PDA

View Full Version : AR Rails/Tubes with FSB pockets

EmanP
01-24-11, 19:35
Has anyone ever used a rail with a front sight tower pocket cut out of it? I was looking at reconfiguring a carbine with a longer system since 7" rails are pretty lacking and was looking at either the JP rail with the extension or the DD offering with a cut out for the FSB. I wish someone had one that was local so I could try out but I'm not so lucky.

What has me wondering is if there is enough space there once you put a light (not X300 type) on the very front top of it. Will you burn the underside of your thumb on the sight tower when it gets hot or the underside of it by the bayonet lug? I know I've seen others like Vickers running them in videos and pictures but they always have a vert grip just under the FSB. If one doesn't or wouldn't use a vert grip, how does it work out? Anyone run one for awhile with feedback?

Dos Cylindros
01-24-11, 21:24
I had a carbine length upper with a Troy MRF-CX and really liked it. I sold it off, only because I decided to go a different direction. The MRF-CX is a great rail, and it is a drop in free float as opposed to the DD rail, though it is a bit heavier than the DD offering. If I had a second carbine, it would be in this configuration.

I didn't have any issues with the hot FSB, and I don't use a VFG. The rail configuration gave me all the room I needed for hand placement, plus more out in front of the FSB to moun the light out of the way.

strambo
01-24-11, 22:06
I just got mine, haven't run it hard yet. I don't see that being an issue though. Mine is a mid-length so there is a little more room. The rail covers make it really hard to get burned though, you'd have to work at it!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/guns/DSCN1674.jpg

EmanP
01-26-11, 08:54
Thanks for the input. Anyone else?