PDA

View Full Version : EGW scope base? Good to go or go for the Leupold?

xHDPx
01-25-11, 00:04
Im getting all I need for my Winchester model 70 stealth to be a nice precision rifle but Im working on a budget. Is the EGW base any good? Its 40 dollars on midway while the Leupold is 110-120ish. I am willing to spend the extra on the Leupold but would get the EGW if you guys convince me its gtg. Thanks for all help, Hunter

carbinero
01-25-11, 18:02
EGW is a commonly recommended good entry level base. They also offer many, many other models, including a long f-class one. I do not prefer the $40 one, due to its tiny aluminum edges, rather than full width rails--altho, again, many people do and like them, especially for the price. I do not have experience with expensive bases, but if you are considering $100 for a Loopy, you should certainly check out Seekins, Warne, and Badger. If you want to split the difference, check out EGW's heavy duty version or TPS. You may also be interested in bedding the base with epoxy. Let us know how it goes.

d90king
01-25-11, 18:34
EGW is producing outstanding quality rifle parts. Snoop around on the Hide and you will find that the guys who are not shilling a certain brand that they have received overwhelming strong feedback and reviews. A friend of mine also bought a set of rings for his Savage build and has been very pleased with them. I was also impressed with the quality when I had the chance to really check them out. They are FAR from just okay or entry level rings.

George at EGW has been producing the FINEST parts for years and has an outstanding reputation for quality. His 1911 parts are considered amongst the very best by MOST of the master 1911 smiths in the industry. Just go to LTW and read some build sheets and you will probably see George's parts on virtually every one of them.

I don't think you would see guys using their rings when they basically cost the same as Seekins... Not to mention guys are running them on much higher end glass than a $400 Leupy's.

Buy with confidence and if you are not happy with the quality I BET George would refund your money no questions asked.

Best of luck in your search.

I have ZERO affiliation with George or EGW. I have toured his facility and that it.

number1olddog
01-25-11, 18:44
Im not sure if they make them for your rifle but you might want to check out the Nightforce base. It's very nice on my Savage 10FP.

dragbone
01-25-11, 19:36
I had one on a 10FP in 20MOA,not a bad base but you take a chance if you get good screws.One screw broke off and I called EGW and they sent me 4 new one's,great customer service and no more issues with the screws,,,I think at one time the had a bad run with the screws.

TPS makes a nice base and IMO I would bed the base to the rifle just to true it up,all actions are some what not true to the base and is a easy job with bedding compound.

xHDPx
01-25-11, 19:51
How would I go about "bedding the base with epoxy"? I am completely new to this.

dragbone
01-25-11, 20:33
I've always had good luck with Marine Tex and if you use it make sure you get it in the grey.You can pick some up at your local boating supply.

Do a Google search on bedding rifle stocks and you can also check Youtube,if your a DIY person you should have fun with this project and it helps with the accuracy of your rifle.

carbinero
01-26-11, 19:48
Here is one example: http://www.kenfarrell.com/instruction.html

You should also be able to Google up the procedure on figuring out which end to bed, since both may not be necessary, and which screws to use and when. Feeler gauge is very useful.

eta THIS: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11315