PDA

View Full Version : 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system??

nobody knows
01-26-11, 00:10
Hello everyone I tried a search and didn't find anything.

Anyway does anyone make a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system? It needs to be CHF and have a 1:7 twist rate.and M4 feed ramps.

Thanks for any help.

Alaskapopo
01-26-11, 00:34

Anyway does anyone make a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system? It needs to be CHF and have a 1:7 twist rate.

Thanks for any help.

I have been told a 18 inch is about the shortest barrel you can run on a rifle length system.
Pat

thopkins22
01-26-11, 00:39
I have been told a 18 inch is about the shortest barrel you can run on a rifle length system.
Pat

Yeah but we were also told that mid length gas wouldn't work with a 14.5" barrel.

I don't think any reputable manufacturers are doing it...but I'd like one to try.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 00:59
Yes you can run a rifle length system on a 16" barrel. It's just finding someone that does it. I know bush master does on the dissipator[sp] but I don't want one from them. And I know sal runs them on the Grail but he doest make them with a 1:7 or with a CHF barrel. I've been looking for one for a long time and figured there would be someone on this sight that could steer me in the right direction.

Iraqgunz
01-26-11, 01:13
Is there any reason why you can't run a mid length 16" set up?

Why does it need to be CHF?

Anyway does anyone make a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system? It needs to be CHF and have a 1:7 twist rate.

Thanks for any help.

Heartbreaker
01-26-11, 01:18
CMMG did a 16"/rifle length gas upper, not CHF though. I've heard they are pretty nice shooters. I assume the gas port is larger than what would be used on a mid or carbine, not sure how that would affect barrel life if that's your primary concern.

JR TACTICAL
01-26-11, 01:40
[B][B]
Yes you can run a rifle length system on a 16" barrel. It's just finding someone that does it. I know bush master does on the dissipator[sp] but I don't want one from them. And I know sal runs them on the Grail but he doest make them with a 1:7 or with a CHF barrel. I've been looking for one for a long time and figured there would be someone on this sight that could steer me in the right direction.

I thought that the dissapator was a Carbine length with a low pro gas block and had rifle length handguards???

To answer thwarting op... don't know of anyone who makes one and I agree with gunz why not just run a midlength?

nobody knows
01-26-11, 02:13
I want the rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel mostly because of the longer sight radius plus I like the way it looks with a standard FSB. The CHF barrel because I was told that it added to the life of the barrel. Other then that I wouldn't mind if I could get one that has a LP mid length gas system with a standard FSB mounted where a rifle length FSB should be mounted. As long as it's 1:7 twist and made of quality steel and has M4 feed ramps.

The bushmaster may very well be set up that way I was just basing may statement on the way it looked. If that's the case then I apologize for the misinformation.

Iraqgunz
01-26-11, 02:34
To the best of my knowledge most Bushamsters are 1/9 and they aren't quality by any stretch of the imagination.

I want the rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel mostly because of the longer sight radius plus I like the way it looks with a standard FSB. The CHF barrel because I was told that it added to the life of the barrel. Other then that I wouldn't mind if I could get one that has a LP mid length gas system with a standard FSB mounted where a rifle length FSB should be mounted. As long as it's 1:7 twist and made of quality steel.

The bushmaster may very well be set up that way I was just basing may statement on the way it looked. If that's the case then I apologize for the misinformation.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 03:03
Yeah I definitely would not go with bm. I was replying to the poster above my last post.

Magic_Salad0892
01-26-11, 03:18
BCM makes a midlength dissapator.

The KAC is as close to a rifle length as you get on a 16.1'' gun.

I believe it's about 11.4'' or so.

justin_247
01-26-11, 03:53
Jansen Jones of the Noveske Shooting Team is running a 17" barrel with a rifle-length gas system. That's about the shortest you can probably run.

I've heard of MSTN experimenting with such setups, so you may want to contact them.

The longest gas system I've heard of being reliably run on a 16" barrel is the intermediate length that MSTN markets... it's slightly longer than KAC's intermediate length, but still shorter than rifle-length.

bnanaphone
01-26-11, 08:58
I have to agree with Magic Salad, it sounds like you are describing the BCM Dissipator. Here is a link to a thread from this forum talking about it. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62149) Use this upper with an A5 RE and it will feel like a rifle length system.

SomeOtherGuy
01-26-11, 09:00
AR kit builder Del-Ton is offering a 16" dissipator model that supposedly has no intermediate gas block and is therefore running rifle gas length. I haven't read any reviews of it in use, and DTI is not exactly moving "up" the quality tiers from brands discussed above.

DCsampson
01-26-11, 09:30
Adco firearms has a midlength, 1/7 barrel with rifle length fsb that they call their "custom cruiser" it doesn't appear to be chf or chrome lined however. A bit pricy and out of stock also.
If BCM has them, that's your best bet.

decodeddiesel
01-26-11, 10:02
The longest gas system I've heard of being reliably run on a 16" barrel is the intermediate length that MSTN markets... it's slightly longer than KAC's intermediate length, but still shorter than rifle-length.

Dear god their site is terrible. Trying to find info on this is damn impossible.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 10:28
I have to agree with Magic Salad, it sounds like you are describing the BCM Dissipator. Here is a link to a thread from this forum talking about it. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62149) Use this upper with an A5 RE and it will feel like a rifle length system.

Thank you this exactly what I was looking for.

See I did not realize that is how bm and sal did it. I was told by my "gun shop" Guy wen I first seen one and he told me that it was a rifle length gas system. I had no idea or ever thought that it was just a FSB pined up in front of the gas system. Thank all of you for clearing that up and forgive my stupidity lol.

rob_s
01-26-11, 10:37
It sounds like you need a new "gun shop guy". ;)

IIRC The Olympic Arms version of the Dissipator from years ago was one that actually used the rifle-length gas system on a 16" barrel, unlike the BM and BCM which have a slave gas-block hidden under the handguards.

I have both BCM and BM Dissipator uppers in my safe and IIRC in the linked thread I have comparison pictures of the two. IMHO there is no contest in terms of which is better, but the BCM is not a production part.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 10:47
^^^yeah there is no comparison between the two companies. And unfortunately I just went over to the BCM sight and found out they are no longer making them. And I'm definitely not going to settle for a bm barrel, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait or try and find one on the used market, witch is probably not likely.

rob_s
01-26-11, 11:08
It's not that BCM is no longer making them, it's that they never did make a production run. I think there's maybe 4 or 5 out there in the hands of various writers, industry partners, and trainers.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 11:30
It's not that BCM is no longer making them, it's that they never did make a production run. I think there's maybe 4 or 5 out there in the hands of various writers, industry partners, and trainers.

O okay thanks for clearing that up. Do you by any chance know if they are ever going to??? Thanks

rob_s
01-26-11, 11:50
In speaking with BCM I suspect that they are waiting on the release of the Magpul rifle-length MOE handguards, at the very least. After that it will be an issue of production schedules and perceived market need.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, would like to see these hit production I would suggest emailing or calling BCM just so they know that the interest is there.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 11:57
Thanks alot Rob, will do ill email them right away. Now hopefully magpul will get on this quickly lol.

bnanaphone
01-26-11, 14:19
If you are looking for something really soon, you could always get THIS upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm) or THIS upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm) and send it to ADCO. Have them move the FSB out to rifle length, install a low-pro gas block and get some rifle-length handguards. Unless I am missing something.

It may run you a little more than what BCM could produce but who knows when that item will materialize.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 14:28
^^^^thanks I will look into that. I'm not really an internet Guy so I have a hard time finding this kind of stuff.

Evil Bert
01-26-11, 14:42
So from what I read, you want a 16" rifle length gas system so that you can have a longer sight radius and use the standard FSB? Do you want the FSB for looks? Because if you do not have to have the FSB , you can simply use a mid-length gas system with a low profile gas block and run a rifle length hand guard and achieve your longer sight radius.

Or did I miss something entirely?

dennisuello
01-26-11, 14:46
So from what I read, you want a 16" rifle length gas system so that you can have a longer sight radius and use the standard FSB? Do you want the FSB for looks? Because if you do not have to have the FSB , you can simply use a mid-length gas system with a low profile gas block and run a rifle length hand guard and achieve your longer sight radius.

i was just going to ask the same thing.

thopkins22
01-26-11, 14:48

Or did I miss something entirely?

Perhaps he wants a fixed front sight base because it's a bombproof way to have a front sight on the rifle. Many people I respect feel that a fixed FSB is the only way to go on a fighting rifle. I'm not sure I completely agree anymore(due to better rails and sturdy folding sights,) but it's sound reasoning.

On the flip side, I'm not interested in running a fixed FSB just for sights, in front of a low profile gas block. I either want them to make it work with rifle length gas, or just stick with mid length.

rob_s
01-26-11, 15:20
I think you guys should go raise your concerns in the linked thread rather than rehashing it here.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 17:13
Hello all, what I was looking for at first was a misunderstanding. I was told by my gun shop Guy who is apparently not as knowledgeable as I thought. That rifles like the bm dissipater where run with a rifle length gas system. Wen in actuality its just a mid length system with a fixed front site in the same place as a rifle length system. That's fine with me because I don't really care if it has a mid length as long as the FSB is where I want it. Evil Bert yes it is mostly for the benefit of the fixed FSB as well as the cosmetic aspect. I really just like the way it looks and functions. Hope that helps some. I kinda got everyone confused sorry.

nobody knows
01-26-11, 18:05
Okay I think I have found something that maybe you all can give me some advice on. I'm just wandering if this is a quality product.

From a companies named ADCO

The ADCO custom cruiser.

ADCO M4 upper receiver

ADCO MP B/BC/CH/W/o-ring

ADCO mid length gas system. 1:7 CM-V Chrome lined barrel.
And DD 12" omega rail.

Couple thing's I noticed is it doesn't say anything about HPT'ing any of the components it says it MP tested. Does this mean they don't or does it mean that they assume that you would know because they MP the part's? Or is it one of those companies that try to get by without people noticing.

Another thing not mentioned is if the barrel has M4 cuts. Is this something similar to the question above. In that since the receiver does they assume I would know that the barrel does as well.
Thanks I'm sorry if these seem like obvious or stupid questions.

The whole upper is available for

Or just the barrel for

Mmmm I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the price so I'm going to skip on that until I find out if it's okay.

Ilove2shoot
01-26-11, 22:50
Bushmaster USED to make a "True" Dissapator. it was a 16" HBar with rifle length gas system and fixed front sight.......had a friend turn mine down to a midweight under the handgaurds. love the rifle. it is the smoothest 16 DI carbine I own. It will not run full auto, but will run everything else I put in it on semi auto. albiet I have not tried wolf in it......If I was to get another, I would find a qaulity 20" with fixed front sight, none chrome lined, and just have it cut to 16", threaded, crowned......the gas port will probably need to be tweaked.....but that is not a biggy.

Bryson
01-27-11, 16:37
Mistake on my part.

koz
02-17-11, 20:47
Jansen Jones of the Noveske Shooting Team is running a 17" barrel with a rifle-length gas system. That's about the shortest you can probably run.

I've heard of MSTN experimenting with such setups, so you may want to contact them.

From ar15.com - Wes (MSTN) talks about his intermediate gas length barrel. LINK (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=521661) Noveske makes the tube and barrel and I guess Wes has them cut to 16".

Tangotag
02-17-11, 21:35
I chopped a 20" and tweaked the gas open a little for a 16" rifle gas gun.
It's primarily used by my wife and daughter for irons plinking on steel targets at favorite range.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/Choppedexposed.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/Chopped.jpg

Fire
02-17-11, 22:41
^ That looks really good. Would love to see how it shoots. Thanks for sharing those pics

mjkeat
02-17-11, 23:38
I chopped a 20" and tweaked the gas open a little for a 16" rifle gas gun.
It's primarily used by my wife and daughter for irons plinking on steel targets at favorite range.

What size gas port would you recommend for an application similar to this?

13MPG
02-20-11, 02:37
Okay I think I have found something that maybe you all can give me some advice on. I'm just wandering if this is a quality product.

From a companies named ADCO

The ADCO custom cruiser.

Here is one for sale on this site:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73072

I bought a rifle from the seller a few years ago and he was a good guy to deal with.

TheToad263
02-27-13, 01:19
I want the rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel mostly because of the longer sight radius plus I like the way it looks with a standard FSB. The CHF barrel because I was told that it added to the life of the barrel. Other then that I wouldn't mind if I could get one that has a LP mid length gas system with a standard FSB mounted where a rifle length FSB should be mounted. As long as it's 1:7 twist and made of quality steel and has M4 feed ramps.

If you are mainly wanting the rifle length gas system for sight radius... then why not just use a low profile gas block, a 12"+ rail and then use rail mounted iron sights? This way you don't need to settle for the one or two builders that offer a 16" barrel with a rifle gas system... I would want one for a different reason. I would want the longer gas system simply because it should improve the recoil "feeling" in the rifle. Thats one of the main reasons why the KAC SR15 is so great, it has a gas system that is longer than the standard mid-length tube, but not as long as the rifle length, so you would think that an even longer gas system would be beneficial.

Iraqgunz
02-27-13, 01:27
In case you missed it, you are replying to a thread that is 13 months old.

If you are mainly wanting the rifle length gas system for sight radius... then why not just use a low profile gas block, a 12"+ rail and then use rail mounted iron sights? This way you don't need to settle for the one or two builders that offer a 16" barrel with a rifle gas system... I would want one for a different reason. I would want the longer gas system simply because it should improve the recoil "feeling" in the rifle. Thats one of the main reasons why the KAC SR15 is so great, it has a gas system that is longer than the standard mid-length tube, but not as long as the rifle length, so you would think that an even longer gas system would be beneficial.

WNY_Whitetailer
02-27-13, 01:41
More like 24...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

RyanB
02-27-13, 02:32
I have a 17" M16A2 barrel with an unmodified port that likes an H buffer and 5.56 ammo. Haven't tried it out in the cold but it seems to work well down into the 40s.

16" starts to be a bit of a stretch I think.

ClassIIIGunsmith
09-19-14, 06:17
Would it work better if you ran the gun with 'gassier' ammo or would it work better with a larger round like 308? Because y'all sound like 1930 germans with that "drill bigger hole/ hole in barrel bad" not to be rude or anything. I personally have run a 1973 M16A1 with the factory 'dissipator' barrel that they built for weapon trials, in full auto and semi auto and found that there is no problems using xm-193 55gr FMJ lake city ammo; but side note on that bring nose plugs if you want to dump a 63 round drum mag through that cause of the nasty gas cloud the gun made. The reason for the bigger gas cloud is that colt gave the original 'dissipator' barrel a 'cup' to increase the gas flow into the receiver and into your face.
Thats my $0.02

WS6
09-20-14, 04:02
14.5" w/rifle gas is very doable. You just need to take advantage of venturi effect.

ClassIIIGunsmith
09-20-14, 10:06
14.5" w/rifle gas is very doable. You just need to take advantage of venturi effect.

Are you saying you need to use a special muzzle flash to hold the pressure just long enough?

birdkiller
09-20-14, 17:33
Salient has been putting out rifle length gas systems on 14.5 barrels for a little while now. Seems weird to me....

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l605/psalms37_4/ScreenShot2014-09-20at30751PM_zpsc3929ac1.png (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/psalms37_4/media/ScreenShot2014-09-20at30751PM_zpsc3929ac1.png.html)

WS6
09-20-14, 17:46
Are you saying you need to use a special muzzle flash to hold the pressure just long enough?

No, you take advantage of the venturi effect with the use of a chambered gas-block to increase the velocity of gas-flow through the gas-tube. It's like building a set of properly designed headers to "scavenge" exhaust gasses, or like a carburetor venturis, etc.

JAustin316
09-24-14, 15:45
Salient has been putting out rifle length gas systems on 14.5 barrels for a little while now. Seems weird to me....

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l605/psalms37_4/ScreenShot2014-09-20at30751PM_zpsc3929ac1.png (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/psalms37_4/media/ScreenShot2014-09-20at30751PM_zpsc3929ac1.png.html)

My friend purchased one. By far one of the smoothest ARs that I have ever shot.

Caeser25
09-24-14, 16:15
Seems like if you opened the gas port just enough, the problem would be solved. Certainly doesn't sound like rocket surgery??

BufordTJustice
09-25-14, 08:34
Seems like if you opened the gas port just enough, the problem would be solved. Certainly doesn't sound like rocket surgery??
It's not that simple. Several resident experts have already posted about this.

WS6
09-25-14, 08:43

Nope. You take a gas-block with a secondary chamber and use the venturi effect to accelerate/scavenge gas-flow.

MistWolf
09-25-14, 09:36
No, you take advantage of the venturi effect with the use of a chambered gas-block to increase the velocity of gas-flow through the gas-tube. It's like building a set of properly designed headers to "scavenge" exhaust gasses, or like a carburetor venturis, etc.

The velocity of the gas of smokeless powder is supersonic. Supersonic gases are slowed to subsonic speeds when passed through a venturi, which in the case of gas operated rifles, is the gas port.

Reciprocating engines depend on a constant air flow through intake and exhaust to properly "scavenge" the exhaust from the cylinders, a condition an AR will only see if fired full auto

WS6
09-25-14, 09:52
The velocity of the gas of smokeless powder is supersonic. Supersonic gases are slowed to subsonic speeds when passed through a venturi, which in the case of gas operated rifles, is the gas port.

Reciprocating engines depend on a constant air flow through intake and exhaust to properly "scavenge" the exhaust from the cylinders, a condition an AR will only see if fired full auto

I'm not sure what the normal velocity of gas through the gas-block is, I'm just relaying to you how they get a rifle-length 14.5" to run.

MistWolf
09-25-14, 10:03
How fast is the bullet traveling when it passes the gas port? Faster than the speed of sound. The gas of smokeless powder would expand at a constant rate of roughly 5700 fps if not restricted by the bullet.

A 14.5 inch AR runs on the pressure of the residual gas that's inside the bore after the bullet has uncorked the muzzle, same as ARs of all barrel length. It's rocket science but it's not complicated

ggammell
09-25-14, 15:49
It's rocket science but it's not complicated

Permission to use this line where appropriate? That's funny.

Iraqgunz
09-25-14, 16:18
I just want to know what real advantage there is when there are proven ways of doing things that do not require proprietary components or a Masters degree.

MistWolf
09-26-14, 01:15
Permission to use this line where appropriate? That's funny.

Be my guest

Clint
10-05-14, 18:45
Do you have any more details on this?

A chambered gas blocks sound more like a pressure reservoir than a venturi device.

Nope. You take a gas-block with a secondary chamber and use the venturi effect to accelerate/scavenge gas-flow.