp in the future. There are a lot of those comps around where I live. So it would be fun to try and get into that. I worry that the Noveske 1/7 twist will not work well with some of the lower grade practice ammo.

I am mating this to a Spykes tactical lower with a Magpul CTR stock and grip. I plan to upgrade my trigger group eventually as funds become available. But for now I am using the lower parts kit from Palmetto Armory. Which, thank you to the forum people here for directing me to them.

I know accuracy has a lot to do with skill. I plan to practice as much as I can to improve. I just want to start out with a great platform that I don't need to upgrade on later.

Thanks

Travis B
01-24-11, 15:43
First of all you need to figure out what you're going to be doing with this gun. You have barrel lengths from 16" to 20", which have many different applications. Also, do you want a heavy gun or something on the lighter side? I recommend deciding your barrel length and weight (give us some ideas of what you see this gun doing and some people on here will give you pointers) and going from there.

And as a general note, stainless barrels are more accurate but burn out more quickly. Also, normally longer barrels are more accurate at longer distances (more muzzle velocity).

nynco
01-24-11, 15:52
I prefer an 18 in. Seems the best compromise. I have a range nearby that is a 600 meter. But I can be persuaded to either 16 or 20. There are also service comps there that I have taken part in before. The local club did not have rigid rules so it was pretty open. So as long as it was something that was service related you could shoot it. Which meant custom AR's and M1A's. But I also plan on trying to get into some 3 gun stuff. I really just don't have money to buy more than one rifle at this time. So I am looking for a top quality do all. Which, I know is asking for a miracle. But I realize that. I just want to build a great 5.56 and then put money towards a 308 AR next. Then maybe later build a lower cost chrome lined barrel AR after.

Truth is, I can not afford to only feed it match grade. One lesson I have learned in life is to buy the best you can the first time. Spend more money upfront and it will save you money in the long run. Every time I go against that wisdom, I kick myself. But I also know that I can build anything with my hands so why buy a complete riffle? Its more fun to build and learn too.

So I understand that barrel length is not always relevant to accuracy. But it does make a difference at range.

nynco
01-24-11, 15:56
Sorry, I also noticed a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. I meant to put a 18in Bravo company upper but linked to the 16 by mistake. I changed it though. Sorry to make it confusing.

Iraqgunz
01-24-11, 16:12
A 16" barrel will also hit targets at 600M if you do your job and have the proper ammo and set up.

I prefer an 18 in. Seems the best compromise. I have a range nearby that is a 600 meter. But I can be persuaded to either 16 or 20. There are also service comps there that I have taken part in before. The local club did not have rigid rules so it was pretty open. So as long as it was something that was service related you could shoot it. Which meant custom AR's and M1A's. But I also plan on trying to get into some 3 gun stuff. I really just don't have money to buy more than one rifle at this time. So I am looking for a top quality do all. Which, I know is asking for a miracle. But I realize that. I just want to build a great 5.56 and then put money towards a 308 AR next. Then maybe later build a lower cost chrome lined barrel AR after.

Truth is, I can not afford to only feed it match grade. One lesson I have learned in life is to buy the best you can the first time. Spend more money upfront and it will save you money in the long run. Every time I go against that wisdom, I kick myself. But I also know that I can build anything with my hands so why buy a complete riffle? Its more fun to build and learn too.

So I understand that barrel length is not always relevant to accuracy. But it does make a difference at range.

nynco
01-24-11, 18:37
I guess I was leaning more towards the 18in SPR because I can get a riffle length gas system. Which means a softer pulse and faster back on target acquisition.

nynco
01-25-11, 10:27
So no one has experience with any of these uppers?