PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34 vs 17

tusk212
01-25-11, 14:07
Im kicking around the idea of picking up another Glock. Ive been thinking about trying out the 34 but want to know if it offers anything over the 17 that justifies the higher price. I currently carry a 17 on duty and carry a 19 off duty. This gun will be used for a home defense gun.

Palmguy
01-25-11, 14:16
You'll get slightly longer sight radius, a bit better velocity from the longer barrel, factory extended controls and 4.5 connector. Additionally the barrel will extend beyond the common WMLs like the X300 or TLR-1 where it doesn't with the G17; your light will probably not get quite as dirty (if you use one).

It would probably mean new holster(s) if you use one for HD purposes.

Whether or not those features justify a higher expense will probably come down to a personal decision. The G17 is perfectly serviceable as you know; the price delta is mitigated a bit if you would be buying things like a new connector and extended slide release anyways.

thelaw
01-25-11, 15:19
The 34's have the slide cut out on top as well to decrease weight.

Beat Trash
01-25-11, 15:30
I owned a 34. When I bought a 17, I spent some time shooting both the 17 and the 34 side by side. I ended up selling off the 34. I didn't really notice any advantages with to me when shooting the 34 s. the 17.

I carried a 19 as an off duty gun. My agency used S&W 3rd gen auto's as issued weapons, so the larger Glock was for home defensive uses.

To the OP, unless you just want to try something different, I'd get another 17.

The Gock 34 is an excellent pistol. But I personally don't see any significant advantages it has over the Glock 17 when the gun is to be used for a home defensive weapon.

thelaw
01-25-11, 15:33
Agreed. If you are considering carrying it, or using it for home defense, I'd go with the 17 out of these two choices. For carrying, I'd actually go with a G19.

I am getting a G34 for competition shooting only. I have no plans on carrying it or using it for home defense.

darr3239
01-25-11, 15:35
I ended up using a Glock 35 as my duty gun. It the same size as the 34, just in 40 caliber. I downsized from a 21 due to grip size. I definitely appreciate the longer sight radius, and a little bit more weight out front. Everything was a plus for the role I used it in. I did have to buy a new holster though.

For home defense I wouldn't think the larger size would be in the right direction. Either the 17, or especially the 19 would be better choices in my opinion. If you want the 34 for a target/competition gun, or if your agency allows it for duty wear, then buy it.

ucrt
01-25-11, 17:28

I had a 17L, which is longer than the 34. It shot great but like others have said, I picked up 19 and sold the 17L. The long barrel is just kind of always in the way.

No doubt, the long barrels shoot better but not enough (to me) to justify having to carry that "albatross" of a long barrel around.

But maybe it's just me...

GermanSynergy
01-25-11, 17:42
If you carry a 17 on duty, I'd go ahead and get another one, esp if it's going to be used in a HD role.

markm
01-25-11, 17:44
This gun will be used for a home defense gun.

Not to derail... but why a pistol for Home D? (as opposed to a carbine)

charlie1952
01-25-11, 18:03
Carry Glocks for both duty & home protection and would not criticize whichever model choice you made. But.....just to toss in another possible option; for home protection / personal carry I chose the Glock 32. In those roles the SIG 357 cartridge has, in my opinion, many advantages. Plus, with the Model 32 by simply purchasing additional barrels in 9 mm and 40 caliber (around $125 each) and magazines you have a variety of weapons in one.

kh86
01-25-11, 18:33
The 34's have the slide cut out on top as well to decrease weight.

I believe you can also get them with the slide not cut out on the top.

willowofwisp
01-25-11, 19:37
I believe you can also get them with the slide not cut out on the top.

nope thats not possible

dsg2003gt
01-25-11, 20:30
nope thats not possible

this.

I love the 34, its my favorite glock....other than the g19....thats my favorite.

VolGrad
01-25-11, 20:41
nope thats not possible

Correct. It's not just to make it lighter for the sake of making it lighter. I believe it is necessary to reduce the slide weight so the gun still functions reliably.

willowofwisp
01-25-11, 20:45
Correct. It's not just to make it lighter for the sake of making it lighter. I believe it is necessary to reduce the slide weight so the gun still functions reliably.

yup, the 34,19 and 17 slide have the same weight.

JSGlock34
01-25-11, 21:05
Personally I find the G34 to be the most enjoyable Glock to shoot and my favorite pistol. The longer sight radius and the lighter trigger make for a very accurate and controllable pistol. I purchased mine primarily for competition, as I prefer the smaller G19 for carry, but I've carried the G34 on occasion and don't find it excessively large.

The grip is the same size as the G17, and the barrel isn't that much longer - 4.49 inches vs. 5.32 inches (the G34 was designed to fit in the IDPA box and is about the size of a 1911, but obviously thicker due to the double stack magazine). If you can conceal a G17, you can conceal a G34.

At the Glock Armorer's course they stated that the cutout from the slide was to keep the slide weight roughly equal to that of the G17 for reliable functioning. I haven't put a G17 and a G34 slide on a scale to confirm that, but it makes sense.

Personally I don't care for the extended controls on the G34 and promptly replaced them with their stock components or the TangoDown aftermarket version. I found the extended slide release too easily activated, thus causing the slide to go forward on an empty magazine, whereas the extended magazine release provided a nice sharp edge to cut up my thumb.

Having started with a G19, it is funny that the G17 is the 9mm Glock I don't own. The G19 is a great all around carry pistol, I own a G26 for when I want something even smaller, and I added the G34 for competition use and training. The G17 didn't really fill any role for me.

SWATcop556
01-25-11, 21:33
There's nothing a G34 does that a G17 can't.

But that doesn't mean I don't own a G34.

For your intended roles listed I'd get another G17 or 19.

Glad to see you went with the G17 for duty.

blackboar
01-25-11, 22:34
I agree with everything said so far. 17 vs 34 is just a personal choice as to which one appeals to you. I went the route of picking up a 34. I must say I thoroughly enjoy shooting it. My buddy has a 17 and I would venture to say they're both the same with regards to the accuracy I can achieve out of it. In my decision to get the 34 over the 17, I own a 19(my favorite) and a 26, so I wanted to take 2 steps up in size. And to be honest with myself...the marketing helped...The Tactical/Practical Pistol. :D

Zog
01-25-11, 23:02
I carried a 34 on duty for awhile. I went back to the 17. The Longer gun just didn't handle as well for me. I have since gone to the 19 for all my carry needs on-duty and off.

Roy
01-26-11, 01:39
Have you shot the 34? what did you think?

I got a 34 before a 17 because i got a deal on one. If you want the 34 because u want it then jump on it. but another 17 would not be a bad thing.

and i have carried my 34 a lot with a Raven holster and a x300 . its not too bad for carry. no worse than my duty G22 and X300 combo.

Our SWAT team makes their guys carry 35's and a lot of the guys i have talked to havent seen a marked difference from their 22's

Good luck

skyugo
01-26-11, 02:25

Personally I shoot pistols a lot more proficiently than carbines. I've had some professional pistol training, shot competition, and generally run at least 5k a year through my 9mm's.

I think if you CCW and can only afford to train a lot with one, pistol is a good way to go. I also don't own a carbine at the moment for monetary reasons.

but yes, given proper time behind the trigger and training, a carbine is definitely a better way to go.

JonInWA
01-26-11, 08:28
I have both a G17 and a G34 (along with a G19 and a G21). While I like and enjoy my G34, I'm at the end of the day not terribly convinced that it really does anything that my G17 doesn't-but I don't really care. What I like is that on my G34 I use a slightly different trigger system-the 4.5 OEM connector with a NY1 spring, and a different sight setup-Warren Tacticals.

I like the subtle differences in the guns/actions while sharing the common platform. All of my Glocks are used for carry, IDPA, GSSF, and steel plate competitions. All are carried in both IWB and OWB holsters (length-wise, you're comparatively looking at the difference between a Government and a Commander with the two; both are eminently (and relatively easily) concealable.

If choosing between the two, I'd suggest trying both out first, ideally in the same range session. That way you'll be able to compare their balance and index (althought that really shouldn't differ between the two), trigger, sight plane/picture, and make your (initial!) choice objectively.

One caveat regarding using a G34 as a home defense gun (in addition, of course , to the lighter trigger pull if your G34 has the 4.5 lb connector): If you keep the OEM extended magazine release, be aware that if you place the gun on its left side (i.e., in a drawer or nightstand), and push down on it while retrieving it, the length of the magazine release protrudes far enough away from the receiver that the magazine can inadvertantly be partially ejected, with potentially disasterous results in a defensive scenario; alternatives to consider would be to keep the gun in an appropriate holster, or switch to the standard-length magazine release.

Best, Jon

Palmguy
01-26-11, 08:38
One caveat regarding using a G34 as a home defense gun (in addition, of course , to the lighter trigger pull if your G34 has the 4.5 lb connector): If you keep the OEM extended magazine release, be aware that if you place the gun on its left side (i.e., in a drawer or nightstand), and push down on it while retrieving it, the length of the magazine release protrudes far enough away from the receiver that the magazine can inadvertantly be partially ejected, with potentially disasterous results in a defensive scenario; alternatives to consider would be to keep the gun in an appropriate holster, or switch to the standard-length magazine release.

Best, Jon

That's a good point. I've swapped out the OE extended release for the Vickers release on the 34s I've had.

GlockWRX
01-26-11, 09:13
Additionally the barrel will extend beyond the common WMLs like the X300 or TLR-1 where it doesn't with the G17; your light will probably not get quite as dirty (if you use one).

This is one of the reasons I went with the G34 for my 'light' gun. My primary carry piece is a G17 and I was going to get a second one that was going to have a X300 semi-permanently mounted to it. I've put about a thousand rounds through the G34/X300 combo and I never have to clean the light. I mounted the X300 on my G17 and had to clean the light after 100 rounds.

If you intend to keep a light mounted on the pistol semi-regularly, I would go for the G34. It's perfect for that. Otherwise, I would go for the G17.

deeHKman
01-26-11, 11:07
You have a 17 so if me i would get the 34 i have several glock's and my 34 and 35 are my favorites. It will not be a better HD gun over the 17 but it's nice to have variety. The extra length should not be a problem many 1911's are 5in barrels. I really like the balance of my 34/35. good luck BTW good point about the light.

Gunpowder
01-26-11, 11:50
I have owned and enjoyed both, I'm a Glock fan. I shot the 34 better but it had a better trigger. One edge the 34 has over the 17 is sight radius and I don't see that being a issue for a home defense gun. Another benefit to the 34 would be velocity, there is .83 inches difference in barrel length. I don't have the numbers but I think the gain would be minimal. Again in a home defense environment I can't see this making a difference. But just maybe, I'm going out of my element here, the added velocity would give better hollow point expansion?

tusk212
01-26-11, 13:39

My house has very tight hallways. I also need to be able to have a hand free to pick up the kiddo, etc.

Well, after thinking about it I went ahead and ordered a 34 to try out. I figured if I dont care for it, I can always sell it and get my money back.

Palmguy
01-26-11, 14:05
I think you'll probably like it.

YVK
01-26-11, 15:40
I think 34 shoots flatter than 17, with less muzzle flip. It may be not easily noted when shooting the two back to back, but if one brings in a G19, it becomes apparent. There isn't much difference shooting 17 and 19 back to back, but when one shoots 34 and 19 together, it is quite noticeable.

deeHKman
01-26-11, 15:53
I think 34 shoots flatter than 17, with less muzzle flip. It may be not easily noted when shooting the two back to back, but if one brings in a G19, it becomes apparent. There isn't much difference shooting 17 and 19 back to back, but when one shoots 34 and 19 together, it is quite noticeable.

+1 very true.

dsg2003gt
01-26-11, 20:20
+1 very true.

completely agree, I have all three guns mentioned, and I notice a big difference in my follow up timing when shooting the 34 as compared to the 19.

JB326
01-26-11, 21:47
For patrol or 'SWAT' purposes, I carry a G35 instead of my issued G22. I shoot my 35 considerably better and faster than my 22. Part of it might be mental, and part maybe some of the things already mentioned (reduced muzzle flip, longer radius, etc), but the simple fact is that I shoot the 35 better every time.

tusk212
01-29-11, 14:31
Havent got a chance to shoot it due to weather/work, but I think I'll like it. Feels pretty good with the X300 on it.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/tusk212/DSC00875.jpg

JSGlock34
01-29-11, 15:39
Nice purchase. You really couldn't have gone wrong with either choice, but I think the G34 will serve you well.

Roy
01-29-11, 17:11
I Dig the OD nice choice

FailureDrill-P099
01-29-11, 17:19
My dept. went from 22's to 35's. I noticed a difference. The 35 seamed to have a lot more pointability and I was faster on to the target. I dont know why it just worked for me. I found I never used my 22 again.

Now I am thinking about a 34 and I just got a 17. I personaly feel It is a good choice.

The only way you will really know is to shoot one.

CoryCop25
01-29-11, 18:06
I do not own a 17 but I do have a 19 and a 34. The 34 is my absolute favorite of all my Glocks. All of my handguns for that matter. I used to use my 21 for training but when transitioning from the rifle to the 21, the recoil was just enough to slow me down. I switched to the 34 and the recoil feels similar to the AR during a transition.

EzGoingKev
05-18-13, 13:22
I have a 17 and 19. I think the 19 is a perfect balance between size and concealability for EDC.

Once you mount a light though things change IMO. I have x300's on both pistols which pushes the length of concealment out to the 34 -

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/tusk212/DSC00875.jpg

I have been going back and forth on purchasing a 34 and then cutting the magwell down to use the 19's mags.

Voodoo_Man
05-18-13, 13:44
http://i.imgur.com/fMvAFhG.jpg

I have all the above.

That said, I am not a massive guy, I cannot carry the 34 concealed. The 17 maybe and the 19 I do all the time.

The 34 has a few things I really like, longer sight radius, reduced felt recoil and OEM negative trigger bar and upgraded slide release. For me the 34 is a dedicated HD gun which I take to the range once in a while.

tmanker
05-18-13, 23:19
http://i.imgur.com/fMvAFhG.jpg

I have all the above.

That said, I am not a massive guy, I cannot carry the 34 concealed. The 17 maybe and the 19 I do all the time.

The 34 has a few things I really like, longer sight radius, reduced felt recoil and OEM negative trigger bar and upgraded slide release. For me the 34 is a dedicated HD gun which I take to the range once in a while.

Where's the 17L?

Voodoo_Man
05-19-13, 06:19
Where's the 17L?

If I can only find one.

Rayrevolver
05-19-13, 11:07
Holy necropost gents.

I traded for a G34 and it came with a 17L barrel. I have not shot it in this configuration since it would bump me out of Production/SSP.

Could be a decent night stand pistol. I haven't figured out a way to keep a carbine near the bed and make it child safe.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/G3417L_zps0949b368.jpg (http://s783.photobucket.com/user/rayrevolver/media/Public/G3417L_zps0949b368.jpg.html)