PDA

View Full Version : Pistols with reversible mag releases - actuating mag release with firing hand?

dookie1481
01-25-11, 15:08
I've read quite a few people say they release the mag on their P30 with the firing hand middle finger...does anyone do this with their M&P? I hate shifting the gun in my hand to release the mag, as I have trouble re-establishing a good firing grip afterward.

Just wondering if anyone has reversed the mag release in their M&P or a similar pistol.

Jay

F-Trooper05
01-25-11, 15:20
I've never heard of anyone doing that on a P30. I'm having a hard time even visualizing how it's possible.

Trajan
01-25-11, 15:23
Have you tried using the small backstrap? How small are your hands/fingers?

operator81
01-25-11, 15:38
I have used an M&P belonging to a lefty and found it very easy to use my trigger finger to release the mag. Were I not Glock only I would consider using an M&P set up in that fashion. If you have an M&P just set it up that way and see how it works for you.

dookie1481
01-25-11, 15:39
Have you tried using the small backstrap? How small are your hands/fingers?

Tiny. With the small backstrap on, my thumb barely touches the rear of the mag release.

Jay

wilco423
01-25-11, 15:51
I actually liked my M&P 45 much better that way. Unfortuantely, the release wasn't covered by my Safariland duty holster, so I ran it the normal way (thumb release). I thought mag changes were much smoother when using the trigger finger, since it didn't require changing my grip on the gun at all.

jwperry
01-25-11, 16:14
I've never heard of anyone doing that on a P30. I'm having a hard time even visualizing how it's possible.

Magazine release is part of the lower trigger guard, different from say the classic 1911/Glock/M&P design. On the P30, you can just drop your trigger finger down towards your palm to drop the mag.

F-Trooper05
01-25-11, 16:29
Magazine release is part of the lower trigger guard, different from say the classic 1911/Glock/M&P design. On the P30, you can just drop your trigger finger down towards your palm to drop the mag.

Yeah, I own two of them. I've still never heard of anyone hitting the release with their middle finger.

okie john
01-25-11, 18:29
I thought mag changes were much smoother when using the trigger finger, since it didn't require changing my grip on the gun at all.

That's how Jeff Cooper recommended handling the 1911 left-handed. It works like a champ on most other pistols as well.

Okie John

YVK
01-25-11, 19:48
Yeah, I own two of them. I've still never heard of anyone hitting the release with their middle finger.

I know of some people using middle finger - for HKs and for reversed push button releases on M&P, and also lefties using their middle finger on Glock mag release. The reason is that some people find they still would have to change their master grip if they used their trigger fingers.

F-Trooper05
01-25-11, 20:32
Oh I gotchya, I misread the OP. I thought he was saying that people accidently hit the release while they're shooting. My bad.

Evolution
01-25-11, 21:25
I carry an HK USP at work, always use my shooting hand middle finger to release the magazine.

My personal firearms (Carry/range/competition) are M&P's with the magazine release switched to the right side. (I'm right handed) Just like the HK I use my middle finger on my shooting hand to release the magazine.

For me it's faster, and easier to reach without shifting my grip at all.

Give it a try, I think you might find it works quite well.

dookie1481
01-25-11, 21:46
I carry an HK USP at work, always use my shooting hand middle finger to release the magazine.

My personal firearms (Carry/range/competition) are M&P's with the magazine release switched to the right side. (I'm right handed) Just like the HK I use my middle finger on my shooting hand to release the magazine.

For me it's faster, and easier to reach without shifting my grip at all.

Give it a try, I think you might find it works quite well.

Yeah I just moved it and did some dryfire...it feels much smoother and more natural. I'll have to time it, but I'm pretty sure it is faster for me, and I don't have to shift the gun in my hand.

Thanks all.

Kegger
01-26-11, 08:33
I do use my middle finger to release the mags on my M&P9, I find it much easier and faster to do it that way and I don't have to alter my firing grip.

Though I still use my thumb from time to time, I prefer the middle finger.

01-26-11, 08:54
I use the trigger finger on my P-30. I find it very fast and easy, in fact it is the only way I can see using a HK style mag release. I have long thumbs so I have never had a problem using a standard left side mag button. I see overly sticky grips a bigger problem. I like a little slip, allows you move the gun around if need be.

montrala
01-26-11, 09:24
I've read quite a few people say they release the mag on their P30 with the firing hand middle finger...does anyone do this with their M&P? I hate shifting the gun in my hand to release the mag, as I have trouble re-establishing a good firing grip afterward.

Just wondering if anyone has reversed the mag release in their M&P or a similar pistol.

I'm lefty and I use my middle finger to activate magazine release on all pistols I use. This include HKs with paddle release but also my STI 2011, 1911s, Glocks, CZ, Tanfoglio, etc. Sometime it require some effort if gun has particularly strong magazine catch spring. I do not try to use tip of middle finger to activate push button release, I use first section of finger to do this. For paddle release on HK and Walther I use tip of middle finger.

For once I installed right side magazine release on my STI to use thumb activation. For me it was disaster - required lot of grip shift to release mag and finally ended by my only one IPSC match DQ I ever got for AD during mag change. Middle finger release is for me easier, faster and safer (trigger finger not only must clear trigger guard as usual but it is forced high up on side of side to make room for middle finger to reach for safety).

exiledtoIA
01-26-11, 11:49
Never done it with any full size service pistol.
However my ladies S&W 22A1 goes bombs away every time I shoot it.

Sgt_Gold
01-26-11, 12:19
The mag release on the M9 can be set up on either side. I shot a combat match with the button set up for 'left hand' use. I'm right handed so I used my trigger finger and found that it was easier than breaking my grip and using my thumb.

That's how Jeff Cooper recommended handling the 1911 left-handed. It works like a champ on most other pistols as well.

Okie John

Metallicus
01-26-11, 13:24
On my 1911, which I practice with the most and is set up with custom parts to fit me. I drop the mag with my index finger of my right hand and place my trigger finger on top of the slide release in anticipation of the new mag, then a firm seat of the mag usually drops my finger. I've found this is the fastest reload I can do, albeit complicated.

On Glock, SIG, Beretta, any other pistol that uses a "browning" style mag release; I use my trigger finger to depress the mag release and then use my reaction hand (in this case right) to go over the top of the slide pull back and send it home. The only difference with HK is because of their mag release I do this with either hand effectively.

So long answer short. This is effective, try it.

montrala
01-26-11, 17:39
On my 1911, which I practice with the most and is set up with custom parts to fit me. I drop the mag with my index finger of my right hand and place my trigger finger on top of the slide release in anticipation of the new mag, then a firm seat of the mag usually drops my finger. I've found this is the fastest reload I can do, albeit complicated.

I use exactly same technique on my STI. Makes quite slick and fast slide lock magazine changes. I think that most pistols have slide release lever on wrong side for right handed :)

Second change on this vid is from slide lock and I use middle finger release technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jyFQtStihc