PDA

View Full Version : Barrel type and Accuracy

Shihan
08-30-07, 14:12
Another weird question from me. Im thinking of building a SPR with a 18" CMMG 1/8 stainless barrel. What I have currently is a 16"chrome lined ER Shaw 4140 barrel with a 1/9 twist. I probably wont shoot over 200 yards and will shoot either 55gr or 69gr match. What kind of accuracy difference should I expect between the two barrels? and is it even worth doing?

Thanks

DRich
08-30-07, 14:54
Another weird question from me. Im thinking of building a SPR with a 18" CMMG 1/8 stainless barrel. What I have currently is a 16"chrome lined ER Shaw 4140 barrel with a 1/9 twist. I probably wont shoot over 200 yards and will shoot either 55gr or 69gr match. What kind of accuracy difference should I expect between the two barrels? and is it even worth doing?

Thanks

A match grade stainless barrel will be more accurate and consistant than a mass produced service grade barrel...but the key element will always be the skill of the shooter.

If you think your skills have surpassed the capabilities of your current barrel, then you'd be well served with an upgrade. If you can't shoot decent, repeatable groups with the Shaw barrel, you probably won't notice an improvement with the CMMG.

Just my opinion...

Shihan
08-30-07, 16:55
Im a retired military guy who shot for a living so I can still do a decent group but a sniper I am not.