PDA

View Full Version : HK Question

Striker
01-26-11, 00:34
Can an HK pistol be rebuilt like a 1911 can be? I'm curious whether this is possible and honestly don't know enough about gunsmithing to answer it for myself. I know HKs are reliable and have seen Todd's HK45 and P30 durability tests, but I was curious whether after x number of rounds, can an HK can be rebuilt like a 1911. If this has been covered, I apologize as I couldn't find anything on it. Just trying to learn something new. Thanks.

kaltblitz
01-26-11, 00:54
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Yes, all the small parts inside an H&K USP can be replaced. Then again you can do that on a Glock, SIG, Beretta, S&W or just about any other modern service pistol.

The average shooter will never get above 15,000 rounds through a pistol. Most LE service guns are lucky if they get anywhere close to that mark over 15 to 20 year service life.

Most police department armorers replace (or should replace) parts according to a schedule or based upon wear. Since most cops don't keep a round count of their pistols a certain amount of guessing is involved. Swapping the springs and some other select internal components along with cleaning and lubing a pistol will keep it going is usually all that is required.

F-Trooper05
01-26-11, 03:42
What he said^^^

1911's have to be rebuilt because they have about a 15,000 round service life (if you're lucky). If you shoot so frequently that you actually have to "rebuild" your HK's, than you're a freak show.

John_Wayne777
01-26-11, 08:43
If you mean can an H&K frame (the part the BATFE defines as the actual handgun) have a new slide and barrel installed on them, yes. They can be if H&K has the parts on hand and you have enough cash to buy them. Of those major components, however, the frame is probably the most likely to break on you, and that after an absurdly large round count that one generally only gets to if they have a limitless ammo budget and the luxury of spending absurd numbers of hours on the range because shooting comprises the bulk of their job description.

The practice of rebuilding 1911's generally involves taking the existing frame and installing a new slide and barrel (some of the old school guys will tighten up the tolerances on an existing slide and a frame by peening them) that are then fitted to one another. The H&K is a completely different animal and you won't see anything like this for H&K handguns or indeed for any modern service pistols.

In perfect honesty, it is not required.

Julian
01-26-11, 09:45
I have one that is close to 12,000 through it. I'm not messing with this one just to see what gives up the ghost first.
I'm an armorer for HK pistols and several others. Ha Ha John Wayne has it spot on. If you can get the parts. Seems the large military contracts get first choice of parts.
I have learned patients. waiting for parts. For the most part, the parts I've changed were by choice not need. I've done the same for Sig parts also. I've been waiting 17 months for 4 sears from Sig.

Striker
01-26-11, 21:42
Thank you gentlemen.

YVK
01-26-11, 23:47
My P7M8 was de facto rebuilt last year by HK - new barrel, piston, springs. No charge to me other than shipping - first owner lifetime warranty. Note that this now discontinued, albeit recently, model.