PDA

View Full Version : If Green is so hot for ACOG's, why not others?

ASH556
01-25-11, 16:01
There's all this data out now talking about how Trijicon's green is the most visible to the human eye due to its position in the spectrum. If it's so great, why aren't Aimpoint, Eotech, and others offering Green?

JSantoro
01-25-11, 16:18
It's not Trijicon's green, it's the electromagnetic spectrum's green. ;)

The green in the 532nm (+/-20nm) range is only used for certain, specific applications within the military, such as less-lethal ocular interruption in conjunction with escalation-of-force procedures; in other words, laser dazzlers. The brands listed, among others, have contracts with the military and know which side of their bread has the butter.

Also, green doesn't often work so well in conjunction with image intensification equipment, as the wavelength range of a GenIII I-square tube begins around 600nm. Lots of individual-optic-specific military applications sorta require a passive capability, and that tone of green sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl, even if it were to work with all I-square.

Additionally, cost. The stuff used to create either the lasing chamber medium or the diode that emits that wavelength is more pricey than the stuff that creates either IR or visible red. Check out price differences between similar devices: http://www.lasermax.com/cat_info.php?id=10

payj
01-26-11, 01:34
Fwiw my eyes like the red better. I think everyone is different.....